Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:52 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am glad to hear that.

Sydney was your fave of course, right?

Quote:
If we hadn't been wanting/planning this trip for as long as I can remember, or if the wedding were held in Sydney or somewhere closer and less expensive, there is no doubt we would be there. I simply cannot afford both and I made a choice.
Which part(s) of the US are you planning to visit?

I think you definitely made the right choice. I'd been planning my Australia vacation for over a year and much as I would have liked to see my friend get married I was not going to cancel my trip. If it had been my BEST friend I probably still would not have canceled because I would have lost thousands of dollars on non-refundable bookings from about nine months out. Lucky for me, my two best friends are already married.

If I ever get married, I want to have a destination wedding, probably in the Caribbean or on a cruise and I would probably only tell a few close friends that it was even taking place and if they could come, great and if not I certainly wouldn't hold it against them. I planned a fancy wedding (to ex-fiance) with a reception at a local country club and got such a lukewarm response from my invited guests (most didn't bother to respond to the invite ) that at this point I prefer something classy and small. I would probably help pay for my two best friends to attend (airfare/hotel) and the rest of my friends can just wait for the photos to show up on Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
Which part(s) of the US are you planning to visit?
New York is my dream destination. Something about it just fascinates me, it’s incredible.

I’d also love to go to Disneyland, and Vegas. We are trying to work out some package deal so we can see all of these places, although I am not sure where they are in terms of distance from one another.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
New York is my dream destination. Something about it just fascinates me, it’s incredible.

I’d also love to go to Disneyland, and Vegas. We are trying to work out some package deal so we can see all of these places, although I am not sure where they are in terms of distance from one another.
Ummm... on both coasts of this pretty darn wide continent!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:11 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
Quote:

Yeah, there's a reason that Perth was not on my Australian itinerary.

Southern California, Vegas and maybe Northern California would be doable for one vacation, depending on how much time you're talking about. I suppose the five hour flight from L.A. to New York might not be a big deal but it's pretty much an entire day wasted on travel, with getting to the airport at LAX and getting from the airport in New York to a hotel there. Also, New York City is SOOOO expensive and hard to do on a budget. California is easier and closer. Budget hotels are much easier to come by in CA than NY. I'd stick to one side of the country. However, if you'd rather go to New York then you might be able to include Washington DC and Florida in your plans and hit Disney World instead of Disneyland.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have just been looking at holiday deals online. Looks like we can stay in a place on the Upper West Side for nearly 2 weeks for just under $2,300 per person, flights included. I honestly don’t care if I have to stay in a laneway lol, I will only be using the hotel to sleep. I want to see it all!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
If she's a really good friend, I would call her and explain the situation. Be honest; you feel torn, but you've had your plan in the works for a while.

Then, I would also offer to do something for her such as participate in throwing a bridal shower or the bachelorette party. And give her as nice of a gift as you can afford.

If she's a decent person, she will understand, and by putting forth the extra effort, you show that you really care and it's just that the timing wasn't right. If she's obnoxious about it, then, well maybe she wasn't such a good friend after all.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Then, I would also offer to do something for her such as participate in throwing a bridal shower or the bachelorette party.
Don’t you think my doing something like that would be saying “You’re right, I should have put you first and I am doing the wrong thing by not being there. This ought to make up for it”?

Old 01-30-2011, 05:39 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Don’t you think my doing something like that would be saying “You’re right, I should have put you first and I am doing the wrong thing by not being there. This ought to make up for it”?
Yup, that's how I read it, too. No need to offer to host a shower or anything else. At most, send a gift. That's it.

And go have a darn good time in NY!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
I guess it just depends on how good of a friend she is. It would be a nice gesture and would let her know that you think her marriage and special day is important and that you're sorry you'll miss it. If she's just a casual work friend or something, I wouldn't sweat it.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I guess it just depends on how good of a friend she is. It would be a nice gesture and would let her know that you think her marriage and special day is important and that you're sorry you'll miss it. If she's just a casual work friend or something, I wouldn't sweat it.
The couple getting married are who we sit with at football games for 6 months of the year. Other than that, we don’t see them at all during the off season. I don’t know how close a friend that makes them, really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings