Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Do n't know how you can stand living in a drier
Dunno....but living in a washer ain't a picnic either!

I'm frugal enough that I layer on three cheap ($1) store gloves to keep the fingers warm. Splurged this season and got skier gloves. They were rubbery. At first I found them uncomfortable. Now that I had them out in our chilly snow ridden driveway....they are heavenly! They don't get wet....my hands grip the shovel better...and the tips of them have a texture for using my iPhone.

Once the temp hits 55 degrees or lower my body extremities are sensing the "bone' chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 08:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
that's pretty cold weather to be outside. I know I would never go out at such cold temperatures.
Not if you are acclimatized. In my part of the world it's below freezing for pretty much 4 months of the year. And goes much colder than -4C!

It's all about what your body is used to.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:02 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Not if you are acclimatized. In my part of the world it's below freezing for pretty much 4 months of the year. And goes much colder than -4C!

You can only acclimatize so much unless you lower your indoor temperatures as well

Old 01-13-2019, 09:38 AM

623 posts, read 675,462 times
Sure, you could get used to it and last longer without gloves. But...if your hands are cold, wear gloves! Or don't take your hands out of your pockets.

If the wind is light and my upper body is very warm, then I can keep my hands warm without gloves. A t-shirt and fleece is probably not enough layers to do that. Not for me.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:50 PM

650 posts, read 450,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post

Ah okay then. Also the average high and low for you this month seens to be -11.3C and -21.4C. For my new town it is -8.7C and -20.3C. Do newbies from warmer climates eventually acclimatized to a climate like these?

Old 01-13-2019, 01:07 PM

276 posts, read 135,866 times
I have to wear thick winter gloves below 15C. I see some idiots in t shirts and flip flops here in winter if it’s a mild 12C day but it seems to be American tourists mostly.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:10 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
40s vs 20s is a big difference especially when you arent used to it. Im betting your body adapted to the warmer climate and may have an issue ,at first, to acclimate to the changing (colder) temps.

However, usually hands and feet are the first to get cold even for those in cold climates. Start taking OPC supplements get that blood flowing to the joints better. Or buy those hand/feet warmers.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:28 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Was just watching something and came across someone talking about acclimation. They live in YK and were visiting MTL

https://youtube.com/watch?v=B4hWCuq5tXU#t=3m27s

Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
Ah okay then. Also the average high and low for you this month seens to be -11.3C and -21.4C. For my new town it is -8.7C and -20.3C. Do newbies from warmer climates eventually acclimatized to a climate like these?
My husband and daughter were from the west coast, where it's quite a bit warmer. We moved here in 2012, when we had two winters in a row that set records for cold. It did take them a couple of years to adapt. Our summers are quite warm, and the seasons change more quickly than they do on the milder coast.

I have a lot of coworkers and acquaintances from hot climates (India and the Philippines mostly), and they struggle with the cold, I won't lie. Some wear winter clothing when I'm still in a hoodie and shorts. But every person feels temperature differently - they often handle the heat better than I do, because they grew up with hotter.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:01 PM

69 posts, read 32,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
Welp, I have finally made the move to a colder climate. Today it was 24F/-4C with a wind chill of 15F/-9C. I have lived in a warmer climate all my life, and I thought I could handle it. I have been outisde at 48F/9C in t-shirts without issue before. So I went out for a walk in that weather I described above (the 15F/-9C windchill). I was wearing a warm hat, a short sleeve t-shirt, a light fleece over the shirt, boxer briefs, jeans, some regular socks, and some high top shoes. No gloves though. I was outside walking for 10 minutes. The first of the 5 I was walking with my hands in the fleece pockets. Then after that I used my phone for a bit then my hands started to feel cold, weak, and numb I suppose. I had a hard time bending my fingers, and it felt weird going into my pocket. Then when I got inside after that, my hands started to get very red and they felt full. Does anyone else go through that? That temperature shouldn't be cold enough to do that to me. It is probably slightly warmer than average for this time of year here. Can I get use to this, or do I have Raynaunds or something?

Some gloves are made for this temp or colder, and they're not expensive. Helps very much. Skin on my hands gets very rough and bleeds if I go outdoors in sub-freezing weather. Fingers sting with frostbite. Almost anything is available with thermal insulation, good for below zero temps. It's not an illness, you just need special clothes for winter, sometimes multiple layers. They should have the closeout sales on winter outerwear by sometime in February. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather