Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is heating or air conditioning more vital to human habitation?
Heating 67 87.01%
Air Conditioning 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Not really, because people can die of dehydration at any temperature. It's actually quite easy to become dehydrated in extreme cold. And if you drink enough fluids (adding a little sugar and salt is important if your fluid is plain water), you're not going to become dehydrated even if it's over 40C.

Yes. Theoretically you can get hydrated in extreme cold. But you're REALLY stretching it, broski. What makes one get dehydrated faster in hot weather, especially DRY hot weather, is sweating. The more you sweat the thirstier you get. While you can certainly sweat in cold weather, and believe me, when it was a bit colder this month, I was sweating while playing hockey, but its no wear near as parching as the heat. And I been in sub-zero temps and not once did it occur to me "man, I sure am thirsty." However, I've been in dry heat and even comfortable dry heat has dehydrated me.

Aside from that, I'll take playing hockey in 7 degree weather versus playing football in 97 degree weather. Which has a higher risk of someone passing out from being dehydrated, ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 01:27 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
We often hear of how places like Phoenix, Houston, or Miami were sparsely populated before the advent of air conditioning. But why doesn't anyone say that Toronto, Montreal, or Minneapolis were hardly inhabitable before the advent of modern heating?

Wood stoves and furnaces were very inefficient, contributed to filthy indoor air quality, and it was very hard to stockpile any amount of wood, often, on the windswept praries.

And let's face it: you'll die far faster if exposed to the elements during a winter in the upper Midwest than exposed to the elements during a Florida summer.
I've never lived anywhere that had air-conditioning or had it in a car. I spent three years in Georgia and Alabama in the Army and you know we had no air-conditioning in our barracks. If I went out for a run during daytime in the summer, the heat and humidity were so high, that two miles felt like a marathon. But healthy, active people can tolerate a lot of heat and cold.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

If you are prepared you can survive anywhere. People survive on Antarctica or in the Outback of Australia.
Nobody survives in Antarctica, or it would have a native population. Depending on technology is not survival.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:34 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I said heating was more vital. It seems to me, that without heat, when you need it, you can more easily die. Without air conditioning, with proper considerations, you can survive, albeit not all that comfortably maybe. You lay low, you take your siestas in the middle of the afternoon, etc....but you can survive with proper precautions.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:34 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
. Fires are inefficient and quickly increase smoke, and even then it is still pretty cold if the temperature outside is well below freezing. You could also run into a shortage of wood.
A wood fire can keep any type of enclosed structure pretty darn warm, I assure you. Sometimes you even have to open the windows (in sub-zero F weather) because it gets to hot. Trust me, I've been there.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
I think what some people are also missing is that you have easier access to food in warm climates, where in subpolar or tundra climates, almost all if not all food has to be imported

Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Unless I'm missing something, this is a no brainer. Our air conditioning during 1940-mid 1960s was the electric fan. Hell, people would use cardboard hand-held fans to fan themselves. We survived,

This was Baltimore where the summers were/are hot and muggy. My parents were among the 1st in the neighborhood to get a window AC in 1965.

But I'm thankful that there was an oil burner, first with radiator and baseboard heat, and then forced air. Doubt if we'd've actually survived without it, even tho this was Maryland, not Pt. Barrow Alaska.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:23 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,040,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Unless I'm missing something, this is a no brainer. Our air conditioning during 1940-mid 1960s was the electric fan. Hell, people would use cardboard hand-held fans to fan themselves. We survived,

This was Baltimore where the summers were/are hot and muggy. My parents were among the 1st in the neighborhood to get a window AC in 1965.

But I'm thankful that there was an oil burner, first with radiator and baseboard heat, and then forced air. Doubt if we'd've actually survived without it, even tho this was Maryland, not Pt. Barrow Alaska.
I don’t even have a fan and last summer had 27C highs...

Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
I don’t even have a fan and last summer had 27C highs...
You thought you were dying without a/c in 27C?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:34 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think what some people are also missing is that you have easier access to food in warm climates, where in subpolar or tundra climates, almost all if not all food has to be imported

Warm climates are not comparable to tundra climates. Hot climates are. How food rich are the sandlands of Namibia? At least you can fish in the arctic. Neither are that food-rich obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather