Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:38 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times

Advertisements

I'm not officially engaged* yet but will probably get married in the next 1-2 years. I'm not really serious about looking for wedding gowns yet but more of a looking online to see what I like. What I generally like are more traditional gowns with the blusher veil (veil covers the face), a long train and veil. However a relative got into an argument because they said because I am older I shouldn't wear a train or veil, especially blusher. That infuriated me because as a first time bride I have the right to wear anything a first time bride does. It's bad enough I'm marrying later than usual why should I be penalized a second time? I am going to wear a blusher and a long train. I figure if people don't like it they don't have to come.

The reason we aren't official yet is because we want to get our finances more in line. I am thinking of going back to school next year for a year program. We talk about what we want in a wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 03:59 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Wow... way too much drama! Wear what you want. Why let ONE person get to you like that?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:46 PM

I guess it bothered me because they were judging me. They made me feel bad for wanting a formal ceremony because according to them I should do the courthouse thing followed by a picnic. That's good for some but not my thing.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Wear whatever you want to wear. It's your wedding!

Personally, I think a blusher veil is great... I don't know why your relative has such strong objections. But then, if you were to ask all your friends and relatives for their opinions, they would be all over the map... wear white, don't wear white... go strapless, don't go strapless... go floor length, go knee length... just go with what you want to wear, because you're going to be the one wearing it.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:55 PM

I won't wear strapless though. That style (to me) looks tacky on most brides and while I am toned for my age I wouldn't feel comfortable. This relative has always been judgmental towards me so this is her latest.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:02 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I won't wear strapless though. That style (to me) looks tacky on most brides and while I am toned for my age I wouldn't feel comfortable. This relative has always been judgmental towards me so this is her latest.
First of all -- I dare her to find a gown without a train. Just ain't happening.

Second of all -- keep in mind that a strapless gown can be a starting point. The strapless gown can be altered with a lace overlay (like what Kate wore), or jackets, or cap sleeves/ straps made from tulle or lace -- almost all the strapless gowns I've seen on TV and magazines can be adjusted to fit your style. And some of the gowns that aren't strapless by design lack a lot of structure, and sort of look baggy and shapeless.

I don't like strapless gowns either, but after watching a lot of these bridal shows and having sewing experience (and I do not sew bridal -- that to me is some amazing sewing) -- I'm getting the idea of what the boning structure does -- especially for a long formal gown.

You can find unstructured gowns at modest gown sites -- and they look like stuff out of the 60's. That was fine for the 60's ... it's not the 60's anymore.

Third of all -- this is your first wedding. Tell your relative to kindly stuff it.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Do whatever you want.

People also say that people who have been married before should not have a formal wedding; they should elope.

What about people who eloped the first time?

Can they not have formal weddings?

We refused gifts from family (we only invited family). We had no showers. Well, they threw me one at work, but I specifically asked them not to.

I wore the dress I wanted. We had the wedding we wanted. Do whatever you like.

People will always find something to gripe about.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:14 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
If you know the relative is so critical, why even discuss it with her? You deserve to wear anything you'd like at your wedding. Do what you want, and let your wedding dress be a surprise to all of your guests.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
First of all -- I dare her to find a gown without a train. Just ain't happening.

Second of all -- keep in mind that a strapless gown can be a starting point. The strapless gown can be altered with a lace overlay (like what Kate wore), or jackets, or cap sleeves/ straps made from tulle or lace -- almost all the strapless gowns I've seen on TV and magazines can be adjusted to fit your style. And some of the gowns that aren't strapless by design lack a lot of structure, and sort of look baggy and shapeless.

I don't like strapless gowns either, but after watching a lot of these bridal shows and having sewing experience (and I do not sew bridal -- that to me is some amazing sewing) -- I'm getting the idea of what the boning structure does -- especially for a long formal gown.

You can find unstructured gowns at modest gown sites -- and they look like stuff out of the 60's. That was fine for the 60's ... it's not the 60's anymore.

Third of all -- this is your first wedding. Tell your relative to kindly stuff it.
I didn't know this until recently when someone told me. I thought that if you got a strapless that was it, but a friend who got married told me what happens now usually is you buy a strapless then they add other things like sleeves. I don't mind dresses with a bit of cleavage (I have a large chest)but definitely want to cover my arms or at least the upper arms and shoulders. I'm not sure but I think in Catholic weddings the shoulders have to be covered anyway. My relative told me I should buy a dress at a regular store, like a prom dress. I actually know someone who did that, then they had it altered to add a train. I like cathedral trains, but kind of like what my mom has, which is a removable train. I like her dress but can't wear it because I am considerably taller and heavier than my mom.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:46 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times
That's silly, it doesn't matter how old you are. Wear what you want! I'm not a big fan of strapless dresses either, but I do love them with overlays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings