Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times

Advertisements

Being from the South I have been to a lot of huge weddings. I have been a bridesmaid 8 times so far, and the largest wedding had 15 bridesmaids, 300 guests, and at least 600 at the reception. The honeymoon was a trip to Austria paid for by the groom's parents. It was a wedding I will never forget. Also, the bridesmaids did not count the junior bridesmaids and flower girls...kind of ridiculous and wasteful, but it wasn't my money so..

When and if I get married, I want simplicity..me, the groom, a preacher, and the outdoors..beach probably. Also, I would want my family which would make it not real tiny, but I don't want anything huge and fancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I attended a wedding about 15 years ago that had 500 people. It was very grand and I did not have a good time at all. The food was over the top and I did not like any of it. Hubby and I ended up hitting BK on the way home because we were starving! I heard the wedding cost 150 grand. The bride came from a very wealthy family. We knew the groom and he was the biggest jerk I had ever met. 6 months later the couple got a divorce. The groom started an affair with an flight attendant when on one of his business trips. He contracted warts and gave that to his bride as a parting gift. Like I said, he is a jerk.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
The largest one I ever had the displeasure of attending was my Aunts. Nobody in the family really likes her and we avoid her as much as possible. It was her second wedding, in.... 2003 I believe. There were AT LEAST 500 people there, more at the reception. And it was dry. And vegetarian.

My dad brought a mini bbq and a few handles of liquor, though. We had our own private reception in the parking lot We actually met quite a few cool people because we had the liquor and meat. Turns out, she had invited EVERY ex boyfriend she had dated since high school, plus all her ex coworkers, and pretty much anyone else she had met in the past 15 years. Ridiculous.

They're still married and have two really creepy children. For my wedding, it's going to be simple, short and have less than 30 people there. Period.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
550 at mine. If I had to do it all over again (Assuming I have sayso), we would have eloped.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I was the 4th bridesmaid. The maid of honor had slept with the groom and the bride had just found out about it. Fun wedding!
Sounds like he was working his way down the line and would have gotten to you eventually if she didn't find out.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Ive been a bridesmaid for a friend of mines wedding once, she had a huge family and tons for friends so there probably were about 5 of us and her maid-of-honour. But its probably a tie for some wedding receptions where hundreds of people have shown up too, and our band played. Even an elderly couple got up and bounced around when we did 'Big 10 Inch'!

Those of you who have never heard the song, here it is....you can see why its a hit no matter what venue.
Its not us but you get the picture....its one of those that you wanna say 'if you cant dance to this one, you cant dance!

YouTube - Aerosmith - Big Ten Inch Record live Boston

Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Oh great, now I have that song stuck in my head and Im gonna go to work bouncing around to the music, lol.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:11 PM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
I attended a wedding with approximately 600 guests. The bride's father owned several hospitals, so they were extremely wealthy...they spared no expense. The bride told me that she onnly knew about 20 people, including her family members!

Having said that, it was one of the most beautiful, lavish weddings I've ever been to.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I've been to a few small weddings with only a couple of dozen people at the most (I was the best man at two of them) but I guess the largest one was my nephew's wedding a couple of years ago. It wasn't all that large, I would guess maybe 150 or so. If I was going to get married I think I'd prefer a very small wedding because I'd be a nervous wreck and if I did something like faint or vomit I wouldn't want too many witnesses to be there to observe the proceedings.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
The largest Wedding that I had been a part of was My Brother's Wedding in 1997, I was a Groomsman. My Brother and His Wife invited over 250 People,they didn't know half the People(they just wanted a large attendence). My Brother Married into a Wealthy Family and the Father-in-law paid for everything including Honeymoon(to Walt Disney World at the Grand Floridian for a week). My wrist got sore having to shake so many hands!
I get invited to weddings but I never go... I rather go to a funeral. Seriously.

Ecclesiastes 7:2 It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings