Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these major US cities have the LEAST crappiest Winters?
Seattle, Washington 41 43.16%
Denver, Colorado 29 30.53%
Minneapolis, Minnesota 7 7.37%
Boston, Massachusetts 3 3.16%
Chicago, Illinois 1 1.05%
Detroit, Michigan 3 3.16%
New York City, New York 11 11.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 07:39 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,406,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Americans need to have a mentality like Canadians. Canadians embrace winter, because, well why wouldn't you? Being whiny won't make it any warmer lol.
I 100 percent agree lol. It's understandable because the US is obviously a much warmer country than Canada, but it can border on being as illogical as the drivel of this weather forum's clown climatologists.

Thankfully you have a good winter mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 08:37 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,091,347 times
Sunshine Hours Dec-Feb

622 hrs - Denver DIA
474 hrs - Boston Logan
465 hrs - New York Central Park
449 hrs - Minneapolis Intl
378 hrs - Chicago O'Hare
346 hrs - Detroit DTW
232 hrs - Seattle SeaTac

I'll take Boston 2nd, similar sunshine to New York but still fairly mild and with more snow (snow is a positive for me).

Minneapolis 3rd place I think. I lived in Thunder Bay for a few years which is considerably colder, and I survived. I did find Thunder Bay winters rather... long, with about 5 months of sub-freezing daily means. Minneapolis winters are only slightly longer and colder than what I'm used to so it's not much of a big deal.

Sub-freezing daily means

Thunder Bay: Nov 6-Apr 4 = 150 days
Minneapolis: Nov 19-Mar 14 = 116 days
Toronto: Dec 1-Mar 18 = 108 days (more like 95-100 days for last 20 years)

Old 11-15-2022, 08:47 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,057,194 times
I chose Seattle.

Denver looks good on paper but imo suffers from crazy expreme weather
with those chinnoks ....like a warmer version of Calgary.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:38 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Denver looks good on paper but imo suffers from crazy expreme weather
with those chinnoks ....like a warmer version of Calgary.
Aside from the crazy extremes most days in Denver are quite pleasant with sunshine.

Sunshine is plentiful with very few grey wet days in winter. Should also add that the days are not as short. For people who legitimately suffer from seasonal affective disorder Denver is far and above the best place to live out of all the cities in this thread.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:23 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I 100 percent agree lol. It's understandable because the US is obviously a much warmer country than Canada, but it can border on being as illogical as the drivel of this weather forum's clown climatologists.

Thankfully you have a good winter mentality.
Actually when I visited Canada (Calgary and region) everyone who I heard express an opinion on winter there was that it was too long and too cold!

Old 11-16-2022, 11:19 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times
Seattle is, like someone mentioned the only place where you have palm trees out of all on that list and sometimes can go the whole year without snow.
The 2nd place prize would go to either Denver (because you can get the occasional fluke 60 degree days) or NYC.
Other than that, all the rest on the list are blah or brutal for Winter.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Aside from the crazy extremes most days in Denver are quite pleasant with sunshine.

Sunshine is plentiful with very few grey wet days in winter. Should also add that the days are not as short. For people who legitimately suffer from seasonal affective disorder Denver is far and above the best place to live out of all the cities in this thread.
Denver has the sunshine advantage, though I don’t think it has a huge daylight advantage. For example, Denver sunsets are at 4:43 right now. Sunsets will remain before 5 until mid-January. Seattle sunsets are at 4:32 right now. Sunsets will remain before 5 until late January. Denver gets more daylight in the morning but I think most people prefer daylight in the afternoon.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:10 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,967,061 times
That was an easy one. Give us a harder question next time.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:05 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Seattle is, like someone mentioned the only place where you have palm trees out of all on that list and sometimes can go the whole year without snow.
The 2nd place prize would go to either Denver (because you can get the occasional fluke 60 degree days) or NYC.
Other than that, all the rest on the list are blah or brutal for Winter.
Hardy palms can survive in NYC and Denver. Just as the same as Seattle. Kinda crazy but people do plant them.

I should add that touching 60 degrees during winter in Denver happens quite often more than people realize.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:27 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,406,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Actually when I visited Canada (Calgary and region) everyone who I heard express an opinion on winter there was that it was too long and too cold!
That's because Calgary's winter like weather is ridiculously unbalanced relative to seasons and averages. Canadians from more balanced areas like Toronto don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather