Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times

Advertisements

No one wants to be that woman who been engaged seemingly forever waiting on a wedding that everybody and their mama know isn't coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
I don't count it as an engagement if you haven't set a date.

I have seen people mentioning their fiance and their 5 kids. Do people know what these words mean, fiance and engagement?

Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I have seen people mentioning their fiance and their 5 kids. Do people know what these words mean, fiance and engagement?
Do you know what those words mean?

An engagement ts just an agreement or promise to get married. Fiance is a future spouse. I really don't see why some you can't be engaged if you have 5 children. Its not like these words mean virgin bride.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
To me engagement means a set date. Otherwise anyone can say someone is a fiance.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
To me engagement means a set date. Otherwise anyone can say someone is a fiance.
So you are saying that if a girl is proposed to, that person isn't her fiance until after they've officially set the date? That just seems silly. Engagements don't have a set time frame. They can last as little as a few hours, to a few years. Its whatever is right for the couple.

And so what if people call someone a fiance and you don't agree with it? That is their choice. They believe in their heart that they are going to marry that person someday, so they feel as if that title is okay to use. People use different titles for their relationship There is no crime in calling someone your fiance before you're officially decided on the exact date of a wedding, or what you are going to wear, eat, invite, etc. If you don't want to call someone your fiance before setting the date (even after the proposal) then go for it. But to try and say that others should go by your made up rules? No.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:16 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
"Engagement" means the two people have agreed to get married.

"Setting a date" means a date has been set.

So when a lovely young lass has her upstanding handsome boyfriend get down on one knee and profess his love and ask for her hand, and she accepts; when she immediately calls her mother and friends she can't scream, "I"M ENGAGED?" According to your reasoning she can't.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So when a lovely young lass has her upstanding handsome boyfriend get down on one knee and profess his love and ask for her hand, and she accepts; when she immediately calls her mother and friends she can't scream, "I"M ENGAGED?" According to your reasoning she can't.
Unless his proposal includes a date.

"My dear sweet Gertrude, will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 5pm sharp?"

If she says yes, they are then engaged! Especially since the engagement will only last a little under 3 months, so its the right amount of time and everything... according to some.

Although it does all seem just a little silly.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Well, depending on what time of year you want to marry, it can be difficult to get the reception venue and church booked. If you have your heart set on a certain reception venue, then you have to choose when the church and the reception venue are both available.

I think it was around nine months for me from the time I started planning to the actual date. While I did get married in the time frame I wanted to, I think there were only a few dates over a several month time period. In general the place I got married at, people start planning a year ahead of time if they are very particular about a certain date.

If you are more flexible about the ceremony and reception locations then you have more options.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
We're looking at an 18 month engagement. One because both of us have a close family member in the hospital and prognosis is not good for either person. So that takes precedence right now. Two is because I suggested Halloween or a Friday the 13th because he is a horror movie fan. This Halloween would be too soon and it's a Thursday. The only months with a Friday the 13th is this December (too crazy of a month for both of us with work) or next June (busiest wedding month of the year). So thus we are looking at 18 months.

I just find it odd you are already plotting your engagement to this guy when it's only been a few months and you didn't sound so confident in other posts.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 AM

241 posts, read 373,077 times
Interesting. We are having a 6 month engangement, and I was concerned that was too short! We have a venue, etc, so I guess not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings