Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 AM

736 posts, read 1,695,887 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
It seems to be a simple, classic design, but it's hard to see the detail from that angle. If you or someone you know is considering buying a dress like that, my advice is to try it on and attempt to raise your arms. My wedding dress was similar, with pretty capped sleeves, but I could not raise my arms very high due to the way the sleeves were sewn. It made slow dancing awkward because I could not put my hand on his shoulder.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 AM

736 posts, read 1,695,887 times
I've seen a lot of dresses that look like this:

but I have some acne scars on my back, but I'd rather wear something more like the second dress than the first one.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,750,697 times
I had a sleeveless (not strapless) gown that had a relatively high back (needed to cover my industrial strength bra!). They are available. Mine was from the bridal company Rainbow.

But if you like the look of this dress and feel like the bride you want to be in it then go for it. I really regretted my dress, I was only 'allowed' to pick from the 3 or 4 dresses the store would show me and because of where I lived that was my only option. I still wish I'd fought more for what I wanted 9 years later.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
I think it's a classic design and it depends on the bride. The dress should fit the personality of the bride and she must be comfortable with the dress on wedding day.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I am not a big fan of strapless wedding dresses or any that are too sexy or show a lot of cleavage. That's just me. The one above is not bad (better than many strapless gowns I have seen) but still too revealing for my tastes. My sister-in-law and her attendants all wore stunning, strapless white Vera Wang gowns and looked very pretty, but they were all slim women and not very busty, and their necklines were not low. To me, a wedding dress should not be sexier or more revealing or flashy than anything you'd normally wear in church, but then again, not all weddings are in churches. And my attendants wore black ... I know Miss Manners would have the vapors over that.

What's my point? I'm not sure.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
I like simple luxury, not just plain simple. I'm also really not fond of stark white as a color choice. So that gown in the OP's photo is really very unappealing to me. Judging strictly by the photo and not up close and personal, it looks like a cross between a nurse's uniform and a Simplicity pattern sundress. If it was (real) silk satin, or an eggshell color, or had some kind of trim on the neckline and sleeve hem, then it'd probably be a world of improvement.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,902 times
I love that dress. It is simple, elegant and tastful and doesn't look like all the other dresses out there that seem to be strapless. Strapless was a nice look for a really beautiful women but it doesn't favor many who wear it and besides it has been done to death.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,679 times
I like the first dress, but it just seems very demure to me. It is similar to the dresses I saw in the LDS section of my bridal shop. Since we have a large Mormon population here, they offered a section of dresses that were slightly more plain and covered more for the brides. It is a very nice option and I'm not trying to put down anyone's personal choice.

I'm not a fan of strapless gowns. I think they are way too overused and just don't catch my eye.

Check in to a boat-neck style. Some of them offer a higher back.

Also keep this in mind. I have a large tattoo on my back that I didn't want on full display for my elderly relatives to view as I was standing at the alter. I found that my veil completely covered it and no one even knew I had a tattoo. If you are opting for a veil, they do provide some coverage.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:26 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
I've seen a lot of dresses that look like this:

but I have some acne scars on my back, but I'd rather wear something more like the second dress than the first one.
I would not worry about the acne scars. Your veil or shawl should hide it. You can do a strapless with veil for ceremony. If you want the veil off for the reception, you can get a shawl or a bolero. Also they have products for covering body scars (like Dermablend).

Trust me, nobody will look that closely... and nobody else but you and maybe your husband (and that is questionable in most cases) will remember what your dress looked like. Get a style that you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings