Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmy3grls View Post
Hate to tell you this, but my husband (with an MBA) has been trying to get a job for over one year, and we decided even with a GREAT job, makin $80,000. we still can't afford to live here like we want to. We are relocating up to St Augustine when school ends this year. Companies NEVER called him back, even when they said they would. Very difficult finding work!!!
My wife and I make like $60k but there is absolutely no way we can buy anything... well, maybe we can buy, but our next door neightbor would be a landfill or a crackhouse. NO way we can buy anything in FL anymore, it sucks.

Very hard to get a job here because the surplus of people moving down to FL + the over estimated 200,000 illegal aliens in the Central Florida area take up all the work. Companies are ABUSING it to lowball workers on wages and to treat workers like crap, knowing "you either work here and deal with it or go work for Taco Bell".

All the jobs you hear they are creating in FL are $7.00/h jobs in hotels or at Disney, do not be misled!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 07:20 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
My wife and I make like $60k but there is absolutely no way we can buy anything... well, maybe we can buy, but our next door neightbor would be a landfill or a crackhouse. NO way we can buy anything in FL anymore, it sucks.

Very hard to get a job here because the surplus of people moving down to FL + the over estimated 200,000 illegal aliens in the Central Florida area take up all the work. Companies are ABUSING it to lowball workers on wages and to treat workers like crap, knowing "you either work here and deal with it or go work for Taco Bell".

All the jobs you hear they are creating in FL are $7.00/h jobs in hotels or at Disney, do not be misled!
Not in Northwest Florida, companies are looking for 100 aircraft mechanics and the hourly rate is $21.00 to $25.00 per hour plus benefits. WE have many families in our area with $45K yearly income and they make it just fine. Our housing market is cheaper, cost of living is cheaper, and if you look you can find a job.

Are you done posting? You make the comment two days ago of no more posting and you have not stop. Are you going to honor your statement?

Old 12-01-2006, 07:21 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottysofpdl View Post
Sunrico90,

Yes, I think you are somewhat correct. My masters has closed some doors that were previously open. There are jobs out there, however, the pay is simply not what I'm looking for. One non-profit gave me my choice of two different positions, but the pay ($30,000) was unacceptable. It is the only job offer I have had in over a year. Often, when I tell people my minimum salary requirements (which are certainly not unreasonable) I never hear back from them. I imagine at some point I may have to lower my standards, commute further than I want to, or move to an area where there are more/higher paying jobs.

I do agree with the posters who've stated that a college degree is not worth what it once was. It's simply a matter of supply and demand.

Anyways, thanks for your help and I will PM you.

God bless,
Phil
I am with you, Phil. I am qualified, 28 years old, lots of fun at work, and always get the job done. It is the salary part that is killing. People are offering $18k a year for a legal professional with a degree... I tell them to burn in hell with all their money they will save. I rather not work than be enslaved. These wages amount to "legalized slavery". (James 5:1-5)

James 5

1Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. 2Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence.

LOTS of employers in FL.... take heed.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:37 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
Let's not forget that employers are not helping much when they also give preference to bilingual speaking applicants, Spanish speaking. I had work and good paying jobs when in Tampa Bay, however, I am now also one of the unemployed. Definitely do not come to Ft. Myers seeking employment. They do not call it Fort Misery for nothing.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:37 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
[quote=Christian11;187752]I am with you, Phil. I am qualified, 28 years old, lots of fun at work, and always get the job done. It is the salary part that is killing. People are offering $18k a year for a legal professional with a degree... I tell them to burn in hell with all their money they will save. I rather not work than be enslaved. These wages amount to "legalized slavery". (James 5:1-5)

Again is up to the person to move forward to diversify the skills. The median salary in Orlando is not bad, but you got to get in and move up. If your skill is not in demand you have to do what you must to survive. Many People that make $20K per year are forced to work 2 jobs, now this is reality.

The median expected salary for a typical Accountant I in Florida -- Orlando, is $39,123.

The median expected salary for a typical Aerospace Engineer I in Florida -- Orlando, is $51,269.

The median expected salary for a typical Attorney I in Florida -- Orlando, is $80,856.

The median expected salary for a typical Academic - Instructor in Florida -- Orlando, is $76,298.

The median expected salary for a typical Assoc. Professor - Computer Science - Higher Ed. in Florida -- Orlando, is $68,614.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
What do you mean by get in and move up?

You can't work two jobs and further your degree. Plus, the more degrees you have the less they want to hire you. Face it, these folks are looking to pay as little as possible and people are getting sick of it and leaving.

Plain and simple.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
Let's not forget that employers are not helping much when they also give preference to bilingual speaking applicants, Spanish speaking. I had work and good paying jobs when in Tampa Bay, however, I am now also one of the unemployed. Definitely do not come to Ft. Myers seeking employment. They do not call it Fort Misery for nothing.
My wife's friend moved to Ft Misery and got a government job. She was then fired two weeks later because she was not bilingual in Espanol. It was not even part of the job requirements, but they said it was "dept policy".

Dude, get out of Ft Misery ASAP.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:57 PM

[quote=sunrico90;187784]
Quote:
I am with you, Phil. I am qualified, 28 years old, lots of fun at work, and always get the job done. It is the salary part that is killing. People are offering $18k a year for a legal professional with a degree... I tell them to burn in hell with all their money they will save. I rather not work than be enslaved. These wages amount to "legalized slavery". (James 5:1-5)

Again is up to the person to move forward to diversify the skills. The median salary in Orlando is not bad, but you got to get in and move up. If your skill is not in demand you have to do what you must to survive. Many People that make $20K per year are forced to work 2 jobs, now this is reality.

The median expected salary for a typical Accountant I in Florida -- Orlando, is $39,123.

The median expected salary for a typical Aerospace Engineer I in Florida -- Orlando, is $51,269.

The median expected salary for a typical Attorney I in Florida -- Orlando, is $80,856.

The median expected salary for a typical Academic - Instructor in Florida -- Orlando, is $76,298.

The median expected salary for a typical Assoc. Professor - Computer Science - Higher Ed. in Florida -- Orlando, is $68,614.

TRY to get an employer to pay a "medium wage". Looks good on paper, but go to CareerBuilder.com and see if you can find these jobs paying all that.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Not in Northwest Florida, companies are looking for 100 aircraft mechanics and the hourly rate is $21.00 to $25.00 per hour plus benefits. WE have many families in our area with $45K yearly income and they make it just fine. Our housing market is cheaper, cost of living is cheaper, and if you look you can find a job.

Are you done posting? You make the comment two days ago of no more posting and you have not stop. Are you going to honor your statement?
Maybe I should move to NE FL instead of NC.

$45k in Orlando Metro (the including the sourrounding areas too) will get you a very mediocre lifestyle. No way you can buy anything and you will have to have roommates.

What part of NE FL are we talking here? I still have time to chnage my plans to move to NC. I am definitely out of this area though. I can't wait.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:35 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Quote:
Maybe I should move to NE FL instead of NC.

$45k in Orlando Metro (the including the sourrounding areas too) will get you a very mediocre lifestyle. No way you can buy anything and you will have to have roommates.

What part of NE FL are we talking here? I still have time to chnage my plans to move to NC. I am definitely out of this area though. I can't wait.
The thing is, Chris, if you ask my daughter in OH (family of 4) if she could live very comfortably on 45k, she'd say, "No." and if you asked my brother in SC (also family of 4) if he could live very comfortably on 45k, he'd tell you "No" also. It isn't just a FL problem. The war on the middle class is a national problem.
It's nice to be able to come on this forum and vent, but then we all have to take the time to vent to the right people. And keep venting to them until something is done.
FL has it's problem--definitely, but very few of them are exclusive to FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach