Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 PM

27 posts, read 72,584 times

Advertisements

It is my DREAM to live near the beach and I tried this in Oregon at Cannon Beach, but life there is way too difficult (super-expensive, constant gray skies/storms, isolation, and snooty rich people). I have decided to pursue my dream of being a seashell artist and since access to the beach 24/7 is what makes me happiest in life, I am focusing on Florida.

I am interested in Palm Beach Gardens and will be visiting there to check things out next week. I would like some honest input about things that are extremely important to me. They include the following:

* How bad is the economy there right now? Will it improve by 6 months time when I think I will be financially ready to move? I am a career receptionist at law firms/prof. offices - are there many opportunities for my field there?

* How easy or difficult it is to meet new friends (I am 40, female, and very much NOT interested in partying or meeting people in bars). Are there mostly old people there, young college party kids, or more single professionals? Also, being from Philly, are we generally welcome in PBG? Oregonians detest us, and I've heard lots of disparaging things said on this site about NY'ers moving to Florida - we aren't that far apart....(but I'm nice!)

* I have heard that crime is low, is this really true? Are there lots of homeless in PBG?

* THE MOST important thing - how difficult is it to get around without driving? I will mostly have access to a bike and feet when I get there till I can save for a car. I have heard that Palm Tran, the public transit system, is pretty bad and not reliable - any opinions?

* I know where I plan to live - at the Mira Flores Apts. near the Gardens Mall. Does anyone know anything or have an opinion about this property? It's an Equity property, so I am assuming it's great, but what's great in Oregon might not be great in Florida!

* Access to the beach - can I get there on foot from the Gardens Mall area? And how long might it take me?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:36 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,236 times
I did not see any homeless people in Palm Beach Gardens. They stay downtown.
Mira Flores is a nice place, by the mall. The only problem for you there, is lack of access to grocery stores that are close, unless you want to shop at Whole Foods all the time, pretty pricey.
It is too far to walk to the beach from Gardens mall. You can take the bus though, and take your bike on the bus. I think that the bus system is pretty good. You can take a bus from the mall, transfer at the VA hospital, and get to the beach, at Singer Island. I took the bus all the time. Never had any problems.
I would not know about working at a law office, but if you have skills, they would probably be transferable to working in a medical office, where there is always employment for people in West Palm Beach.
Meeting people, I lived there for a year, and met lots of people my age (45).

You know, after thinking about it, without a car, you would probably be better off living downtown. PBG is very spread out, and sort of rural. But downtown WPB is nice, with lots to do.
I joined the Red Cross to do volunteer work, and meet people, it was great. I would suggest that you do that.

Last edited by kek1993; 10-17-2009 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
I work in Palm Beach Gardens, it's a nice area but the economy in general is status quo sub par in Palm Beach County. I think you will find it very difficult to find a job at this time, so many people out of work. The only field that is doing good is health care.

You will have ton's of competition for receptionist jobs nor will the pay be sustainable to living in this area, unless your very frugal and live in a rented room. Salaries in that type of work are often min. wage.

You can bike around the area but in general you need a car here.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southphillyitaliana View Post
It is my DREAM to live near the beach and I tried this in Oregon at Cannon Beach,

* How bad is the economy there right now?

* How easy or difficult it is to meet new friends (I am 40, female, and very much NOT interested in partying or meeting people in bars). Are there mostly old people there, young college party kids, or more single
* I have heard that crime is low, is this really true? Are there lots of homeless in PBG?

* THE MOST important thing - how difficult is it to get around without driving?

* Access to the beach - can I get there on foot from the Gardens Mall area? And how long might it take me?

Thanks!!
We have a lot in common so I will give you my version of PBG.
I live in Juno, about 2 miles away from where you are considering.
I grew up in the Philly area and moved from there to Vermont(also
gray and rainy) and then here to care for an ill relative......
So, Cliff notes version from fellow artist / ex-Philly:

This is Stepford-Milquetoast-sterile area. If you are comfortable
with your surroundings being safe, uninspired-plastic and fake,
ala the dentists office waiting room, you wont have a problem.
Old City Philly this is not
The architecture is as stimulating as the latest episode of the
Khardshians.

Beach ---- Very nice beaches, -fabulous- nature close by

Job ---- Good luck. There is NO work here. If you are lucky enuff
to find it, you will be more educated and professional than your
manager, I will guarantee you. You will need to dumb yourself
down to survive. Count on making 1/2, yes, 1/2
less than you do in the Tri-State region.

Artist stuff ------- Not really. Im an artist and I go to Martin
County / Stuart for my work and culture / theatre stuff. Much
more Philly / New Hope, like But, Lake Worth is cool, it's only
a few miles away. West Palm has culture, but its a little too
canned or pre-fab for my tastes.

Transportation ----- Car kulture to the extreme !! Vicious,
mean, anti-ped-bike mindset. I commuted by bicycle for two years
and it was very scary sometimes...People hate peds and bikers
while driving. Very unfriendly to vulnerable users
As to be expected in car culture, public trans is lacking.
There are lanes and stuff for bicyclists though, just be very careful.
I ride everywhere from Martin to West Palm and have my safe
areas and methods. When you develop yours, you'll be OK

People ------- You'll meet the best and the worst. That goes
for any area though. The mentality here is very fakish and
consumption/ label oriented. A lot of "ME ME ME " mindset.
Expensive lifestyle accessories mean a lot to a lot of people here.
You will find very nice ppl though after you wade through the
nuevo riche Malldriods and Country Clubbers.

These are my opinions, not meant to offend.
Good luck in whatever you decide

Old 10-18-2009, 12:37 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,092 times
Quote:
It is my DREAM to live near the beach and I tried this in Oregon at Cannon Beach, but life there is way too difficult (super-expensive, constant gray skies/storms, isolation, and snooty rich people). I have decided to pursue my dream of being a seashell artist and since access to the beach 24/7 is what makes me happiest in life, I am focusing on Florida.

I am interested in Palm Beach Gardens and will be visiting there to check things out next week. I would like some honest input about things that are extremely important to me. They include the following:

* How bad is the economy there right now? Will it improve by 6 months time when I think I will be financially ready to move? I am a career receptionist at law firms/prof. offices - are there many opportunities for my field there?

* How easy or difficult it is to meet new friends (I am 40, female, and very much NOT interested in partying or meeting people in bars). Are there mostly old people there, young college party kids, or more single professionals? Also, being from Philly, are we generally welcome in PBG? Oregonians detest us, and I've heard lots of disparaging things said on this site about NY'ers moving to Florida - we aren't that far apart....(but I'm nice!)

* THE MOST important thing - how difficult is it to get around without driving? I will mostly have access to a bike and feet when I get there till I can save for a car. I have heard that Palm Tran, the public transit system, is pretty bad and not reliable - any opinions?

* I know where I plan to live - at the Mira Flores Apts. near the Gardens Mall. Does anyone know anything or have an opinion about this property? It's an Equity property, so I am assuming it's great, but what's great in Oregon might not be great in Florida!

Thanks!!
Mira Flores Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Palm Beach Gdns apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
I can tell you that good friend advertised one day for a law office receptionist and got over 200 resumes. The job market is tight. If anyone could predict how it will be in 6 months, they would be a rich person.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 13,146 times
I have lived in the Sanctuary Cove Apartments about 2 miles SE of Mira Flores in the Gardens area since 1999 (and in the area all my life). I don't know much about the current job situation but Mira Flores is right across the street from Downtown At The Gardens (a mall) and Whole Foods (which I love) as well as near several medical/office buildings and the much larger Gardens Mall a bit to the East.
I am 2 miles from (and you would be biking distance from) J.D. MacArthur Beach State Park, right over the PGA bridge and around the bend onto Singer Island. Try and check it out when you come to visit!
MacARTHUR BEACH STATE PARK
A beautiful little State Park in a tropical hammock with a really long boardwalk over a mangrove estuary, ending at a very nice beach for shelling and snorkling (depending on recent wave conditions). They also rent Kayaks and have ranger guided events. I think it's $1 to get in on foot or bike (more for cars) and yearly passes are available. You may want to check out Sanctuary Cove apartments too as it is a bit closer to the ocean (and directly on the intracoastal waterway) but it would be further from shopping and work. Ironically, I often dream of moving to Oregon because of my interest in geology and the summers here seem hotter to me each year but I know the winters can be gloomy there and the job market very bad. Good luck with your decision and your journey.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 PM

27 posts, read 72,584 times
Thanks, everyone, for your input! Just got back from Florida today and have decided it is definitely not where I want to live right now. The heat, the cost of living, the bugs, lack of seasons, and the RUDEST people I've ever encountered - and that's a LOT coming from someone from Philly - is way too much for me to take. The Jersey Shore is probably best for me. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,092 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for your input! Just got back from Florida today and have decided it is definitely not where I want to live right now. The heat, the cost of living, the bugs, lack of seasons, and the RUDEST people I've ever encountered - and that's a LOT coming from someone from Philly - is way too much for me to take. The Jersey Shore is probably best for me. Thanks!
"I tried this in Oregon at Cannon Beach, but life there is way too difficult (super-expensive, constant gray skies/storms, isolation, and snooty rich people)."

You have now tried this twice and with the same result. Is it possible that you are a part of the problem?

There is NO true perfect place anywhere sometimes you have to just accept some of the bad with all of the good.

We moved to to South Florida two years ago and love it like we did The Bahamas and Montreal. We have moved a lot in our lives and one thing we learned is that never be so fast to judge something without giving it a chance first.

Best of luck.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 PM

24 posts, read 131,316 times
Quote:
How can you possibly compare the Jersey Shore to Florida?

The Jersey Shore ... you get what, 2-3 months (tops) of quality beach weather? Not to mention -- dirty beaches. The cleanliness of the beaches between Florida and the Jersey Shore is not comparable.

The Jersey Shore sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach