Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 05:20 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,304,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Would you prefer mild to warm and dry weather to your winter, like what we experience?

Actually I like cold weather in the winter, I just wish we had more below freezing weather, at least at night. For instance nowadays we have so many days where the low is 2c and the high is 5c, so it's constantly cold and humid with generally overcast weather, yet there's no actual frost or snow. Or if it snows, it's very wet snow and it rarely sticks around for too long.

We do have warm spells, at least by our standards. For instance we can have some days with highs in the 12-15c range in January, which is a nice break. Then again I would like cold breaks as well, like days where the high is around -5c with snow, but these do not happen here, maybe once in a decade, or even less than that.

Also it would be great to have dps below freezing at least, dry cold feels a lot nicer than the constant humid cold we have here. I often have to wear the thickest clothing here and sometimes it's not enough. Or maybe I'm just getting older.

Overall I find our winter to be too predictable, stable, and cloudy / humid. I wish it was more variable and colder with more sun and snow. The wet green grass with mud gets old after a while.

At least our spring are glorious and come pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 11:12 PM

167 posts, read 112,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I'm not from a subtropical climate, I mentioned further up I grew up in a Dfb climate. In fact that's where I spent the first 30 years of my life. My problem with cold temperatures has nothing to do with actually being cold while being outside which is rarely the case.

Really only when I have to walk to work in sub-zero wind chill while wearing formal office clothes but that's only for a couple of minutes and rare enough that it doesn't bother me.

Cold bothers me because (1) I don't like wearing a ton of clothing, it reduces comfort level (2) it means I have to turn on the heat in my house, and I don't like the way artificially heated air feels (3) whether it is the cold air outside or the heated air inside, it dries out my skin and causes cracks (4) no matter what you wear really cold air is uncomfortable when inhaling (5) I love the way naturally warm air feels when inhaling and feeling it on my skin which is why I love opening windows which again I cannot do during colder weather.
1. I understand and there's no getting past.
2,3 and possibly 5 are fixable by getting a big humidifier
4. Is where the face covering comes in although you say you don't like wearing a ton of clothing.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:52 AM

366 posts, read 243,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing! But I'd find those conditions miserable. Any weather in which there is snow, either falling or settled, is much too cold to be ideal for me.
Same

Old 12-31-2020, 08:33 AM

24,569 posts, read 18,323,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Downhill Skiing at -5f is very unpleasant, you would have to wear a ski mask while at 25F a regular hat is all that is required ( if that)
Huh?

I have to wear a mask in lift lines this year because of COVID-19. The balaclava comes out at around 10F, ordinarily. At 25F, I have the helmet vents popped and the armpit zips fully open to try to shed some body heat. I have Hotronics boot heaters. With mittens and heated glove liners with the hood popped over my helmet, I have the cold weather tech gear to be comfortable for hours at -20F.

-5F isn’t all that cold if you’re dressed appropriately.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh?

I have to wear a mask in lift lines this year because of COVID-19. The balaclava comes out at around 10F, ordinarily. At 25F, I have the helmet vents popped and the armpit zips fully open to try to shed some body heat. I have Hotronics boot heaters. With mittens and heated glove liners with the hood popped over my helmet, I have the cold weather tech gear to be comfortable for hours at -20F.

I'm sorry, but this is the funniest thing I've read in a while

I happen to think 40's is freaking cold, let alone anything below 0 Fahrenheit.....

Old 12-31-2020, 10:19 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,278,209 times
Quote:

I happen to think 40's is freaking cold, let alone anything below 0 Fahrenheit.....

Well it's all personal perception I guess, but given that the vast majority of mankind never experiences -5F in their entire lives and household freezers tend to be set to around 0F you might be inclined to believe that someone who thinks '-5F isn't cold' is a bit of an outlier.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:33 AM

24,569 posts, read 18,323,679 times
Quote:

-5F is half the days in January at the top of the mountain. I wouldn’t ski much if I couldn’t go out in that condition. Sounds to me like you’re clothing-challenged.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
-5F is half the days in January at the top of the mountain. I wouldn’t ski much if I couldn’t go out in that condition. Sounds to me like you’re clothing-challenged.
No, I just don't like cold, and I don't like skiing, snowboarding, ice skating or any other "winter sports". I moved to Phoenix to get away from the snow, cold and clouds of my upstate NY

Old 12-31-2020, 02:56 PM

167 posts, read 112,468 times
Quote:
Huh?

Finally some backup, wow you taught me something with those Hotronics boot heaters after renovating my extreme cold outfit I was just thinking I need some foot warmers because the toes are generally what gets numb first after around an hour in the snow. Even with all the gear though there's no better preparation for extreme cold than a cold shower in winter which is a similar sensation to the numb toes at -5f just across the whole body. If you're used to that do you even need boot heaters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather