Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 12:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
50's is not cold unless it's windy or maybe wet. When you get into the 40's, that's when it starts to get uncomfortable unless you have a couple of layers, the low 40's with some wind especially. However, I wore t-shirts when the temps was in the 40's for over 30 minutes, it wasn't the best thing ever but I can endure.
I'm cold in the 50's. If it's below 60 during the day or below 65 at night, I need a light jacket or a hoody. If below 50, day or night, and I need a parka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzardman View Post
It seems a lot of people thinking temps above 40 are cold don't know how to dress for the cold. I took a hike today in the mountains with single digits Fahrenheit temperatures wearing my full cold weather outfit and that's about the temperature where you don't sweat with a sweater and parka and below which it's very hard to dress for while walking through snow. When properly dressed outdoor activity is much more pleasant for me around the freezing point than in a sunny 90 degree day.
I know how to dress for cold, I own a down parka, but even then, I'm not going to wear long johns, multiple pairs of socks or a freaking ski mask, so my legs, feet and face were cold even if my arms and torso weren't. And if you need to do anything with your hands, you can't wear gloves, so then your hands are cold as well!

Old 12-30-2020, 06:44 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
I'm jealous of these conditions. Our winters can have some mild days, but when it's cold it's not often cold enough to warrant these conditions. These used to happen (like december 2010 with a bunch of subfreezing highs and decent snow), but today for instance it's about 4c with rain, and there's some wind as well. We've had very overcast weather recently.

-4c and some sun beats 4c with rain or just cloudy very humid weather. I'd feel better in the winter with some snow around and generally drier weather. Here it just gets so dark, and cold enough to be annoying, yet it rarely gets interesting.

The only redeeming factor is that by March it's already light jacket weather here.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I'm jealous of these conditions. Our winters can have some mild days, but when it's cold it's not often cold enough to warrant these conditions. These used to happen (like december 2010 with a bunch of subfreezing highs and decent snow), but today for instance it's about 4c with rain, and there's some wind as well. We've had very overcast weather recently.

-4c and some sun beats 4c with rain or just cloudy very humid weather. I'd feel better in the winter with some snow around and generally drier weather. Here it just gets so dark, and cold enough to be annoying, yet it rarely gets interesting.

The only redeeming factor is that by March it's already light jacket weather here.
Would you prefer mild to warm and dry weather to your winter, like what we experience?

Old 12-30-2020, 07:25 AM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
It seems a lot of people thinking temps above 40 are cold don't know how to dress for the cold. I took a hike today in the mountains with single digits Fahrenheit temperatures wearing my full cold weather outfit and that's about the temperature where you don't sweat with a sweater and parka and below which it's very hard to dress for while walking through snow. When properly dressed outdoor activity is much more pleasant for me around the freezing point than in a sunny 90 degree day.

That literally has nothing to do with it. What do you think I'm just hiking through the snow in tee shirt and shorts and wonder why I'm cold? Gee...

Old 12-30-2020, 08:58 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

I agree that cold rain with temperatures slightly above freezing is much worse than snow with temperatures just slightly below freezing.
Today, my perfect winter weather is gone. It is cloudy, about 38 degrees ( 3C) and rain is expected this afternoon. The snow is melting today unfortunately

Old 12-30-2020, 12:54 PM

167 posts, read 111,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That literally has nothing to do with it. What do you think I'm just hiking through the snow in tee shirt and shorts and wonder why I'm cold? Gee...
You may think you know how to dress for it but until you've experienced true cold you really don't. People from subtropical climates often forget the beanie, long johns, snow boots, face covering (ski mask/mask/scarf/etc.), mittens, snowshoes etc. There's nothing wrong with wearing at least some of that arsenal if the temperature is going to drop into the 40s but missing any of these crucial items can cause something to end up very cold in several minutes instead of hours and therefore miss out on enjoying the cold. Of course some people are also just less able to tolerate cold even if they wear all these things. Others don't see the need for it or it doesn't make sense cost wise in their climate. In general I think there's a great mismatch in what people consider cold between those who know very well how to dress for it and those who haven't dressed for it in a way someone who's conditioned to extreme cold would.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:11 PM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times
Quote:
You may think you know how to dress for it but until you've experienced true cold you really don't. People from subtropical climates often forget the beanie, long johns, snow boots, face covering (ski mask/mask/scarf/etc.), mittens, snowshoes etc. There's nothing wrong with wearing at least some of that arsenal if the temperature is going to drop into the 40s but missing any of these crucial items can cause something to end up very cold in several minutes instead of hours and therefore miss out on enjoying the cold. Of course some people are also just less able to tolerate cold even if they wear all these things. Others don't see the need for it or it doesn't make sense cost wise in their climate. In general I think there's a great mismatch in what people consider cold between those who know very well how to dress for it and those who haven't dressed for it in a way someone who's conditioned to extreme cold would.
The trouble with getting all wrapped up like that is that as soon as I get indoors or anywhere a bit warmer almost immediately I feel really stuffy and start overheating. So it makes doing anything like exploring a city miserable as you're constantly going in and out of shops, museums etc and either feeling cold or hot and stuffy. Horrible.

The other thing about the cold is that I find it suppresses my thirst so I easily get dehydrated as I don't feel like drinking.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm a native to Upstate NY, and when I lived there, I had a bit more of a tolerance to the cold than I do now, but not much. I would never wear long johns or a ski mask, but would sometimes wear two pairs of pants and two pairs of socks, and would wear a beanie and parka. I never really enjoyed the cold though. I just grit my teeth and beared it. I started to hate it my last couple years living there, when I was finally driving. Having to shovel the car out of the driveway, and scraping the windows got old real fast, not to mention the crappy roads. So I moved somewhere where it doesn't snow and is always sunny as soon as I got out of high school

Old 12-30-2020, 03:34 PM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:

I'm not from a subtropical climate, I mentioned further up I grew up in a Dfb climate. In fact that's where I spent the first 30 years of my life. My problem with cold temperatures has nothing to do with actually being cold while being outside which is rarely the case.

Really only when I have to walk to work in sub-zero wind chill while wearing formal office clothes but that's only for a couple of minutes and rare enough that it doesn't bother me.

Cold bothers me because (1) I don't like wearing a ton of clothing, it reduces comfort level (2) it means I have to turn on the heat in my house, and I don't like the way artificially heated air feels (3) whether it is the cold air outside or the heated air inside, it dries out my skin and causes cracks (4) no matter what you wear really cold air is uncomfortable when inhaling (5) I love the way naturally warm air feels when inhaling and feeling it on my skin which is why I love opening windows which again I cannot do during colder weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather