Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:28 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times

Advertisements

In a couple of years my husband and I will be at our 10 year mark in our marriage. We never did the wedding. We just went to the jp. I didn't want a wedding in the beginning because the divorce rate is so high and didn't want to feel I wasted the money if it didn't work out, I know, I'm not a romantic. Now there is always a chance things could fall to pieces but now that we have been together this long and knowing him and finding out how he is as a husband I feel we will make it through the long haul. So have any of you renewed your vows with a ceremony? What was it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 02:39 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
In a couple of years my husband and I will be at our 10 year mark in our marriage. We never did the wedding. We just went to the jp. I didn't want a wedding in the beginning because the divorce rate is so high and didn't want to feel I wasted the money if it didn't work out, I know, I'm not a romantic. Now there is always a chance things could fall to pieces but now that we have been together this long and knowing him and finding out how he is as a husband I feel we will make it through the long haul. So have any of you renewed your vows with a ceremony? What was it like?
OMG your situation sounds exactly like mine except we've been married 5 years and I am a self proclaimed romantic .

We went to the JP too mostly because we were so young and also because we wanted the money for a house. Anyway....we just had a vow renewal this past may on our 5 year anniversary and it was amazing.....it went off without a hitch....

Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
OMG your situation sounds exactly like mine except we've been married 5 years and I am a self proclaimed romantic .

We went to the JP too mostly because we were so young and also because we wanted the money for a house. Anyway....we just had a vow renewal this past may on our 5 year anniversary and it was amazing.....it went off without a hitch....
Can you describe what you did? I have no idea how to plan this sort of thing.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,797 times
My husband and I are struggling and he wants us to renew our vows. I just don't feel right doing that since I think, without any work, he just thinks it will fix everything.
I see it as a celebration of your vows...I'm not quite ready to celebrate...

Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Our church did this a few years ago on Valentine's Day - it was really nice! Any couple who wanted to participate could and then the church sponsered a nice meal afterwards in the church hall. There was a nice string quartet, catered food, candlelight. Everyone got as dressed up as they wanted and brought all their families. We must have had about 20 couples and 200 or so people at the dinner. The minister made it a point to lay hands on each couple, pronounce them man and wife and then said the old line, "you may now kiss your bride". I know it might sound corny to some, but we absolutely loved doing it

Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
My husband and I are struggling and he wants us to renew our vows. I just don't feel right doing that since I think, without any work, he just thinks it will fix everything.
I see it as a celebration of your vows...I'm not quite ready to celebrate...
I'm sorry

Old 10-09-2008, 02:52 PM

So far this the only thing I know is that I would like it to be outside somewhere since we don't do church. I know at some point I want to dance to "You're Still the One." Very cheesey song but it explains exactly how I feel.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:12 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
My parents have a huge estate so we actually did it in their back yard infront of the waterfall pond. We had round tables lining the grass with the traditional settings. We used an arch, decorated in my colors with flowers and tooling to recite our vows under. We have a little one so we did a ring exchange with her as well within the ceremony. The great thing about a vow renewal is you can do whatever you want.....if you want it to be fancy you can do that...if you want it to be more casual you can do that to....almost anything goes except...you, of course, don't register or in any way request gifts.....

Old 10-10-2008, 01:11 AM

20 posts, read 150,939 times
We were married in a small ceremony in 1988. In 2005 she wanted to get remarried in the church, so we did.
Shortly after that, she started seeing her high school boyfriend and then another guy before leaving me in 2006.
The second wedding was OK, it was the first one I should have skipped.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
I know of someone who had a vowel removal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings