Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,904,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Wow just goes to show how different the US is from other countries as far as attitudes towards vacations go. On average, most people don't go away for more than 1-2 weeks at a time. Total for the year is usually a little more, but that's spread out. Depends on the company/job though.
Well most people go for 2 weeks but for us a long holiday would be a few months.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yikes, you're planning to go to South Florida in the summer? Better be ready for some serious heat and humidity - whew! Of course, if you like bathtub-warm water in the ocean, then it might just be the ticket for you.

Please do note, while South Florida has an awesome nightlife scene, you'll not have access to it, as you have to be age 21 to drink, or even be admitted to the clubs, and yes, they are super-anal about that crap. :/

Also, how will you get around while in the USA? Our intercity bus and rail service sucks, planes are very costly if you do one-way fights, and even getting around within the cities is iffy using public transport. Much better to rent a car and use that to travel around in - it'd be cheaper and far more convenient. Also, I'd advise hitting some of our awesome national parks, like the Smokies (along with the majestic Blue Ridge Parkway) if staying in the East, and Yellowstone, Grand Canyon and Yosemite if you're out West. New York City and Washington are a must as well - hard to beat the Smithsonian in DC, and it's free too.
Erm yes I have gone there in the summer before and I did not mind it at all. It wasn't that hot to be honest. I mean we don't have summer weather so thats what we are going for lol.

I don't like alcohol so I will not be drinking.
And as for the last question I am obviously going on holidays there with my family. I will have my license at some point this year obviously, but i'm not sure if my mum would let me drive in america. I would love to try it out.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,297,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Nope not finished, but almost! Can't wait.

I'm sure I'll go back eventually for more credits, another degree, or a graduate degree but I need to find a job and start making money. Love my parents, but I need to get out of here.
Where might you move to?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM

My charger has just arrived woop woop.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,525,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Erm yes I have gone there in the summer before and I did not mind it at all. It wasn't that hot to be honest. I mean we don't have summer weather so thats what we are going for lol.

I don't like alcohol so I will not be drinking.
And as for the last question I am obviously going on holidays there with my family. I will have my license at some point this year obviously, but i'm not sure if my mum would let me drive in america. I would love to try it out.
Oh, I thought you were soloing it...lol. Hard to imagine being 18 or 19 and going on a 7-week trip with the folks - that wouldn't have worked with me, or them for that matter...LOL. Nei is right about car rental at that age, you pretty much have to be 21 to do that, or even older - don't ask me why.

My parents did the smart thing and sent me on a 5-week motorcoach tour of the entire western US just for 15 and 16 year-olds when I was that age - that was the best thing they ever did for me. When I was 19, I did do a solo trip for 4 months (took a semester off college to do so) of Australia and New Zealand - that was one of the best things I ever did as well. I travelled by way of bus, train, boat, airplane and the thumb, staying at hostels along the way - sure met a lotta interesting people for sure!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
Oh, I thought you were soloing it...lol. Hard to imagine being 18 or 19 and going on a 7-week trip with the folks - that wouldn't have worked with me, or them for that matter...LOL. Nei is right about car rental at that age, you pretty much have to be 21 to do that, or even older - don't ask me why.
Yea, I thought so, too since you mentioned saving up. I wouldn't want to go with a 7 week family trip for sure at that age, either.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:

My parents did the smart thing and sent me on a 5-week motorcoach tour of the entire western US just for 15 and 16 year-olds when I was that age - that was the best thing they ever did for me. When I was 19, I did do a solo trip for 4 months (took a semester off college to do so) of Australia and New Zealand - that was one of the best things I ever did as well. I travelled by way of bus, train, boat, airplane and the thumb, staying at hostels along the way - sure met a lotta interesting people for sure!
Really? Well i'm not a typical teenager in the sense that I wouldn't really enjoy going out and getting drunk. I am really close to my parents. Do you seriously think I would goto america on my own at 17 the whole way from NI for 7 weeks? Catch yourself on!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, I thought so, too since you mentioned saving up. I wouldn't want to go with a 7 week family trip for sure at that age, either.
It's not really a trip we would just kind of live there but maybe goto the water parks etc.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
Do you seriously think I would goto america on my own at 17 the whole from NI for 7 weeks? Catch yourself on!
Yes, seriously. Maybe more than going with family that long. Though more so at 18 or 19.

Quote:
Really? Well i'm not a typical teenager in the sense that I wouldn't really enjoy going out and getting drunk. I am really close to my parents. Do you seriously think I would goto america on my own at 17 the whole way from NI for 7 weeks? Catch yourself on!
What does getting drunk have to do with traveling by yourself? NorthStar didn't even mention drinking in your post. You seem more obsessed with alcohol than people who drink.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM

That's extremely stupid and dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather