Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,533 times

Advertisements

I have never understood the appeal of the diamond solitaire as an engagement ring, but I was curious as to how the average bride today feels. Historically, a wide variety of stones were used for engagement. How do you feel about a nontraditional ring (nondiamond solitaire)? Feel free to share pics of those that you like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Personally, I LIKE the diamond for engagement rings.

Feel free to choose what YOU like!

Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,890 times
I have a diamond engagement ring, but I also have another engagement ring with a Russian demantoid garnet. These garnets have a high refractive index similar to a diamond.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I have a diamond engagement ring, but I also have another engagement ring with a Russian demantoid garnet. These garnets have a high refractive index similar to a diamond.

Yes, I have seen those and they are lovely.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with other people having diamond rings, but I have seen some very interesting choices with different gems. To me, a round diamond solitaire is not that noteworthy.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Here are some examples-- which do you prefer?

Have a MARRY Christmas! | Sissy's Log Cabin

Gemstone Engagement Rings, Engagement Rings | Gemvara

Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Since giving an engagement ring is a custom and not a requirement, it's up to you to pick what you want. I had a nice sized ruby solitaire in an antique squared off setting, and when I got married the wedding rings I fell in love with didn't match. When I got engaged, among my friends not getting diamonds was sort of a thing.

Now -- I don't wear a wedding ring anymore (it's too big) and neither does my husband (he has RA and his knuckles are gnarling), so I have other bands that I love.

If I did it again -- I'd get a band of diamonds (I do love diamonds...) probably in pear shapes, and definitely in "D" or "E" color.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,051 times
For my next go-round, I would not have an engagement ring at all, just a jeweled band. However, it will be diamond. (And if I WERE to have an engagement ring, it would be diamond.) That ring is something I would wear every day, with every outfit, so I like the clear stone instead of something colored that might look awful with my look for that particular day. A big ruby when I'm wearing hot pink? Heaven forbid! Hehe. Weird, I know.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
For my next go-round, I would not have an engagement ring at all, just a jeweled band. However, it will be diamond. (And if I WERE to have an engagement ring, it would be diamond.) That ring is something I would wear every day, with every outfit, so I like the clear stone instead of something colored that might look awful with my look for that particular day. A big ruby when I'm wearing hot pink? Heaven forbid! Hehe. Weird, I know.
Is there a rule that engagement rings have to have a certain look? Why can't a diamond band be an engagement ring?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:39 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Oh, skater -- how are you? My ruby would have gone beautifully with hot pink -- it was more pink than red anyway.

I rarely tell the whole story behind it, but before our tenth anniversary I wore it to work to take it to the jewelers to make sure it was still set well and to get it cleaned. Three women thought it was a pink tourmaline that day.

So when I took it to the jeweler (who I trusted very much) I asked him to check to see if it was a ruby or what. I mean, the ring was a family heirloom, that mattered more than if was not a ruby.

He stuck it under the microscope, and stuttered.... yes it... it is a ruby....

I sensed there was a "but" there....

It was manufactured. Rubies were the first stones they figured out how to make. When he realized I wasn't going to take it out on the messenger (apparently that happened a number of times), we started looking into the history of manufactured stones.

That year I got my pear diamond band.

Nine years later my house was broken into and my jewelry (among other things) was taken -- wedding ring, engagement ring, anniversary band, earrings. The house was tossed looking for anything of value. I did buy my wedding ring back from a local pawn shop years later.

Doing janitorial for a living you don't really want to wear rings....

Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh, skater -- how are you? My ruby would have gone beautifully with hot pink -- it was more pink than red anyway.

I rarely tell the whole story behind it, but before our tenth anniversary I wore it to work to take it to the jewelers to make sure it was still set well and to get it cleaned. Three women thought it was a pink tourmaline that day.

So when I took it to the jeweler (who I trusted very much) I asked him to check to see if it was a ruby or what. I mean, the ring was a family heirloom, that mattered more than if was not a ruby.

He stuck it under the microscope, and stuttered.... yes it... it is a ruby....

I sensed there was a "but" there....

It was manufactured. Rubies were the first stones they figured out how to make. When he realized I wasn't going to take it out on the messenger (apparently that happened a number of times), we started looking into the history of manufactured stones.

That year I got my pear diamond band.

Nine years later my house was broken into and my jewelry (among other things) was taken -- wedding ring, engagement ring, anniversary band, earrings. The house was tossed looking for anything of value. I did buy my wedding ring back from a local pawn shop years later.

Doing janitorial for a living you don't really want to wear rings....
Wow that is crazy! You were meant to have that ring.

I, too, have a beautiful ring which looks like a very pinky red ruby in a 1920s Art Nouveau setting. Its a "synthethic" ruby, which was very common at the time as you say but I have found that I prefer it to the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings