Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:59 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That looks like mostly rain and the ground looks warm enough that nothing will stick.
Looks like rain? Sounds like you rarely see snow. Definitely snow falling. And yeah, not sure if anything stuck after that video. Would go down as a "Trace" if anything.

Check out the airport. Wet frozen flakes sticking to windshield. I bet there were some grassy areas that stuck too. Probably nothing accumulated though. "Trace"

https://twitter.com/VoyagingErnesto/...98128967299072
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:11 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Impossible. But the rainy season is being kind to CA right now.
I know it's impossible... I was just being facetious. I guess the Bay Area can't get arctic outflows because it's too far south and it's too maritime.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:55 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
She says "Wiping my eyes to make sure this is what I’m seeing. This is SNOW on top of Mount Toro this morning as we get some rays of sunshine!!"

Wow. Diablo Range from the Library

https://twitter.com/bgwashburn/statu...179008/photo/1

I remember in the early 90's Mount Toro,CA & Fremont Peak, Mount Madonna, etc would get a bit of snow...

Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
What was the snow level? I think the first batch of foothills is up to 1,500 ft and that is lush green (brown in summer). The upper foothills looked to have a light dusting, I'm thinking that's around 2,000 ft. Mt. Diablo is 3,500' if I'm not mistaken but some peaks go up to 5,000. It's not uncommon for the peaks around the mountains to have snow but it's extremely rare to have valley snow and it won't be sticking.
I live at around 1,200 ft (in the Santa Cruz mountains), and it snowed pretty heavily at my house! It was more of an icy/slushy kind of snow, but did stick around through the morning - and left maybe half an inch on my deck railings. Pretty neat, since I haven't had snow at my home since leaving Lake Tahoe in the late '90s.

My deck early this morning, maybe halfway through the total snowfall:

Snow-capped mountains visible from Los Gatos:

And two photos (not taken by me) from the hwy 17 morning commute:

Old 02-05-2019, 08:33 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Btw, you know you live in (coastal) California when news crews show up for this amount of snow... see the light dusting on the side of the highway? In a similar spot on hwy 17 there were families playing, and 2-3 news vans filming the scene. My northeastern relatives would laugh at that! But to be fair, they would do the same over a 3.0 earthquake (which we'd barely even notice). So it's all subjective.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I live at around 1,200 ft (in the Santa Cruz mountains), and it snowed pretty heavily at my house! It was more of an icy/slushy kind of snow, but did stick around through the morning - and left maybe half an inch on my deck railings. Pretty neat, since I haven't had snow at my home since leaving Lake Tahoe in the late '90s.

My deck early this morning, maybe halfway through the total snowfall:

Snow-capped mountains visible from Los Gatos:

And two photos (not taken by me) from the hwy 17 morning commute:

Hwy 17 is at 1800 feet at the pass. Your photos of the valley floor indicate nothing there. If it was 1200 feet at your house and Twin Peaks saw some at 925'. There was very slushy wet snow at SFO but nothing stuck. Your photo is proof that 1200' some snow "stuck" at least on a deck although I would've liked to see the grass and pavement. That photo at 1800 feet shows snow sticking to the ground so I think the snow level was 1800' where it stuck. Very historical for the Bay Area.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Looks like rain? Sounds like you rarely see snow. Definitely snow falling. And yeah, not sure if anything stuck after that video. Would go down as a "Trace" if anything.

Check out the airport. Wet frozen flakes sticking to windshield. I bet there were some grassy areas that stuck too. Probably nothing accumulated though. "Trace"

https://twitter.com/VoyagingErnesto/...98128967299072
Yeah I consider that sleet and the other video was mostly rain. Surprised a northerner like you would consider this wet messy wintry mix "snow".

Last year Sacramento got what looked to be snow but it actually was hail. This is a "wintry mix" although Sac-towns hail was an impressive feat.

My question was at what elevation did they get snow that stuck? I know that Twin Peaks 925' got some but I didn't see any evidence it "stuck". Based on previous postings 1200' looked to be the elevation where snow would stick to a non-insulated surface (deck) and 1800' was where it would stick to the ground.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:19 AM

42 posts, read 27,981 times
Quote:
Snow shower at the NWS Office there. 92' Elevation.

https://twitter.com/NWSBayArea/statu...22007023046659
wow, snow as low as 92 ft? That's 28 meters, a very low elevation! Where is that NWS station located? Inside the area of SF?

Old 02-06-2019, 03:33 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Reminds me of 1960 plus or minus 1 year. We lived on the border of Saratoga. I got up to use the bathroom and found we had 2 inches of snow and got our 4 young children to see it (5 am). They started calling friends and found angry parents till they found out about the snow and soon little kids were playing in the snow with lights on to light it up. By 7 it was all melted. We invited all the kids to our hose for hot chocolate and one parent went to a doughnut that opened at 6 am, and bought a flat of them. The whole neighborhood talked about it for weeks. Some good friendships started that day.

Around noon we took our kids up in Santa Cruz mountains to play in about 2 feet of snow.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:41 AM

213 posts, read 175,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I will be more impressed if we see subfreezing highs and accumulating snow at sea level in SF. Imagine walking through Golden Gate park in the snow
It should not happen like 1976, but I wish I was wrong.
By forecast Seattle should receive a good amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather