Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 07:43 PM

17 posts, read 25,579 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a 45yo male, single father who is a licensed therapist who specializes in autism and ADHD. I am considering a move to FL in two years when my son is finished school. My biggest concern is where I would be able to generate the most business as a newcomer.

Currently I live in Philadelphia where I am a small fish in a very large pond. Philadelphia probably has the most mental health professionals per square mile of anywhere aside from NY and LA. I can make a living here but it's not easy and I have always enjoyed Florida.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the Boca/Broward area vs. Orlando area. Here are some of my initial thoughts which could be wrong:

Boca/Broward area pros
-I think I'd feel comfortable there as there is a large Jewish community in the area (I'm Jewish)
-I like the eastern side of Broward, never have been to the western part of the county
-There's a large, affluent and educated population who are my client demographic.
-I think I would be able to develop a social life there as would my son
-I would constantly be at the beach

Boca/Broward area cons
-Too many New Yorkers
-I've seen how bad the traffic can get
-My sense is that I would have to set up an office either in Coral Springs (don't want to live there, long commute from the eastern side of Broward) or Boca and could have a long commute if I lived somewhere like Hollywood or Wilton Manors.

Orlando pros
-Less professionals in the area with my specialization. I could "stand out" more.
-Cost of living is less
-It appears since I was last there 20 years ago there are more neighborhoods that feel like a small community you'd find in the Northeast.
-I like smaller, less densely populated places
-I get the sense that Orlando is an easier place to live

Orlando cons
-I don't know the demographics of the area yet so not sure where I'd feel comfortable living
-Think it would be harder to develop a social life and meet people I connect with
-No beach
Hello everyone,

I am a 45yo male, single father who is a licensed therapist who specializes in autism and ADHD. I am considering a move to FL in two years when my son is finished school. My biggest concern is where I would be able to generate good business.

Currently I live in Philadelphia where I am a small fish in a very large pond. Philadelphia probably has the most mental health professionals per square mile of anywhere aside from NY and LA. I can make a living here but it's not easy and I have always enjoyed Florida.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the Boca area vs. Orlando area. Here are some of my initial thoughts which could be wrong:

Boca area pros
-I think I'd feel comfortable there as there is a large Jewish community in the area (I'm Jewish)
-I like the eastern side of Broward, never have been to the western part of the county
-There's a large, affluent and educated population who are my client demographic.
-I think I would be able to develop a social life there as would my son
-I would constantly be at the beach

Boca area cons
-Too many New Yorkers
-I've seen how bad the traffic can get
-My sense is that I would have to set up an office either in Coral Springs (don't want to live there, long commute from the eastern side of Broward) or Boca and could have a long commute if I lived somehwere like Hollywood or Wilton Manors.

Orlando pros
-Less professionals in the area with my specialization. I could "stand out" more.
-Cost of living is less
-It seems like over the past 20 years Orlando has developed more of a neighborhood feel
-I like smaller, less densely populated places
-I get the sense that Orlando is an easier place to live

Orlando cons
-Orlando apppears overall more conservative, less progressive (not that anywhere in Florida is progressive compared to the Philadelphia area).
-I don't know the demographics of the area yet so not sure where I'd feel comfortable living
-Think it would be harder to develop a social life and meet people I connect with
-No beach
-I haven't spent time there like I have in Broward (will be going to Orlando this month).

Would love an feedback on my initial thoughts. Thanks for your help!

Would love an feedback on my initial thoughts. Thanks for your help!
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 09:32 PM

293 posts, read 499,922 times
I can tell you that you have Orlando pegged totally wrong. There is a very small affluent area of Orlando, about 10-12 % of the total population. The two good areas are Dr Phillips area and Windemere, both being very expensive because limited supply and a lot of demand because if you are affluent that is where you want to be.

Did you know Orlando AKA Bronx with Palm Trees is very heavy Hispanic population with the vast majority of the Hispanics Puerto Rican coming from NYC and Puerto Rico

Puerto Ricans will surpass Cubans in Florida by 2020, new report says | Blogs

Yes cost of living is less and for good reason, it is a lousy place to live. Orlando IMO has not developed and neighborhood or community feel. The traffic is far worse in Orlando area than in PBC. They are doing a lot of building as land is plentiful and cheap and the roads were in place before all the development causing crazy amounts of congestion.

Orlando is way more progressive and less conservative. Look at any voting results in past 20 years, very liberal area. To me that is a con that is is so left wing liberal, obviously to you that is a pro.

Now are you looking for a place to open your practice or a place where yo u would enjoy living, what is the #1 priority? either way does not sound like Orlando is something you would be happy with either way, best you spend some real time there in Orlando and not in or around the parks as a tourist to see the real Orlando.

Sounds to me like PBC would be more what you are looking for as you will find more younger families there. You have anywhere from Boca to Jupiter and most spots in between

Old 01-18-2017, 08:13 AM

134 posts, read 190,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVG_Steve View Post
I can tell you that you have Orlando pegged totally wrong. There is a very small affluent area of Orlando, about 10-12 % of the total population. The two good areas are Dr Phillips area and Windemere, both being very expensive because limited supply and a lot of demand because if you are affluent that is where you want to be.

Did you know Orlando AKA Bronx with Palm Trees is very heavy Hispanic population with the vast majority of the Hispanics Puerto Rican coming from NYC and Puerto Rico

Puerto Ricans will surpass Cubans in Florida by 2020, new report says | Blogs

Yes cost of living is less and for good reason, it is a lousy place to live. Orlando IMO has not developed and neighborhood or community feel. The traffic is far worse in Orlando area than in PBC. They are doing a lot of building as land is plentiful and cheap and the roads were in place before all the development causing crazy amounts of congestion.

Orlando is way more progressive and less conservative. Look at any voting results in past 20 years, very liberal area. To me that is a con that is is so left wing liberal, obviously to you that is a pro.

Now are you looking for a place to open your practice or a place where yo u would enjoy living, what is the #1 priority? either way does not sound like Orlando is something you would be happy with either way, best you spend some real time there in Orlando and not in or around the parks as a tourist to see the real Orlando.

Sounds to me like PBC would be more what you are looking for as you will find more younger families there. You have anywhere from Boca to Jupiter and most spots in between
EXACTLY CORRECT! I used to live in PBC and moved to Ormond Beach. I frequently have to go to Orlando and I will tell you the traffic is absolutely horrible and the drivers are maniacs on I4. It's a miserable place to live and so is Ormond. Port St. Lucie was horrible too. All of these places have lots of rednecks. Many of them drive jacked up pickup trucks and they delight in riding your bumper above the speed limit in the right lane. Avoid this area completely or you will be sorry.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
EXACTLY CORRECT! I used to live in PBC and moved to Ormond Beach. I frequently have to go to Orlando and I will tell you the traffic is absolutely horrible and the drivers are maniacs on I4. It's a miserable place to live and so is Ormond. Port St. Lucie was horrible too. All of these places have lots of rednecks. Many of them drive jacked up pickup trucks and they delight in riding your bumper above the speed limit in the right lane. Avoid this area completely or you will be sorry.
My oh, my: you seem to have more negatives to say than positives about everywhere? You don't like So Florida because the snobby New Yorkers as you put it, you have all kinds of problems with Orlando incluing Red Necks, you don't think NWA should be on any list except maybe a DO NOT go there one. Where would you have a positive feeling about? BTW, I have lived all over the country, from being raised in So.CA. to going to college in Colorado, living in the DC area and living in NM. Now, for 9 years we have lived in NWA. I would rather live among Red Necks that people with a bad attitude any day.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:26 PM

197 posts, read 199,488 times
South Florida will only get worse in terms of traffic, rude people and more third world immigrants flooding in-many are illegal. People I know are, or want to move north to get out of SoFla matrix. I would choose Central Florida in a nano second.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:03 AM

293 posts, read 499,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Intelligence View Post
South Florida will only get worse in terms of traffic, rude people and more third world immigrants flooding in-many are illegal. People I know are, or want to move north to get out of SoFla matrix. I would choose Central Florida in a nano second.
good luck , lets us know how your move to central Florida works out. To each their own I guess but I would never even consider Central Florida, awful place to live

Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
I vote Boca is the best fit for you.
Just in the way you describe yourself and others - it seems you're a "Boca" person.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 AM

233 posts, read 720,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I vote Boca is the best fit for you.
Just in the way you describe yourself and others - it seems you're a "Boca" person.
I agree that Boca sounds like a good fit for the OP.

But in general, if it's a choice of only Boca/Broward versus Orlando, I really don't think there is much of a choice.

I don't mean to trash Orlando, but I would never live there. I have friends that live there and always hear about the crushing traffic. The heat in summer is even hotter in Orlando than the southeast coast. And you got all those millions and millions of people going to see the mouse each and every year. I love Florida, but Orlando isn't somewhere I would ever consider living.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times
Orlando is just ... odd. It's built for tourists, not for communities. Not a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach