Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

My niece and nephew and a ton of their friends ALL went on honeymoons long after the wedding. I just assumed that was the way it was done now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 08:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
What we are going to be doing (a cabin in the mountains) is something we enjoy doing and would normally do.

Neither of us need or want extravagant nor do we want to go to a foreign country. What we WOULD like to do is something neither of us have done together before.
That's great that you want to take a trip doing something you haven't done before. But taking a trip doing something you've done before doesn't make it not a honeymoon.

Look, there are no laws regarding the description of a honeymoon; so call it whatever. But, if you take a trip after your wedding (however short or normal to you), that is your honeymoon. I really can't understand why you would not want to call it one. You are together with your husband, after the wedding, relaxing, and doing something you both enjoy.

Your next trip (doing something that you haven't done before) will be a fantastic vacation. You are allowed to have those too, as well as a honeymoon.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:49 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
That's great that you want to take a trip doing something you haven't done before. But taking a trip doing something you've done before doesn't make it not a honeymoon.

Look, there are no laws regarding the description of a honeymoon; so call it whatever. But, if you take a trip after your wedding (however short or normal to you), that is your honeymoon. I really can't understand why you would not want to call it one. You are together with your husband, after the wedding, relaxing, and doing something you both enjoy.

Your next trip (doing something that you haven't done before) will be a fantastic vacation. You are allowed to have those too, as well as a honeymoon.
Because it is not what we want for our honeymoon.

So I could take a trip to Maryland (I live in VA) and we could spend the night at a relatives house the night of the wedding and stay a couple days and that would be my honeymoon?

I do not agree that if you go someplace after your wedding it must be called your honeymoon.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
So I could take a trip to Maryland (I live in VA) and we could spend the night at a relatives house the night of the wedding and stay a couple days and that would be my honeymoon?
um, yes.

Quote:
I do not agree that if you go someplace after your wedding it must be called your honeymoon.
Feel free to not agree, I'm just going by the definition of the word.

As I said, there are no laws. Call whatever trip you take what ever you want. Why not call every trip you take during your marriage your honeymoon? If it doesn't have to be the trip after your wedding, then there is nothing that says you can only have one.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
um, yes.

As I said, there are no laws. Call whatever trip you take what ever you want. Why not call every trip you take during your marriage your honeymoon? If it doesn't have to be the trip after your wedding, then there is nothing that says you can only have one.
Because every trip we take to the grocery store is not gonna be a honeymoon.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:43 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Because it is not what we want for our honeymoon.

Quote:
um, yes.

I agree with spencgr, yes, your honeymoon could very well be visiting an out of town relative. Think back to your parents (depending on their age), grandparents, great-grandparents. Unless they were extremely wealthy their honeymoons probably were visiting an out of town relative and staying at their home IF they even did that. I know that my grandparents (both sets) did not spend even one night "alone" with their husband or on a honeymoon. The wife just moved into her in-laws house and started married life with her husband on their wedding night. My parents AND his brother and wife took a weekend trip (about a two hour drive away) as their honeymoon.

I know a couple that called every trip that they took, before they had kids, as their honeymoon. They had honeymoons #1 to #5 (maybe even more) before they started calling trips vacations.

But, OP, you and your spouse call it whatever you want to call it and take it whenever you want to take it.

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-07-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 09-07-2015, 11:32 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Pik -- right now I am covered in hives, itchy as all get out and extremely cranky, so this isn't going to be my usual measured words.

Don't listen to anyone being literal, or being a debby downer -- you can call whatever vacation you want a honeymoon. That's how you keep love alive. Each day you have together is a gift.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:53 PM

Thanks everyone. Thank you Tallysmom.

You know, neither my parents nor my grandparents had a honeymoon. I didn't have one either with my first marriage.

Now I am checking things off the list for the wedding, doing DIY here and there......

Old 09-08-2015, 06:16 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
I am not even sure if our first anniversary trip will pan out, honestly! My husband will just be finishing his degree at that point so we have been pretty much living on my salary alone (and I paid for the majority of our wedding expenses). We were thinking of saving the money on that and using it towards other things we need.

Maybe once he is finished with grad school and becomes a PA.... then we can go! So maybe it is a 5 year trip!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
My husband and I planned our honeymoon for over a year after we married, since we did leave the country. It's nice to be able to take your time and relax. There's so much involved in most weddings that adding complex travel plans can be too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings