Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 07:28 PM

26 posts, read 178,940 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out if our son would get a better education in the Jupiter public school system or a pbc private school (cardinal newman, kings academy, berean, st. ann's, rosarian, etc...)

He's only 2.5 but we are trying to decide long term whether we want to move to Jupiter or stay in West Palm Beach. Staying in our current home gives us a low enough mortgage to afford 10k a year for private. But if we move to Jupiter our new mortgage/taxes won't allow for private school expenses.

I would appreciate anyone who has input on these two options. Especially if you are an educator at one of these schools or have children in them now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 AM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times
That's a real toss up. I think the Jupiter public schools are decent. If I'd stayed in Jupiter, I would have sent my kids to public. However, when you are paying for private, I think you get better results in some instances. I have a friend who's a first grade teacher at Rosarian and really likes it. She sent her own daughter there. I taught at Academy of the Palm Beaches (I believe it's now a part of Palm Beach Day School) and I thought their pre-school was great. My cousin attended Palm Beach Day School from kindergarten through high school and now attends Benjamin. It appears that he got a very good education. Good Luck--making this decision is stressful. If you like where you live, stay and just put your child in private school. You might move to Jupiter and hate it.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 AM

548 posts, read 540,522 times
Both are fine options, it all depends on where you want to live.

The bottom line is that in today's world, parents have to be all over the kid's education, top school or not. There are lots of pressures, bullies, dating, teachers pushing political positions. Every school has weaknesses in their curriculum. Some don't teach creative thinking which leaves kids with good academics but lousy real world employable skills.

Us parents need to realize that moving to a decent school district is a step, but a small step in insuring good education. The rest is up to us. Unemployed bums can come from the best school systems, some doctors come from the worst. The parents are the deciding factors.

Either Jupiter public or WPB private are fine starting points, but thats all they are.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 9,496 times
Default I am a PBC Teacher!

My feeling is this....I think the Public schools are not the best...but Florida in general is not known for quality schools. I agree with the gentlemen who said it is the parents tenacity with their child's education that will make the difference. I have my Master's degree in Education and when my husband and I plan on having kids we are talking about moving to Jupiter BECAUSE the schools are a little better than South County. Also, Just a side not on Private Schools....I don't believe your child will necessarily get a better education. Just to let you know, most private schools do not REQUIRE a teacher license to work there!! To me, that is scary!!! The pay is also lower than public schools, so you will not be getting top notch teachers for the most part(sad to say, but people need to make a living). I hope this helps a little! My husband and I were just having this discussion last night!!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 AM

548 posts, read 540,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodamicky View Post
My feeling is this....I think the Public schools are not the best...but Florida in general is not known for quality schools. I agree with the gentlemen who said it is the parents tenacity with their child's education that will make the difference. I have my Master's degree in Education and when my husband and I plan on having kids we are talking about moving to Jupiter BECAUSE the schools are a little better than South County. Also, Just a side not on Private Schools....I don't believe your child will necessarily get a better education. Just to let you know, most private schools do not REQUIRE a teacher license to work there!! To me, that is scary!!! The pay is also lower than public schools, so you will not be getting top notch teachers for the most part(sad to say, but people need to make a living). I hope this helps a little! My husband and I were just having this discussion last night!!
I am leery of many private schools, they have an agenda...politically, religiously. I want my kids to be open minded and learn all sides, then they can decide what to believe as adults. I never got the thing that because great Grandma was a certain religion or certain political persuasion, it had to be a mandate for everyone in every generation. We are individuals.

As a employer I have seen too many private school kids with decent book smarts but no common sense or creativity. Private schools are no substitution for a very involved parent.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM

26 posts, read 178,940 times
Thanks for everyone's input. Basically, if we can't sell our home in wpb, we have no choice BUT to do private schools, so it may be decided for us. I have toured a few and so far the Rosarian Academy is our #1 choice, but we have more to see. The master plan is still to move to Jupiter, but the housing market may not let us make that decision any time soon! Any more input from anyone would be much appreciated.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 9,252 times
Hello!
I about to finish my first year teaching Spanish at a public high school in a Pennsylvania suburb. I am considering moving to Lake Worth (where I have a home, friends and family). Do you have any suggestions as far a public schools where I can teach?
BTW, I am a native speaker of Spanish.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
From all our 'research' and discussing with those in Jupiter with kids, Jupiter publics sound VERY decent. I just don't like the price of homes there (so $$$) and rentals too.

It is a beautiful area though. At least the public schools are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach