Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:02 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times

Advertisements

well 4 all u that don't like winter!!!! i predict a very long and brutal winter worse than last year bad luck comes in waves of three.. i'm talking ice age conditions

so what do u think

i know g dude will be happy to here this forecasted prediction

Last edited by cruxan; 07-04-2009 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: add words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 05:43 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I don't mind winter but I'm hoping for less ice age! Moved to TR and everyone said our winters are mild here lakeside, not that bad.

The last 2 have been "corkers" and now they say, what is up with this, you arrive and our winters get way worse!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I don't mind winter but I'm hoping for less ice age! Moved to TR and everyone said our winters are mild here lakeside, not that bad.

The last 2 have been "corkers" and now they say, what is up with this, you arrive and our winters get way worse!!!

but what do u think this winter will be like?? i think this comming winter is going to break last years records and be much colder.. it's a pure guess i guess... it seems like a trend going on---- wonder what the poster child thinks al gore that is

Old 07-04-2009, 06:11 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
An El Nino may be developing now into late summer so I would guess a warmer than average winter.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:14 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well 4 all u that don't like winter!!!! i predict a very long and brutal winter worse than last year bad luck comes in waves of three.. i'm talking ice age conditions

so what do u think

You may be very right....A really cold one is due in the deep south at least...

Old 07-04-2009, 07:04 PM

927 posts, read 1,946,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
An El Nino may be developing now into late summer so I would guess a warmer than average winter.
Check here for the Climate Prediction Center skinny:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...y/ensodisc.doc

The pros believe we will drift into a more El Nino type pattern. So far, however we've seen no sign of it. Sea surface temperatures off the Oregon, Washington and northern California coasts are still stubbornly hanging in about a quarter to a half degree below seasonal norms. If we do see an El Nino, it will arrive later in the season or in autumn and it should be a very weak one.

Asuming we actually get one (and I personally don't think it'll happen) a weak El Nino will mean a tendency to slightly warmer and dryer conditions in the Pacific Northwest, northern Rockies and upper Midwest.

We, in the Willamette Valley, have already had rainfall amounts that were at "normal" levels or even slightly under; a pattern not expected under the present La Nina pattern. What we did get was at least one (and in some areas, three) cold blast(s) that brought heavy snow or ice, at least by our wimpy standards. That was expected, or at least considered, during a La Nina event. If we move into El Nino we face the possibility of winter drought and while I personally would enjoy the more frequent sunshine, a dry winter also means no snowpack and that can get kinda awkward come August.

Those of you living in the nation's heartland will not experience anywhere nearly what a resonable person would consider a "mild" winter but one that is not as barbaric as the past two or three. Your temperatures will probably approach "average" or even exceed it by a smidge, but there will be no serious warmth. Do not expect ten-fifteen days at a stretch of readings 10 to 15 degrees above average for your region. You, too, will also be dry.

Northeasterners....Also milder conditions but possibly not so dry. Still cold enough to provide some dandy Lake Effect snow dumps for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Southerners can expect slightly cooler and wetter conditions than average. Since this El Nino, should it actually happen, will probably be a weak one you won't see a whole lot of cold or wet; you may not even notice the difference from standard winter climatology.

Texas westward to California. No winter drought this year! you won't get the mega-storms you saw in 1998 but you will notice the increased storminess. Since there is still a lot of territory still not yet rehabilitated from the rash of wildfires you suffered through recently there will be mudslides a-plenty to entertain you. Good news for those farther east. More rain than usual and since the storms that do gob-smack southern California won't be all that strong, by the time they trip and stumble over the Sierras, Tehachapis and San Gabriels, they will be weak enough to do no worse than gently drip-drip-drip.

This, of course is the unofficial FV prognostication that I pulled out of my.....er...ah....came up with based on past El Nino history. This is not set in stone but it will be interesting, given how far we are away from winter, to see how much of this does come to pass.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:14 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Whatever it is, it won't be cold enough long enough. At least in Houston.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Whatever it is, it won't be cold enough long enough. At least in Houston.
lool

Old 07-05-2009, 07:03 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
OK, my guess is warmer than last year!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:31 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
OK, my guess is warmer than last year!
That is what my guess is! It sure has been a lot warmer this summer than it was last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather