Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,051 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I need some advice/direction/guidance. I currently live in Bergen County in New Jersey, (similar to Long Island, NY, and 8 miles from NYC, but very suburban.) I am a NJ public school ESL or ESOL teacher, and I have 3 young children. My husband (who is a compliance director), and I are strongly considering a move to South Florida, likely Boca Raton (no we are not rich, but many homes in Boca are still much cheaper than homes in NJ.) The major reason we want to move is because of the outrageous property taxes, and home prices in Northern NJ, our property taxes are $14,000 yearly! And it's only getting worst. Yes, the neighborhoods in Bergen are safe, and beautiful, and the schools are excellent, but it's so expensive living here. Also, we can not take the winters here (long, and depressing), and we love the sun and the beach. My concerns are the school systems (although I hear Boca has a great district), crime, and the real cost of living (is it cheaper or is that a myth these days)? I have searched for homes in Boca, and it seems very reasonable to find one for $300k for a single family plus HOA.
As for teaching in Palm Beach County or Broward County, can anyone that has made a similar move explain what that's like? I really want a better quality of life than paying so much on taxes, and dealing with the awful winters here. Thank you for your time, and responses. Sorry my post is so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 07:13 PM

121 posts, read 177,045 times
Sunshine,
You will be going from very long winters to very long summers. Have you been here in the middle of summer? It is something to get used to. Also, you will get a HUGE pay cut here as a teacher. Just some things to keep in mind.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,051 times
Thanks CandyGal, definitely things to consider. We do have super hot summers here in the Northeast, without close beaches (have to drive 1.5 hrs). I calculated the pay cut and ck the salaries on Broward County and Palm Beach County, it’s about 10k less since I have only been teaching 3 years. My husband would be the breadwinner, so that helps. But the home costs and taxes really are the kicker, decent (but older) homes here in NJ average $500k, and property tax savings is about $9k annually if we move to FL. So hoping that makes up the difference. 

Old 10-15-2017, 08:35 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,663,952 times
Hi, I moved to FL 2 1/2 years ago. I have lived in Bergen County and Westchester County. I'd move back if I could. There are so many things in FL that are just "sub par" starting with medical care. Summers are awful as another poster said. You need a/c for about 7 months per year. Housing is expensive. You can't just jump on a bus and go into NY. If I could do it again, I would not have moved--will probably be moving back in the near future.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:08 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,206,948 times
Re:your husband, Sunshine, is he a Compliance Director in the securities industry? If so, job prospects are limited down here. (My husband recently retired from this area).

Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,837,258 times
For $300K you can find a decent townhouse in an OK neighborhood.

If you are using Zillow - that thing is sooooo outdated...

And often homes look nice on pictures, but are not as nice when you see them with your own eyes, or smell them with your own nose for that matter.

While Boca is nice an all, check out Weston. Some people would have had a better experience with moving to Florida should they have picked Weston.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:18 PM

530 posts, read 667,674 times
You say that the schools are excellent in N.J. and the neighborhood is safe and beautiful BUT it is expensive to live there. The more accurate statement might be that the schools are excellent and the neighborhood is safe and beautiful THEREFORE it is expensive. Community services are expensive and taxes pay for them.
It is interesting that you seem to be attracted to Boca Raton. Is there some one or thing that has caused you to think of a move to this community? Does your husband have a job lined up here? Have you considered that you will not always be a beginning teacher with a lower salary? Have you compared, in detail, the exact sort of house that the same money will buy in N.J. as compared with Fl. includong an HOA payment? Have you zeroed in on a specific house and visited ALL of the schools your children will have to attend during their school careers - while those schools are in session so that you can see them in action? Have you read police reports for the areas and schools you are considering for your childrens’ futures?
If your answer is “no” to most of these questions, you have lots more research to do.
I wonder how far your husband may have to drive in order to secure the same type of job with the same pay he already has. If he will be the “breadwinner” how many additional hours a day do you want to lose him to commuting, traffic jams, wild rainstorms and floods not to mention evacuations for you all in times of major weather events?
Are you prepared to leave family and friends to relocate?
Paradise is any place you are comfortable and secure in the knowledge that you have made the right decision. Think twice before you trade one liability for another. There’s a reason why certain areas are wonderful for the retired crowd but may not offer up the same benefits to people who have to try to find work and use their cars on a daily basis to get to and from that work.
Good luck with this decision. You’ll need it.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,663,952 times
Yes Southern Star, for people who have to work, it's difficult. Traffic and not a lot of very decent jobs. Leaving family and friends is another difficult issue. Personally, I have regrets and am trying to get out of here.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,959,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine2345 View Post
Hello everyone, I need some advice/direction/guidance. I currently live in Bergen County in New Jersey, (similar to Long Island, NY, and 8 miles from NYC, but very suburban.) I am a NJ public school ESL or ESOL teacher, and I have 3 young children. My husband (who is a compliance director), and I are strongly considering a move to South Florida, likely Boca Raton (no we are not rich, but many homes in Boca are still much cheaper than homes in NJ.) The major reason we want to move is because of the outrageous property taxes, and home prices in Northern NJ, our property taxes are $14,000 yearly! And it's only getting worst. Yes, the neighborhoods in Bergen are safe, and beautiful, and the schools are excellent, but it's so expensive living here. Also, we can not take the winters here (long, and depressing), and we love the sun and the beach. My concerns are the school systems (although I hear Boca has a great district), crime, and the real cost of living (is it cheaper or is that a myth these days)? I have searched for homes in Boca, and it seems very reasonable to find one for $300k for a single family plus HOA.
As for teaching in Palm Beach County or Broward County, can anyone that has made a similar move explain what that's like? I really want a better quality of life than paying so much on taxes, and dealing with the awful winters here. Thank you for your time, and responses. Sorry my post is so long.
For school districts, Palm Beach, Broward and Sarasota are the counties you want. All are generally very good (have heard comments from out of staters). Other counties not so much. Schools in PBC and BC are HUGE. Thousands of students. Schools in Sarasota county are smaller.

Aside from housing, cost of living is comparable to NE in PBC and BC. Sarasota things are cheaper. PBC/BC are heavily populated, again like LI/NJ. Sarasota is less crowded, but growing.

Look at how much you will be making as a teacher in 10 years (NJ vs FL) as well as pensions.

I think you may be just swapping out problems. Do some real research re costs and visit. Multiple times before making any real decisions.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:33 PM

387 posts, read 516,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine2345 View Post
Excellent post, well stated and yes despite a few naysayers it can be done. I spend half my time not far from Bergen County, the county that closes stores on Sunday to stop the crowds from clogging their streets. I purchased a property in Boca about 15 years ago, I still think it's the best location in Florida. I spent a lot of time traveling around the state and settled on Palm Beach County.It's below the Gulf Stream so you can say goodbye to winter. Children play outdoor sports here all winter, and you can swim with the Canadian Snowbirds in January if you chose. Summers in Boca are no doubt hot, but I go to the beautiful beaches we have and its a bit cooler. Summers in the NYC Metro area are no picnic so I don't see a big issue as some proclaim. I'm far from rich so I get to enjoy the same amenities as the real rich Boca residents do. Great shopping, clean, well run small city. I think if you can nail down your work plans its a go. Check the City of Boca or Palm Beach County website for job openings.ESL teachers I would think would be in demand. I would recommend talking to a few realtors who have been here longterm and know the best areas for children.I live East of 95, between Glades Rd & Camino Real, an area you can walk to shopping, restaurants, etc. You can always rent first, decide what area suits you best. If you'd like the name of a realtor who's been here forever, not pushy, let me know, she's very nice.I'm sure there are many here just like her who may see your post. It's no doubt a daunting task to move, but if you get some good help/advice its doable.Leaving New Jersey for Florida is a no brainer in my opinion.Just be mindful that 'we' get a lot of similar posts, some folks here can either be helpful or somewhat petulant, Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach