Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2023, 03:39 PM

23 posts, read 40,060 times

Advertisements

Last March when I traveled through Utah I camped out several days around the desert. Near Moab after seeing the temperatures I chose to drive into the canyonlands rather than camp out at the rim or high plateaus because the temperatures were 20 degrees warmer and above freezing in the valleys vs below-zero and snowy on the rim/plateau. I wish I had a Windy screenshot but everything outside the canyons was below-zero in the early morning and 40 degrees and frost-free in the Needles district. I'm curious if the difference in temperature has to do with adiabatic heating as air descends into the canyons, or if the significant elevation difference of 2K' and change in temperature with altitude causes this effect, or maybe both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 03:42 PM

901 posts, read 346,994 times
Being an extensive plateau of largely flat topography, there is little to no uplift which in turn makes for a nigh to nonexistent decrease in temperature, even with thousands of metres of altitude.

Uplift, is what causes the drop in temperature. No uplift = no temp drop. Denver at sea level, would thus be little-different to how it is currently at 1700m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather