Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 PM

13 posts, read 59,712 times

Advertisements

any ideas total cost (gas, tolls, etc, ) for driving a car from NYC or Boston to West Palm ?

Also any suggestions on good places / cities to stop along the way down 95 ?

Any tips or thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:35 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Smile Buy A GPS

If you do not have one already...buy a GPS...perhaps the best investment you can make for a long car trip......it gives you much more than directions...ie-hotels, gas stations, traffic detours, hospitals, distance traveled, distance to go, estimated time left on trip, etc...the best investment you can make...

When I was much younger......I made the trip from NY to Fort Lauderdale several times a year to visit...I drove straight down 95 with no delays other than traffic..as far as gas...it was less than a dollar a gallon then......but the formula is still basically the same...divide the estimated total miles to be driven...by how many miles you get to the gallon...and multiply by $4 a gallon and that will give you a rough estimate as to your gas bill...tolls is another story...but I am sure they went up...my GPS lists all the toll roads and bridges on my trip...but does not give me how much they charge...I am sure the newer ones do the same...

Old 09-21-2011, 04:16 AM

134 posts, read 282,638 times
I do this often. The cost depends on the route, which depends on how much time you have.

1. EXPENSIVE: I like to take I95 to Mystic CT and then take the Cross-Sound Ferry to Orient Point NY, then the Long Island Expressway to Sagtikos, south to Southern State / Belt Parkway/ across the Verazanno Bridge towards Staten Island / towards the Jersey Turnpike/ I95 to WPB. This method could cost $125.00, mostly TOLLS, not counting gas, and the ferry charges for each passenger. I like this because I can avoid most of Connecticut and NYC traffic, though the LIE has heavy traffic.
2. I mapped out a plan that I have not taken, but will do so in the future. That is to take the Mass Pike west towards Albany NY, then south, crossing the Tappen Zee Bridge into New Jersey, then south on the Jersey Turnpike /I95 to WPB. I do not have a map in front of me, but this is the general idea. There may be fewer tolls this way, but more miles. Take a look at a map and see if this helps. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 AM

163 posts, read 449,919 times
When you are leaving Georgia and see the "Welcome to Florida" sign, dont get your hopes up. Jacksonville is still 30 minutes away, West Palm Beach is another 5 or so and Miami is 6.5.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Cool Forgot That Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman_Cometh View Post
When you are leaving Georgia and see the "Welcome to Florida" sign, dont get your hopes up. Jacksonville is still 30 minutes away, West Palm Beach is another 5 or so and Miami is 6.5.
If that ain't the truth, you make it to Florida and say WOW we are here only to find out you have another whole day of driving in front of you...

Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscaddie View Post
any ideas total cost (gas, tolls, etc, ) for driving a car from NYC or Boston to West Palm ?

Also any suggestions on good places / cities to stop along the way down 95 ?

Any tips or thoughts appreciated.
Not much actually on I-95 but small detours will get you to Charleston,Savannah, St Augustine where much historical venues await.
Depends on how long you want to make the drive,kids? pets? interests.time of year.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM

21 posts, read 47,501 times
Last time I took: 84->81->77->95. More relaxing ride, not as many tolls, 2 hours longer.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:36 PM

25 posts, read 78,838 times
I always find as soon as i cross the Georgia/Florida border the Temp go's up 5% .I always stop at the welcome center for a free orange juice and a new free Fl state map.I love the feeling.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 12,577 times
Check your PMs.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
There are a couple sites that you can put in your car make and trip details and it will estimate the gas cost. The tolls I'm not sure. Don't forget to factor hotel stay as well. I have driven from up north and also had my car shipped. Shipping is the way to go in my opinion unless you plan on site seeing along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach