Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 04:07 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Yes I hate islands. Even though I live on an island it isn't that bad because it's pretty big so you can drive and drive and drive for hours, whereas in Malta you could drive to the other end in like half an hour. Don't think i'd like that. Remember when I went to the canaries and it was like that, it was very boring and did not have much in it. It was 2,000 miles away aswell. Never again.

I love in america the way you can drive for miles and miles and always have somewhere new to explore.

Yeah, I tend to get a bit claustrophobic on those little-bitty islands....lol. While you're in Florida next summer, try a visit to Key West, very small, and very crowded. Love how you can drive on, and drive off though...lol. Big islands are okay, New Zealand seemed huge when I visited there, and there were a great deal of landscapes packed in those two islands as well. The low population was a big plus too.

But you can't beat continents. Nothing like being able to crawl into the car on a cold morning, and be in shirtsleeves by lunchtime, and in the bathing suit by mid-afternoon...lol. (Vice-versa is better though. ) Don't like the climate where you're at, just hop in the car and drive in the appropiate direction until you get the weather you like.

A good example of how amazingly big America is, when we were driving back from the UP in July, we stopped over at my uncle's near Detroit on the way back. That night, I was amazed to see it get dark 38 minutes sooner than the night before back at Hancock. Ten hours of driving, didn't even leave the state yet, and there was that much difference in daylight - pretty cool if you ask me.

Islands are fun to visit (I guess ), but it's sure no place I'd wanna live.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
You obviously have not visited in recent years, now it is part of the EU things have changed dramatically out there, even within the last few years & give me a 'barren rock' with warm weather over a freezing Scandinavian climate any day
That might well be true, but I know a person who is currently living on Malta, and he've said that mentally the island is still very far from countries like England and Finland. Like as divorce is still a tremendous social stigma, the highest authority by far is the catholic church and the macho culture is alive an well. Might change in a generation, and there's probably a lot of good things there (climate, cost of living, cheap labor), but anyway, Malta is not in the top 10 or 15 of European countries I'd like to move to. And I've heard that it's very muggy during summer and AC is nonexistant.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
That might well be true, but I know a person who is currently living on Malta, and he've said that mentally the island is still very far from countries like England and Finland. Like as divorce is still a tremendous social stigma, the highest authority by far is the catholic church and the macho culture is alive an well. Might change in a generation, and there's probably a lot of good things there (climate, cost of living, cheap labor), but anyway, Malta is not in the top 10 or 15 of European countries I'd like to move to. And I've heard that it's very muggy during summer and AC is nonexistant.
Malta is traditionally a very strict Catholic country, but things are slowly changing. Divorce is now legal, though abortion isn't for example, they have even started a consultation for a bill to grant civil partnerships to same sex couples. It is really only the older generation that still live a 'religious' life & I guess in smaller little villages it would be a bit of a culture shock, but the area I'm moving to is a very touristy place with lots of younger people. Crime is actually very low out there & there may be a macho culture, but coming from the UK & in particular Portsmouth, here is a horrid chav culture

Cost of living is very cheap, you can rent a 3 bedroom furnished apartment for £300 a month! Most groceries are a lot cheaper than UK prices too. The climate is a big plus for me, I detest the cold so am looking forward to a winter with an absolute average low being around 6C & where 20C is possible in January It is very hot there in the summer & very humid too (being a tiny Island) but most places do have aircon...

All countries have their good & bad points, but for me Malta has far more good, than bad

Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
All countries have their good & bad points, but for me Malta has far more good, than bad
Well that's good as you're the one moving there, not me.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
no 7.6c is not real winter
I don't have 7.6c high.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, Malta was a British colony for about 150 years. They even drive on the left there, the only other European nation to do so besides the ROI.

Just barely. Your overall weather is too mild to be a real winter.
And so is yours.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yeah, I tend to get a bit claustrophobic on those little-bitty islands....lol. While you're in Florida next summer, try a visit to Key West, very small, and very crowded. Love how you can drive on, and drive off though...lol. Big islands are okay, New Zealand seemed huge when I visited there, and there were a great deal of landscapes packed in those two islands as well. The low population was a big plus too.

But you can't beat continents. Nothing like being able to crawl into the car on a cold morning, and be in shirtsleeves by lunchtime, and in the bathing suit by mid-afternoon...lol. (Vice-versa is better though. ) Don't like the climate where you're at, just hop in the car and drive in the appropiate direction until you get the weather you like.

A good example of how amazingly big America is, when we were driving back from the UP in July, we stopped over at my uncle's near Detroit on the way back. That night, I was amazed to see it get dark 38 minutes sooner than the night before back at Hancock. Ten hours of driving, didn't even leave the state yet, and there was that much difference in daylight - pretty cool if you ask me.

Islands are fun to visit (I guess ), but it's sure no place I'd wanna live.
Yes I don't mind big islands but I really hate those small islands. They are so crappy and small. I like to be places were I can go on a big long drive for the day.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:32 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Blimey! Hell of a thunderstorm here!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
That is the most intense lightning I've ever experienced! The sky was flashing every 1 or 2 seconds for 20 mins with constant thunder, I've never seen anything like it!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Not fair, there have been storms to the east & west of here, not even had any rain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather