Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2023, 02:17 PM

465 posts, read 406,064 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickle_Lake#Climate

This is an example of a climate that has switched from Dfc to Dfb in recent years. The climate box doesn't have sunshine data, but Red Lake, Ontario, about 160 miles to the west, gets a little over 2000 hours per year.

How much warmer would it have to get to change your poll choice? Does the change in Koppen type affect your preference?

* Forgot to add a poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 04:36 PM

5,909 posts, read 6,127,604 times
I've been in that part of the country in the warmer months (August in Red Lake, early May in Musselwhite). It's nice during the warmer part of the year, Red Lake had good swimming conditions in August (warmer than Lake Superior, maybe 23-24C), but the winters are rather long.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:13 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,083,621 times
Pickle Lake is at about 51.5N ....aparently the farthest north place in Ontario with a paved connecting road....
amazing, when you realize it is at about same latitude as London, England but is at the "edge of civilization" in Ontario....and Pickle Lake is a bit farther south than Saskatoon....and farther south than Edmonton....
a city of over 1 million people.

Comparing Pickle Lake with Moosonee (both at the same latitude)...
interestingly Pickle Lake has warmer lows....helping its annual mean temp
be over 0C ...Moosonee slightly below 0C

Old 03-31-2023, 05:56 PM

2,836 posts, read 1,425,187 times
D. Much too cool/cold and not that good precipitation either.
The upgrade from subarctic to warm summer humid continental does increase its grade a bit: indeed, the summer months need the least temperature increase of all the months to get an A from me.

Here's how I would change it to get an A climate. My A climate is quintessential 4 season Dfa/Dfb Oshawa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshawa#Climate
In a nutshell, warmer in all seasons to be comparable to Oshawa, reduce the amount and number of months with snow, and make the precipitation more even (the amount falls into my preferred range, but I like the distribution even like Oshawa, not warm season heavy like Pickle Lake).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather