Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,822 times

Advertisements

I was reading one of my favorite weather blogs a few minutes ago when I saw one of the scariest looking models I have seen in a long time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Could you explain what the weather model means? TWC said this morning that it was calm in the Atlantic so I'm curious.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM

479 posts, read 1,456,430 times
Nothing locally being said about possible hurricanes. We're having thunderstorm weather that's supposed to hang around for a couple of days, then less chance of rain on Sunday.

Yeah, Jericho, what's the meaning of this "model"?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:39 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,822 times
Sorry my model got distorted, here is a news story to read.

NBC2 Blogs - First Alert Forecast Blog (http://www.nbc-2.com/blogs/weather.shtml - broken link)

Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,456,410 times
From my personal fav weather blog Jeff Masters from Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground

"Western Caribbean development possible next week
An area of disturbed weather has developed over Central America and the adjacent waters of the Eastern Pacific and Western Caribbean, associated with a tropical wave interacting with the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) in the Eastern Pacific. This disturbance has generated 1 - 2 inches of rain over Costa Rica and western Panama over the past day, and is likely to bring 4 - 6 more inches of rain to those areas and Nicaragua over the next 3 - 4 days, as the storm drifts northwards into the Western Caribbean. The subtropical jet stream, which is currently bringing high wind shear to the Caribbean, is expected to shift northwards next week, bringing low wind shear to the region. The last few runs of several of our major dynamical computer weather forecast models have been pointing to the possible development of a tropical depression southwest of Jamaica by Thursday of next week. Heavy rains from the disturbance should spread into Jamaica and Cuba by Thursday and Friday, and may affect the Bahamas, Haiti, and South Florida 7 - 8 days from now.
"

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,452,647 times
I'd buy south Florida getting rain from that storm, but not a hurricane. It's a little early in the season. And mega storms for south Florida come from the east, not the west. I doubt the water is warm enough to cause a mega growth storm yet.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:36 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
MIAMI - Wicked lightning. Golf-ball-sized hail. And blinding rain.

It all spelled trouble on Friday for parts of Miami-Dade and Broward counties.

The worst of it happened in Miami and central Dade, where a series of heavy rainstorms soaked the streets of downtown Miami and Miami Beach. The highest winds hit south Broward. Seven to 9 inches of rain fell in Miami Beach.

Wild weather floods Miami-Dade -- OrlandoSentinel.com

I wonder if this is part of that forecast. I live in more north in Orlando and we have the nastiest of storms going on right now.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:00 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
MIAMI - Wicked lightning. Golf-ball-sized hail. And blinding rain.

It all spelled trouble on Friday for parts of Miami-Dade and Broward counties.

The worst of it happened in Miami and central Dade, where a series of heavy rainstorms soaked the streets of downtown Miami and Miami Beach. The highest winds hit south Broward. Seven to 9 inches of rain fell in Miami Beach.

Wild weather floods Miami-Dade -- OrlandoSentinel.com

I wonder if this is part of that forecast. I live in more north in Orlando and we have the nastiest of storms going on right now.
TWC was talking about your area just a couple hours ago. I hope everything turns out well for you.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,236,460 times
You were beginning to scare me. I hope there are no really damaging storms this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather