Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:26 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times

Advertisements

Talk with your GF about what she likes and maybe consider moissainite and use the money you save to put towards a nice car or house down payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times
Why bother with Tiffany's? Don't they use diamonds mined by African slaves and war lords?

I was browsing and found a reputable company called Brilliant Earth. They have a BBB rating of A+ and make lab-made diamonds of the same quality, cut carat color clarity as one mined. They have platinum settings, too, if that's your choice and you can see a preview of what the diamond you select will look like on an actual hand before buying. They also come with free complimentary resizing just in case.

Regarding price, I made a 1.10 carat round cut diamond through Brilliant Earth, with a platinum 2mm comfort fit setting, and the price was under $6,000. I think the rule on price is maximum three months salary, so they're affordable, too.

And, as other posters have suggested, she may not prefer a diamond, she might want a sapphire or ruby. Maybe she wants meteorite, did you ever ponder that as a gem? Ask her. I know I would want to be asked what kind of ring I'd want, but guys want the surprise factor. If you want it to be a surprise, ask her close friends about her taste in engagement rings. Good luck!

Last edited by Yiuppy; 07-10-2014 at 07:36 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
I bought my fiance a ring from T&C and it's only .71 carats, but it's the best or second best in both color and clarity. She loves the size and thinks it fits perfectly on her hand, and other people have said that it is bigger than theirs and they have over a 1ct diamond.

The best part is after a year still, whenever she looks at it she gets the biggest smile. She loves being able to look at it and have it sparkle even if it hasn't been cleaned in a while.

When I was shopping for a ring this one person told me about a customer that came in and said they wanted a 3ct diamond but only had something like 15k to spend on it, so he ended up buying a pretty much yellow diamond with noticeable imperfections.

So which would your fiance rather have? Big and ugly or small and beautiful? I'll just echo what everyone else says, size isn't the only factor.

Also, since you are going to T&C, their 6 prong Tiffany setting (according to people my fiance has talked to) makes the diamonds look bigger.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Find out out what she likes then go buy something in a price range that starts at the equivalent of one months salary.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:50 PM

318 posts, read 950,836 times
It kind of depends. The thing about color and clarity is that differences are fairly difficult to tell apart with the naked eye. If you want a bigger cut, then you can probably sacrifice color/clarity. Then it becomes more cosmetic in nature. A smaller more pure diamond will look less impressive at first glance, but is something more to boast about.

If you're going for Tiffany, be prepared to do some shopping and being put on wait lists. I got my finace's engagement ring there as well, and I was waitlisted for two diamonds before I got one.

^^
And please, ignore any rules or formulas about price and salary.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Why bother with Tiffany's? Don't they use diamonds mined by African slaves and war lords?

I was browsing and found a reputable company called Brilliant Earth. They have a BBB rating of A+ and make lab-made diamonds of the same quality, cut carat color clarity as one mined. They have platinum settings, too, if that's your choice and you can see a preview of what the diamond you select will look like on an actual hand before buying. They also come with free complimentary resizing just in case.

Regarding price, I made a 1.10 carat round cut diamond through Brilliant Earth, with a platinum 2mm comfort fit setting, and the price was under $6,000. I think the rule on price is maximum three months salary, so they're affordable, too.

And, as other posters have suggested, she may not prefer a diamond, she might want a sapphire or ruby. Maybe she wants meteorite, did you ever ponder that as a gem? Ask her. I know I would want to be asked what kind of ring I'd want, but guys want the surprise factor. If you want it to be a surprise, ask her close friends about her taste in engagement rings. Good luck!
Actually, T&C own most of their mines. To ensure that their diamonds are conflict-free. The stones they purchase elsewhere must be from third parties that source conflict-free stones.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:02 PM

530 posts, read 667,368 times
If you are buying for your future wife and not for the benefit of society, why not just ask her what shape and size she wants? Her opinion is the only one (in jewelry matters, for one) that should ever be important to you.
I am a fan of Tiffany & Co. and think they have wonderful baubles but Blue Nile is also a very nice establishment to deal with.
Good luck!

Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
What is "acceptable" depends on a lot of factors like culture, budget, social circle, her taste, etc.

I wouldn't bother with Tiffany & Company. What you're paying for is the brand. You can get better for much less elsewhere. I also wouldn't bother with B&M jewelry stores. I've studied gemology in the past. I became fascinated with it when I began researching my first and second upgrade during my first marriage. Pricescope is one of the best resources out there, and they have a fantastic community as well. I used to post on there.

Cut is king. Cut is how the diamond, its proportions, was cut. Super ideal or ideal cut diamonds are king. That is the first spec that should be top priority on your list. Ideal cut diamonds (per AGS guidelines) and super ideal cut (Hearts & Arrows) will appear larger, able to hide inclusions in the SI1&2 range and face up whiter. You get the most fire, brilliance and light return in super ideal and ideal cut diamonds. Now, this spec, super ideal and ideal is specific to round brilliants. Other shapes can have excellent cut proportions. Round brilliants are classic and the most common shape.

Carat, this is very budget dependent. The closer you get to.50, .75, and 1.00+ in .25 increments, the price jumps a lot, so if you want to maximize the size of your stone and save money, you can aim just under those carat weights. So, .70 or .90 or .95. If you choose an ideal (AGS) or excellent (GIA) cut stone, you can go "down" in color and not sacrifice quality. Like, for instance, many in the B&M retail business will encourage buyers to go for the GH colorless range, which can come with a steeper price tag. A lot of people can't afford DEF range (DE are rarely in stock, same for F and IF clarity), and these are quite expensive. The difference between a typical G/H or I/J can rarely be seen by an untrained eye. It is pretty minimal. Some people prefer a subtle warmth to their stones, and others prefer stark white.

Clarity is another spec. The majority of stones B&M jewelers carry are in the VS2, SI and I1-3 range, and poorly cut. What you'll get is a crap diamond, but most people don't know diamonds and can't discern the difference between an ideal cut diamond with proportionate specs and a standard, often poorly cut diamond that exhibits a lot of body color and inclusions. The lowest in color I'd go in a super ideal cut or ideal cut RB is J, and SI1 in clarity, but would consider a handpicked, carefully chosen SI2, if the inclusion is not noticeable to the naked eye or is covered by the setting. In antique cuts, like old european, old mine, and antique cushion, these cuts often come in warmer colors, so going lower in color, as long as cut is not sacrificed, is not an issue.

For my first upgrade, I used James Allen. I chose a 1.03 ideal cut round brilliant (AGS000 - ideal cut, polish and symmetry), J color and VS1 in clarity. The cost was around 5k. I also purchased two side stones that were .55 and .53, and they were I color and VS2. Those were about $1200 each. They were GIA EX/EX/EX (excellent cut, polish and symmetry). The 1 ct stone had strong fluorescence, which can make the diamond appear violet/blueish in direct sunlight. I received pictures, specs, ideal scope, aset image, and everything through e-mail. I also received a Pricescope discount since that is the site I used for my stone search. James Allen was fabulous to work with.

For my second upgrade, I turned my three stone into a five stone and changed my setting. I used Brian Gavin Diamonds for my custom upgrade, and they were absolutely phenomenal. My side stones, gorgeous they were, were .50 pointers, H&A, and they sent professional photos of the completed ring.

Diamond Fluorescence | PriceScope
GIA Ex vs AGS Ideal
Diamond Guide | PriceScope

The only grading reports I trust are GIA and AGS.

Holloway Cut Advisor to reject poorly cut diamonds:

Holloway Cut Adviser | PriceScope

Great online vendors:

Massapequa Park Jewelers | Good Old Gold - GoodOldGold.com
Certified Diamonds, Designer Engagement Rings, Diamond Jewelry in Houston | Whiteflash
Engagement rings & loose diamonds at JamesAllen.com
Brian Gavin: Custom Engagement Rings, Loose Diamonds & Designer Jewelry
Super Ideal Diamonds - AGS Ideal 0 Diamond Information

Here's an example of what you can get for 3k:

It's a Hearts & Arrows (best of the best), 0.72 ct, I color and VS2 clarity. AGS cert/grading report.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/di...s-104070945022

Or something slightly smaller, 0.60, for under 2k: Hearts & Arrows, I color and SI1 clarity, and AGS cert:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/di...c-104068465071

Old 07-15-2014, 04:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Well, thing is... if she wants Tiffany, then she will have to get a smaller stone from Tiffany.

My husband decided he wanted to buy me a Tiffany diamond. I would've been fine with a diamond of lower quality and price than the one I received, but that's what he decided he wanted to invest in, and I wasn't going to argue. I had to talk him out of a flawless diamond as it was.

Instead, we wound up with D, VVS1 in a square step cut (which most people refer to as Asscher cut, but not Tiffany, for name liability reasons). I love it. It's 1.48 carats and that's just big enough to really see the sparkle from the facets. We might trade it up, but I doubt I'd go bigger than 2.5 carats because I tried on a 3 carat and it was just huge on my hand. I have small fingers. I really do think 2 carat would be plenty if I traded up at all. I get attached to things so I might not.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:16 PM

136 posts, read 491,879 times
That was an incredibly informative and insightful post, Metaphysique. Thank you so much - now there's a whole new world of information I'll have to soak up and investigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
What is "acceptable" depends on a lot of factors like culture, budget, social circle, her taste, etc.

I wouldn't bother with Tiffany & Company. What you're paying for is the brand. You can get better for much less elsewhere. I also wouldn't bother with B&M jewelry stores. I've studied gemology in the past. I became fascinated with it when I began researching my first and second upgrade during my first marriage. Pricescope is one of the best resources out there, and they have a fantastic community as well. I used to post on there.

Cut is king. Cut is how the diamond, its proportions, was cut. Super ideal or ideal cut diamonds are king. That is the first spec that should be top priority on your list. Ideal cut diamonds (per AGS guidelines) and super ideal cut (Hearts & Arrows) will appear larger, able to hide inclusions in the SI1&2 range and face up whiter. You get the most fire, brilliance and light return in super ideal and ideal cut diamonds. Now, this spec, super ideal and ideal is specific to round brilliants. Other shapes can have excellent cut proportions. Round brilliants are classic and the most common shape.

Carat, this is very budget dependent. The closer you get to.50, .75, and 1.00+ in .25 increments, the price jumps a lot, so if you want to maximize the size of your stone and save money, you can aim just under those carat weights. So, .70 or .90 or .95. If you choose an ideal (AGS) or excellent (GIA) cut stone, you can go "down" in color and not sacrifice quality. Like, for instance, many in the B&M retail business will encourage buyers to go for the GH colorless range, which can come with a steeper price tag. A lot of people can't afford DEF range (DE are rarely in stock, same for F and IF clarity), and these are quite expensive. The difference between a typical G/H or I/J can rarely be seen by an untrained eye. It is pretty minimal. Some people prefer a subtle warmth to their stones, and others prefer stark white.

Clarity is another spec. The majority of stones B&M jewelers carry are in the VS2, SI and I1-3 range, and poorly cut. What you'll get is a crap diamond, but most people don't know diamonds and can't discern the difference between an ideal cut diamond with proportionate specs and a standard, often poorly cut diamond that exhibits a lot of body color and inclusions. The lowest in color I'd go in a super ideal cut or ideal cut RB is J, and SI1 in clarity, but would consider a handpicked, carefully chosen SI2, if the inclusion is not noticeable to the naked eye or is covered by the setting. In antique cuts, like old european, old mine, and antique cushion, these cuts often come in warmer colors, so going lower in color, as long as cut is not sacrificed, is not an issue.

For my first upgrade, I used James Allen. I chose a 1.03 ideal cut round brilliant (AGS000 - ideal cut, polish and symmetry), J color and VS1 in clarity. The cost was around 5k. I also purchased two side stones that were .55 and .53, and they were I color and VS2. Those were about $1200 each. They were GIA EX/EX/EX (excellent cut, polish and symmetry). The 1 ct stone had strong fluorescence, which can make the diamond appear violet/blueish in direct sunlight. I received pictures, specs, ideal scope, aset image, and everything through e-mail. I also received a Pricescope discount since that is the site I used for my stone search. James Allen was fabulous to work with.

For my second upgrade, I turned my three stone into a five stone and changed my setting. I used Brian Gavin Diamonds for my custom upgrade, and they were absolutely phenomenal. My side stones, gorgeous they were, were .50 pointers, H&A, and they sent professional photos of the completed ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings