Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Former Nets forward and newly-acquired San Antonio Spur Richard Jefferson canceled his $2 million wedding over the weekend at the last minute, effectively leaving his fiance, former Nets dancer Kesha Ni'Cole Nichols, at the altar.
The New York Post is reporting that Jefferson got cold feet late last week and seems to have ended the relationship. However, Jefferson waited so long to tell those close to him that some of the guests had already shown up in Manhattan on Saturday for the wedding.
Jefferson was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks last offseason by the Nets, the team with which he spent the first seven years of his career. In June, Jefferson was traded to the Spurs.
Former NJ Nets forward Richard Jefferson leaves bride at altar - New Jersey Nets Basketball - NJ.com

This is more relationship than basketball related.

The wedding was $2 million dollars! But they are saying that his girl was a gold digger. I think they've been together for at least 2 years. He actually gave her some money for breaking the wedding off.

There have been rumors that he has some skeletons in his closet (actually the rumor is he's in there with them) and that might be one of the reasons behind his 'cold feet'.

Do you think there's more to the story for him to call off a $2m wedding (via email, nonetheless) less than one week before it goes down?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
Smart and dumb......

Dumb for spending that much money because you can

Smart for being honest with himself about not wanting to get married, even at the last minute.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:08 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
He got to thinking about alllllllllllllllllllllllllll that alimony and community property and it was just too much.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 AM

551 posts, read 1,924,371 times
Or maybe he's ready to bust out of the closet?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Not having the vaguest idea about either one, I can't even begin to speculate about the reasons. Anybody who'd call off a wedding via an e-mail, though, is a lowlife in my book.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:31 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not having the vaguest idea about either one, I can't even begin to speculate about the reasons. Anybody who'd call off a wedding via an e-mail, though, is a lowlife in my book.
Exactly- They kissed goodbye, she got on a plane, and while she was in the air, he left it, so that when she deplaned ( that word kills me) it was in her inbox. They talked about it for 2 hours afterwards. I think it was a punk way to go out.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:47 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
1. He shouldnt have gotten engaged in the first place.

2. He should not have spent 2 million on a wedding.

3. They say he gave her a six figure check for her suffering. He should not have done that either.

He's stupid all the way around on this one.

Remember the good old days when it was football players and NASCAR drivers who were the stupid uneducated "athletes"? Now I think basketball players have overtaken them as the worlds dumbest.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,141 times
It was a b*tcha*ss move in my opinion. As the previous poster stated, the dude waited until she landed in NJ to email her. What a coward. Why not just tell her to her face. Its not he just all of a sudden, 'O, I don't want to get married'. He even admitted that he had been thinking about it.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
1. He shouldnt have gotten engaged in the first place.

2. He should not have spent 2 million on a wedding.

3. They say he gave her a six figure check for her suffering. He should not have done that either.

He's stupid all the way around on this one.

Remember the good old days when it was football players and NASCAR drivers who were the stupid uneducated "athletes"? Now I think basketball players have overtaken them as the worlds dumbest.
You're right on all counts..........except one. Ultimately, by not getting married, Jefferson made a very, very smart move. He paid out, sure, but he would have paid out a helluva lot more in a divorce.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Maybe she wouldnt sign a pre-nup. I think it was Dikeme Motumbo who also cancelled a wedding at the last minute cause she wouldnt sign. He paid for the party, but walked away with his money. I would never get married during my career if I was an athlete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings