Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM

513 posts, read 961,904 times

Advertisements

Riveria Beach = { Sound of Bass/Spanish Rap Music coming from lowryder } then { Sounds of Gunfire }
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 01:58 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
Of course I meant everywhere in the country and not just Palm Beach County, I would have have hoped that would have been self-evident....and I have no desire to turn this into a "this place vs. that place" contest. I will, however, state a comparison between Huntsville and WPB is much more valid than any of the other towns you mentioned, due to both size and varied demographic/socio-economic makeup, although WPB still only has half the population of Huntsville. Fort Lauderdale is closer in population, but still lower. WPB far outstrips Huntsville in violent crimes per capita, and Ft. Lauderdale manages to outpace us for thefts of various sorts. Every place (nationwide, not just in SoFla) has is pluses and minuses. And like WPB, where 50% of the crime occurs in one area of the city (*cough*Tamarind*cough*), most of Huntsville's non-auto-theft-related crimes are likewise limited to an isolated area.

Singer Island's condos are, indeed, nice places to live if you want that lifestyle...and don't mind driving a ways to go grocery shopping (assuming Grator Gator can't fill all your needs). Until a hurricane is approaching, anyway LOL (and, yeah, we get tornadoes so it all evens out, right?).
WPB's population is half of Huntsville's when you count only those located within the city limits, which is very misleading. Using the same methodology, Nashville and Jacksonville are much bigger than Atlanta and Miami -- which we all know isn't the case.

When you make a more accurate comparison using metro populations, WPB is much larger than Huntsville.

I'm from Tennessee and I've spent plenty of time in Northern Alabama. Huntsville is no utopia. There are nowhere near as many nice areas there as there are in PBC, and the ghettos are just as bad. Remember Antoine Dodson???

Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 PM

26 posts, read 74,090 times
I wonder about West 4th Street in Riviera Beach. My son is thinking of buying a house there.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM

45 posts, read 85,514 times
Lot of threads about Riviera lately.

Definitely a South Florida-type ghetto (though not an old "urban-styled" ghetto really--the architecture is newer; think 50s to 70s, smaller, suburban housing turned into a ghetto, with some recent attempts to put in new budget smaller houses and townhouses, etc. in areas that used to be fields and that would appeal to the crowd attracted to McMansions), but in my opinion, that doesn't mean that it's necessarily out of the question. It just depends with how uncomfortable you are in ghettos. Most people posting on sites like this aren't even comfortable to drive through them, as is made clear by quite a few folks above. I've lived in ghettos, however, and even when I didn't live in them I've had tons of friends and even a couple long-term girlfriends who lived in ghettos. So I'm not uncomfortable with it at all, and in fact, I'd much rather live in a ghetto than some yuppieville, a gated community, etc. But make no mistake that Riviera is a ghetto.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Riveria Beach = { Sound of Bass/Spanish Rap Music coming from lowryder } then { Sounds of Gunfire }
That's sounds more like parts of Lake Worth. Not alot of Hispanics in Rivera Beach.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM

513 posts, read 961,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettoarbeit View Post
Lot of threads about Riviera lately.

Definitely a South Florida-type ghetto (though not an old "urban-styled" ghetto really--the architecture is newer; think 50s to 70s, smaller, suburban housing turned into a ghetto, with some recent attempts to put in new budget smaller houses and townhouses, etc. in areas that used to be fields and that would appeal to the crowd attracted to McMansions), but in my opinion, that doesn't mean that it's necessarily out of the question. It just depends with how uncomfortable you are in ghettos. Most people posting on sites like this aren't even comfortable to drive through them, as is made clear by quite a few folks above. I've lived in ghettos, however, and even when I didn't live in them I've had tons of friends and even a couple long-term girlfriends who lived in ghettos. So I'm not uncomfortable with it at all, and in fact, I'd much rather live in a ghetto than some yuppieville, a gated community, etc. But make no mistake that Riviera is a ghetto.

"I'd much rather live in a ghetto than some yuppieville, a gated community, etc."

LMAO thanks for the laugh. Yes, everyone wants to live in a dangerous part of towon -section 8 apartment/broken down homes instead of in a gated community in a safe location, pools/tennis, newer house.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,404 times
What about Thousand Oaks or Villa Rosa? it is safe to live there?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:40 AM

33 posts, read 109,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
WPB's population is half of Huntsville's when you count only those located within the city limits, which is very misleading. Using the same methodology, Nashville and Jacksonville are much bigger than Atlanta and Miami -- which we all know isn't the case.

When you make a more accurate comparison using metro populations, WPB is much larger than Huntsville.

I'm from Tennessee and I've spent plenty of time in Northern Alabama. Huntsville is no utopia. There are nowhere near as many nice areas there as there are in PBC, and the ghettos are just as bad. Remember Antoine Dodson???
You know, you're absolutely right! While the city of West Palm Beach proper may be 100k people, Palm Beach County is 1.3 Million people, making it the 3rd most populous in Florida after Dade and Broward respectively. Take Tallahassee for example, by city proper population one would think that that was a larger city than West Palm Beach, but it really isn't. It's nowhere near as dense, doesent have the infrastructure or stability West Palm's does, which is designed for a much larger population. Orlando (and Jacksonville) is another good example. While it's city proper is a large population, Orlando is very country like and nowhere near as dense as the West Palm Beach area, which is more similar to Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

The Bay area on the west coast of Florida is a very dense area like South Florida as well, but is divided by Pinellas and Hillsborough county, both of which are smaller than Palm Beach, Broward and Dade.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,289 times
We live in Thousand Oaks, Riviera Beach and think it's great. Sure there are some not so great areas in Riviera Beach but I think most cities and towns have the same situation. Don't tar a large area with the same brush. With Florida's ridiculously low minimum wage working people have to live somewhere.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM

224 posts, read 321,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
"I'd much rather live in a ghetto than some yuppieville, a gated community, etc."

LMAO thanks for the laugh. Yes, everyone wants to live in a dangerous part of towon -section 8 apartment/broken down homes instead of in a gated community in a safe location, pools/tennis, newer house.
the latter sounds boring and pretentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach