Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2023, 05:18 PM

650 posts, read 450,044 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea how accurate this map is?
Attached Thumbnails
Mean dewpoint map-mean-dew-point-temperature-june-.png  

Last edited by Neptunepenguins; 06-24-2023 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 06:35 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,095,522 times
Seems accurate for here. Toronto just reached its highest dew point of the month today with the thunder storms and high humidity, the dew point reached 69F. But we've also had dew points as low as 30F earlier in the month, and the average should be around 50F so far.

Somehow I didn't realize just how low the dew points were in the west though.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:43 PM

2,823 posts, read 1,408,484 times
Looks pretty good for my area of expertise. The fact that it has inland Texas as humid as Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, etc, like it should be instead of that everywher-dry-desert Texas heat stereotypical myth is a good sign.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Looks pretty good for my area of expertise. The fact that it has inland Texas as humid as Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, etc, like it should be instead of that everywher-dry-desert Texas heat stereotypical myth is a good sign.
Dallas, Austin and San Antonio look slightly less humid than Florida and Louisiana on that map, but still comparable to South Carolina, if not a bit more humid, while the Gulf Coast and East Texas are comparable if not more humid than LA/FL. Looks like only far West Texas and the Panhandle match the dry stereotypes.

I think Dallas can still be a bit drier than further east, at least in Jul-Aug. Maybe a bit less so in June. But by drier, I mean in terms of RH. Due to higher temperatures, the dew points might still end up fairly comparable.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Dallas, Austin and San Antonio look slightly less humid than Florida and Louisiana on that map, but still comparable to South Carolina, if not a bit more humid, while the Gulf Coast and East Texas are comparable if not more humid than LA/FL.
Maybe I am reading that map wrong. It looks like the Florida/Louisiana category of relative humidity extended to the Gulf Coastal Plain margin where those 3 are, does it stop short?

Although, rechecking, I did not see that they had so much of South Carolina as less humid. I can buy that: as far as I'm aware the mountains South Carolina has that more humid Texas does not are less humid, and they make up/are closer to more of the state than Texas mountains are to its humid parts (which they aren't), so can have more of an influence.

Quote:
Looks like only far West Texas and the Panhandle match the dry stereotypes.
That they do. And in terms of what the average Texan will experience they're clearly outliers, so I don't understand why to this day the stereotypes still exist (you'd think they would be based on the humid major cities).

Quote:
I think Dallas can still be a bit drier than further east, at least in Jul-Aug. Maybe a bit less so in June. But by drier, I mean in terms of RH. Due to higher temperatures, the dew points might still end up fairly comparable.
You may or may not be right on this, going by some of the more recent threads about dry Texas heat. My takeaway from those was that it can get less humid in like July than places east, but it's not sustained - although whether it was dew points or relative humidity I was being told about, isn't clear.

If I had to guess, the relative humidity is what remains consistent because Dallas is still getting the same Gulf dominant air flow pattern as a fairly close place like Shreveport which is obviously humid (if you look at the Dallas and Shreveport wind roses on the IEM it's pretty easy to see), regardless of the odd interruption. In contrast the dew points aren't going to remain consistent with equal humidity air but varying temperatures.

Edit: Also another thing in favor of consistent relative humidity is the very average diurnal summer range in those places in Texas, no different than places further east. It's when you get to the Cfa/BSh line (like San Angelo which is literally only Cfa by a few mm of precipitation) that the diurnal range gets higher as would be expected for some actual dry heat.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 06-24-2023 at 09:35 PM..

Old 06-24-2023, 09:34 PM

650 posts, read 450,044 times
Quote:
Dallas, Austin and San Antonio look slightly less humid than Florida and Louisiana on that map, but still comparable to South Carolina, if not a bit more humid, while the Gulf Coast and East Texas are comparable if not more humid than LA/FL. Looks like only far West Texas and the Panhandle match the dry stereotypes.

Yeah east texas even a little bit north gets that consistent humidity in the summer. I've been up near Lufkin a few times, and they were outside this extreme humid event for most of the state. It was about as humid there as it is in the northern part of Houston say near Conroe imo. Least the times I've been it was.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Maybe I am reading that map wrong. It looks like the Florida/Louisiana category of relative humidity extended to the Gulf Coastal Plain margin where those 3 are, does it stop short?

Although, rechecking, I did not see that they had so much of South Carolina as less humid. I can buy that: as far as I'm aware the mountains South Carolina has that more humid Texas does not are less humid, and they make up/are closer to more of the state than Texas mountains are to its humid parts (which they aren't), so can have more of an influence.

That they do. And in terms of what the average Texan will experience they're clearly outliers, so I don't understand why to this day the stereotypes still exist (you'd think they would be based on the humid major cities).

You may or may not be right on this, going by some of the more recent threads about dry Texas heat. My takeaway from those was that it can get less humid in like July than places east, but it's not sustained - although whether it was dew points or relative humidity I was being told about, isn't clear.

If I had to guess, the relative humidity is what remains consistent because Dallas is still getting the same Gulf dominant air flow pattern as a place like Shreveport which is obviously humid (if you look at the Dallas and Shreveport wind roses on the IEM it's pretty easy to see), regardless of the odd interruption. In contrast the dew points aren't going to remain consistent with equal humidity air but varying temperatures.
Dallas, San Antonio and Austin seem to be on the boundary of 60-65F dews and 65-70F dews, while FL/LA are fully in the 65-70F range, hence why those cities seem slightly less humid according to the map.

Dallas has lower RH in July according to Wikipedia/NOAA

Tucson: 42%
El Paso: 44%
Amarillo: 53%
Dallas: 60%
Shreveport: 72%
Jackson: 77%
Montgomery: 76%
Charleston: 77%

Old 06-24-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Dallas, San Antonio and Austin seem to be on the boundary of 60-65F dews and 65-70F dews, while FL/LA are fully in the 65-70F range, hence why those cities seem slightly less humid according to the map.

Dallas has lower RH in July according to Wikipedia/NOAA

Tucson: 42%
El Paso: 44%
Amarillo: 53%
Dallas: 60%
Shreveport: 72%
Jackson: 77%
Montgomery: 76%
Charleston: 77%
I'm thinking those dewpoints and the resultant relative humidity are not always up to date for the present normals given what I'm told and present 1991-2020 wind roses. It's important to remember that they are 1961-1990 so aren't necessarily going to follow for the proper present period.

Don't know why they don't have 1991-2020 relative humidity and dew point. They should really keep up on it if you ask me, because like with like time period wise would have to be compared.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:07 AM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Given that it's a NOAA map I think it's likely to be highly accurate for what it seeks to display - mean dewpoint in June (during whatever timeframe it was generated for).

Old 06-25-2023, 09:13 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Seems fairly close for here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather