Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:21 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times

Advertisements

I placed an order in January for a bridesmaid dress for my sister-in-law's wedding in July. I gave the bridal salon (I'm all the way across the country) my measurements over the phone and was told I would be ordered a dress according to my measurements. Fine. I've been a bridesmaid 3 times (2 of which were last summer) and always went with my measurements. Well, I tried on the dress and it doesn't fit! I can't even get it zipped past my hips. I called the bridal shop on Monday and they assured me they ordered the dress according to my measurements and it was the correct size (even though it's a size smaller than all the other dresses I have ever worn in a wedding, including my own). When I asked what I could do, she suggested getting the dress altered, as it should fit. However, I know that making a dress larger is more expensive than taking in. I asked her if I could return the dress and order the next size up. She told me that she couldn't return the dress and if I were to order the next size they would have to add $35 to the already $200 dress for a rush order.

Well, after researching the dress maker online and finding the size chart, it is clear that I was ordered the wrong size dress. All of my measurements, with the exception of the bust, are exactly the same as the next size up from the dress I was ordered. I even had my mother-in-law go to the shop to see the size chart they used, which clearly showed the same measurements I found online. When my MIL questioned the owner, she stated that the dress maker says the measurements are body measurements and not garment measurements. They claim the dress is actually 1.5-2" larger than the body measurements. I looked this up also and found this statement, "The following measurements are BODY measurements. Garment measurements are 1.5" - 2" larger to allow 'Room to breathe and move' EXCEPT in the case of strapless bodices." The owner claims that because of this, the dress should fit. So basically she is saying that the dress will fit but I won't be able to breathe or move!!! Oh, and actually this isn't even correct because it's a strapless bodice.

After I learned this information from my MIL, I attempted to contact the store owner. I was told she was on vacation! What bridal shop owner goes on vacation during the height of wedding season?!?!? So, I asked to talk with the manager on duty, but the manager was "busy" and would call me back, which they never did! I was told the owner would be back in town Monday afternoon and I should hear from her then. At this point I went ahead and filed a complaint with the BBB. I am asking for the company to rush order me a new dress in the correct size and pay the cost, including the rush order. Am I being reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
You are being reasonable but it probably won't get you anywhere. The BBB doesn't do anything regarding enforcing complaints - it basically just records them for your observation. The store has pretty much already indicated they are not interested in making things work for you. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:27 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,349 times
Sounds reasonable to me. Realistic compliance, well...good luck! Good Luck!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You are being reasonable but it probably won't get you anywhere. The BBB doesn't do anything regarding enforcing complaints - it basically just records them for your observation. The store has pretty much already indicated they are not interested in making things work for you. Good luck.
The store is located in a pretty small town, so I'm hoping that the shop won't want a complaint on record. We'll see if it will get me anywhere. I am willing to take this to small claims court if I have to. I just don't know any bridal salon that would order a smaller size dress than measurements unless I specifically asked for it.

I am really beginning to hate the whole wedding industry. I can assure you I will never agree to be a bridesmaid again!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:00 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
I think if I were planning a wedding.....I would find a local (non-commercial) dress maker and go with patterns from a fabric shop. It seems so many wedding business' out there don't care that they are messing up the most special day for a new bride and just adding to the stress. They don't deserve your money....or your dreams.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think if I were planning a wedding.....I would find a local (non-commercial) dress maker and go with patterns from a fabric shop. It seems so many wedding business' out there don't care that they are messing up the most special day for a new bride and just adding to the stress. They don't deserve your money....or your dreams.
If I had to do it all over again this is the approach I would take as well. Fortunately for me, my wedding went very well. I used an excellent bridal salon and they were very caring. My sister-in-law's wedding on the other hand has been one disaster after another. I just noticed that have the wrong wedding date on the tag and receipt that came with the dress. I told the bride she better get that changed asap, or she may not have a dress or tuxes ready for the wedding day!

Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Wait wait wait...

So long story short they asked for your BODY measurements and then THEY picked the wrong size to make because they did not follow the 1''-2'' rule?And they want YOU to pay for this?

I would ask it just like that..is that really what happened?

Well..there is always seaweed wraps and the raw food diet!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Save yourself some aggrivation and just take it to a local bridal shop and have them take care of the problem . You will be much happier in the long run . I wish you good luck and hope the stress does not get to you too badly .

Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Wait wait wait...

So long story short they asked for your BODY measurements and then THEY picked the wrong size to make because they did not follow the 1''-2'' rule?And they want YOU to pay for this?

I would ask it just like that..is that really what happened?

Well..there is always seaweed wraps and the raw food diet!
That is exactly what happened! Basically, they screwed up, someone made a mistake, and now I am supposed to pay to have the dress altered to fit me. If they would have just ordered the correct size (it was exactly my measurements except for the bust) then I would have to have very minimal done for the dress to fit exactly. I have always had the bust altered and it costs around $25-$50. But, know the local seamstress will have to rip the entire dress apart and put it back together. This is going to cost close to what I paid for the dress!

LOL on the diet part! I love food too much!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:26 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Agreed. I contacted the BBB on a dental company that botched up some dental work, and the BBB did NOTHING. I agree with another post that suggests you take it to another bridal shop to get it fixed. Also, spread the word to others in your area about the bad service you received. Word of mouth can really help a business, or protect other consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings