Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 11:26 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~

Since $$ is usually a subject for young newlyweds, it stands to reason to go ahead with your wedding and honeymoon, but wait on the "reception."
What I'm hearing is couple's will host a "celebration" when they're more financially able to handle it. Some wait as long as 5-6 years!
It makes no sense to go into a business partnership (marriage) deep in debt. That just causes stress and angst, during a time that should be full of love/acceptance & positive emotions. Don't let that ruin your good time.

I know, I know, this coming from a dad that had 650 guests at his daughter's wedding. (Hey, I'm a softie!)

Anyway, best of luck to you, ofc!

Ha....thank you. Money isn't the problem tho....just the pandemic. I'm super lucky that he is taking me on an amazing honeymoon like this, specially since covid changed our other plans so much. I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 11:29 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I don’t think anyone expects anything anymore. Because I think everyone’s set of friends have a way they do things.

When my niece and nephew got married a few years apart, where they were, and with their set of friends, what was done was — you had the wedding, you had the reception, then you had an after party. The after party was for the closest friends and the parents and all the older folks just went home — we were tired, we were done.

And then the next day everybody nearby got back together for a brunch. And the gifts would be opened, often usually beforehand, and everybody could walk around and look at all the gifts. I like that part. I made the quilts, I got lots of compliments.

My niece and her husband went on their honeymoon right away, my nephew and his wife waited three or four months because there was something specific they wanted to do with that was happening when they went and no other time. And nobody cared.

I think it’s that way with the whole wedding thing. In my family, children are welcome with open arms to weddings. In fact we had somebody in our family not have children at the wedding and everybody looked at them like that’s really kind of weird, why are you doing that. And it’s been 30 years and people still talk about it because it’s just. not. done.

But I moved out here, and child free weddings are common that’s just how everybody does it. And when somebody invited children to the wedding everybody was like what? I don’t wanna bring the kids, I wanna have a night off.

And they’re both fine. As my sister likes to say— you do you. By the way, we chose to not have children so we don’t have a dog in that fight.

Old 11-14-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I always tell you the day is about you and he. Maybe this is a sign of what your wedding really should be..

Ita....you are so right! This is like Plan C....BUT we finally got it! We started planning this last yr & our plans AND my dresses changed 3 times because of covid!

Quote:
Are you still able to get the original gown or no?

I canceled it months ago. BUT....I'm super excited about the new gown to take pictures on the beach. We'll have some pictures here & pictures there.....2 different dresses but neither 1 is the original gown. It wouldn't be right....I can't walk on the beach with a small train... It will be WARM & we will be taking all kinds of natural & remote pictures. IMO the pictures will be better than the venue we had planned indoors at night BUT we will miss friends & our families ofc. We're making lemonade out of lemons

Quote:
If you do get to redo it in front of family, it will be for show because you're already married, technically, it won't be your wedding gown.

It won't be for show...ha. We'll be married when we celebrate with our friends & families....we won't "rerun" our vows or my dress.

edit: By getting away tho for a big honeymoon...it's Ok if it turns out to be months & months before we can.

Old 11-21-2020, 06:55 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita....you are so right! This is like Plan C....BUT we finally got it! We started planning this last yr & our plans AND my dresses changed 3 times because of covid!
Your day sounds like it will be a super romantic wedding. That's how ours was. We wrote our own vows using cards we had given each other. I said a line from a card I'd given him, then he would say a line from a card he gave me. I printed them on really pretty wedding paper. Even though it was super romantic because of the Spanish moss hanging from the trees and a really pretty gazebo at Cypress Gardens in Florida during their mum season, we laughed while saying vows, we also laughed while taking some pictures.

Quote:
I canceled it months ago. BUT....I'm super excited about the new gown to take pictures on the beach. We'll have some pictures here & pictures there.....2 different dresses but neither 1 is the original gown. It wouldn't be right....I can't walk on the beach with a small train... It will be WARM & we will be taking all kinds of natural & remote pictures. IMO the pictures will be better than the venue we had planned indoors at night BUT we will miss friends & our families ofc. We're making lemonade out of lemons
I've seen gowns that were similar to ones you were looking at with trains at beach weddings. They looked just as beautiful at the beach as it would have elsewhere. One of the gals from 90 Day Fiance had a gown with a train on a beach. TLC’s Elizabeth + Andrei of 90 Day Fiancé Tampa, FL Wedding The train at the beach isn't in your vision.

I'm glad your plan C will end up being better then the main plan you had to cancel due to COVID. Thankfully you're not the type of bride that falls apart because the plans changed.

Bindy Irwin ended up doing the same thing, but they kept the original location which is the Australia Zoo of course, unfortunately her husband's family wasn't able to be there but I believe they had a zoom session going, so people were able to see it that way, plus it was on TV. Princess Beatrice was another who's wedding was cancelled who also made lemonade out of these rotten lemons of 2020.

Quote:
It won't be for show...ha. We'll be married when we celebrate with our friends & families....we won't "rerun" our vows or my dress.
Oh, I thought you were going to redo your wedding so the family gets to see you in your gown. Do you have parents? I don't recall reading that your father was going to miss walking you down the isle.

Quote:
edit: By getting away tho for a big honeymoon...it's Ok if it turns out to be months & months before we can.
I read a very tragic article in People magazine last week that made me think of your honeymoon. The bride and groom went to Turks and Caicos, there was a rip current that grabbed them. You don't say where you're going for your honeymoon so I want to link the article just in case you're going to an island that may have rip currents. Their families said that “They died together, that’s the bottom line.” “They were the world to each other. One couldn’t live without the other.”

N.Y. Newlyweds Drown on Island Honeymoon 4 Days After Wedding: ‘It Does Not Feel Real’
Quote:
Maqbool Malik, the father of the groom, said the couple was swimming in waters chest deep on Oct. 28 when they were pulled out by a rip current near Como Parrot Cay, the New York Post reported.

The grieving father told Newsday that the newlyweds were pulled from the water by witnesses who performed CPR, but that they died at the scene.

If you get caught in a rip current, it is advised that you float or swim parallel to shore, as trying to swim against it will just wear you out, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The agency advises swimming diagonally toward the shore once you see land.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Your day sounds like it will be a super romantic wedding. That's how ours was. We wrote our own vows using cards we had given each other. I said a line from a card I'd given him, then he would say a line from a card he gave me. I printed them on really pretty wedding paper. Even though it was super romantic because of the Spanish moss hanging from the trees and a really pretty gazebo at Cypress Gardens in Florida during their mum season, we laughed while saying vows, we also laughed while taking some pictures.

Hi Rose...thank you. We are planning to say our own vows too. I have an idea of what I'm saying....BUT we aren't memorizing it or going by cards. I want it to be casual & just in the moment AND not too long. I love hearing about your wedding tho.....it sounds amazing & you seem super happy.

Quote:
I've seen gowns that were similar to ones you were looking at with trains at beach weddings. They looked just as beautiful at the beach as it would have elsewhere. One of the gals from 90 Day Fiance had a gown with a train on a beach.

I'm glad your plan C will end up being better then the main plan you had to cancel due to COVID. Thankfully you're not the type of bride that falls apart because the plans changed.

I ordered the other dress with a totally different setting in mind....so....the new one has embroidered lace...kinda sheer....& the style kinda screams beach wedding pictures IMO. It's a little more casual chic & sexy. It is the perfect style to take some pictures barefoot too.

It's been super stressful to keep changing & canceling.....tho I am thrilled about our new plans AND my new dress. I'm just worried now that travel could change by then....a lot of counties here are back in the red or purple tier.

Quote:
Oh, I thought you were going to redo your wedding so the family gets to see you in your gown. Do you have parents? I don't recall reading that your father was going to miss walking you down the isle.]

Ha...we are not "redoing" the vows. It's a civil ceremony ....there wasn't going to be an "aisle" for my dad to walk me down in our original plans. We never planned a church....so...that's kinda why it's super easy to make some of the changes we have had to make.

Ofc my parents want to share our happiness.....but they live in SoCal & they will not be coming ofc because of covid.

We plan to have a reception at a later time so everyone can share in the celebration with us.....after a vaccine becomes widely available. I will wear a different dress for that....specially depending on where & when we have it.

Quote:
I read a very tragic article in People magazine last week that made me think of your honeymoon. The bride and groom went to Turks and Caicos, there was a rip current that grabbed them. You don't say where you're going for your honeymoon so I want to link the article just in case you're going to an island that may have rip currents.

no...we aren't going to Turks & Caicos. January is the best month to go for where we are planning....the weather should be warm & amazing. Lots better than Sf.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:37 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Default CONGRATS on your wedding Tasha!

Congrats on your wedding Tasha! I hope it was everything you dreamed it would be and super romantic after having to change from your original New Year's Eve wedding and bash. You'll have to update us on how it went.

Hopefully you're on your honeymoon, enjoying the alone time in your exotic location.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-02-2021 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings