Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 04:40 AM

134 posts, read 192,092 times

Advertisements

I have seen various threads across the web that ask this same question and was wondering on a philosophically etiquette point of view, what your view and opinion about this is especially if its not a close friend/family member?

the rationale behind doing this and taking this course of action is that its either to expensive or not enough space at the reception venue to have everyone they want at the wedding reception but don't want to exclude everyone they know in their life, so they compromise and invite them to the ceremony only to somehow make these people feel included.

would you invite would-be guests to a ceremony only invite if money/room at the reception was an issue and didn't want to exclude no too close people in your life from the wedding altogether?

please comment?

would love to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 05:13 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Well, I'm thinking long and hard on that before I answer, but, I have to say, your posting history is cute.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:14 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Rude, cheap, gift grab.

If you really wanted those people to be able to attend you would have rented a larger venue.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:10 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I've been to several receptions where the couple had a more private ceremony and a larger party after, but vice-versa doesn't sit right. The social expectation is that you're inviting these people to share in your event, and providing them with a piece of cake at the very least to show your appreciation. Kicking most people out after the ceremony is over is not exactly in the spirit of bringing people together. Planning a wedding is being a host, and you shouldn't invite more people than you can host.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
No. Completely rude. Don't do it. Any etiquette book would tell you the same.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:32 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Gift grabbing cheapskate!

Old 12-11-2016, 02:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
I have seen this done when the bride was an elementary or preschool teacher and she invited all of her students, and their parents, to the wedding ceremony. In the couple of cases that I know about they specifically stated no presents.

In another situation, someone invited the people that she worked with at a group home for the cognitively delayed, and again, stated no presents.

Other than that, IMHO, invite guests to everything or not at all.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:24 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I think it's tacky.

I have heard of churches where parishioners may show uninvited to a ceremony as a way of supporting the family and the couple. That is their own choice though.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:55 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
I have seen various threads across the web that ask this same question and was wondering on a philosophically etiquette point of view, what your view and opinion about this is especially if its not a close friend/family member?

the rationale behind doing this and taking this course of action is that its either to expensive or not enough space at the reception venue to have everyone they want at the wedding reception but don't want to exclude everyone they know in their life, so they compromise and invite them to the ceremony only to somehow make these people feel included.

would you invite would-be guests to a ceremony only invite if money/room at the reception was an issue and didn't want to exclude no too close people in your life from the wedding altogether?

please comment?

would love to know?

No. If I couldn't invite people to BOTH the wedding and the reception I'd either invite them to neither or find a bigger venue and include them in both. I've never heard of inviting someone to the wedding only. And would find it insulting and tacky if anyone did.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:54 PM

297 posts, read 573,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have seen this done when the bride was an elementary or preschool teacher and she invited all of her students, and their parents, to the wedding ceremony. In the couple of cases that I know about they specifically stated no presents.

In another situation, someone invited the people that she worked with at a group home for the cognitively delayed, and again, stated no presents.

Other than that, IMHO, invite guests to everything or not at all.
^^This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings