Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,998 times

Advertisements

If you need sun during the winter drive east out of the valley.

Miami gets more rain per year than Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:56 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szito11 View Post
Isn't it hard though when it is nice but too hot to go out? I guess everyone has a different opinion on what lifestyle suits them. I mean camping in florida sounds boring and hot and buggy. Camping in with scenic views of mountains and little to no bugs with hiking trails abound and cold rivers to jump into sounds wonderful. I would love to have more sunshine but I trade that for lush greenery sweeping mountain vistas and lakes and streams my kid can play in. Trade-off I guess.
No, you get use to it. I from the Northeast originally and the summers up there were more brutal than here. Also your body doesn't have time to adjust due to the seasons. This is my experience, others can't deal with it.

I think Oregon is a beautiful state, the trees and landscape are majestic. Unfortunatley, I would find it hard to live there with the lengthy cloud cover and rain, it may rain more here per yearly totals but we only get it in short spurts and during the summer, it comes and goes. Where as there, it's a light rain that last a long time. I think I would need light therapy to keep from getting SAD syndrome. Also the beaches there are useless for swimming but are very scenic.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 PM

170 posts, read 193,971 times
Thumbs down i'd rethink florida

i would not move to florida if i were you. i live in pdx and what little heat we have here about knocks me out. you should go to the bay area, that's my home and i'm tryingn to work my way back there.

don't move there. why the south anyway?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 PM

22 posts, read 71,868 times
Jupiter has a very laid back and friendly atmosphere in general. People spend a lot of time outdoors here. There are a lot of different water activities, incl. kayaking, surfing, fishing. We have a horse and spend hours at the barn every day where the kids run around playing with each other as well as riding. In the summer it is extremely hot and humid and if you are outside for more than a minute you will soon be drenched with perspiration. Everyone else is too, and it's not a big deal. It's just part of enjoying the outdoors in S. Florida. The variety of wildlife here is amazing. Deer, bunnies, hawks, etc like up North, and all the tropical beasties, too. In 8 months I have only seen one gator, and was canoeing on a river at the time. There is a lot of wild land around Jupiter, so depending on how much you really like the wilderness you can hike/ride/kayak for miles (or days--check out Ocean To Lake), and they keep expanding the trails. There is a serious lack of mountains, but picturesque low-lying clouds sometimes look like them :-)

Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr!ter View Post
In the summer it is extremely hot and humid and if you are outside for more than a minute you will soon be drenched with perspiration. Everyone else is too.
Not really accurate, unless your working out or doing work outdoors, you will rarely be "drenched" of course if your standing in the Sun along with the humidity it will be detrimental. Of course everyone is different some people don't sweat like others, if you carrying too much body fat it doesn't help unless your up north in the winter months.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 AM

207 posts, read 1,034,361 times
That is why so many homes have pools in FL. And of course there is a beach, where it is usually cooler due to the breeze and being able to take a dip in the ocean. But, yeah, if you are doing anything else besides swimming then it can get oppressive for a couple months (Jul-Sep).

Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy123 View Post
That is why so many homes have pools in FL. And of course there is a beach, where it is usually cooler due to the breeze and being able to take a dip in the ocean. But, yeah, if you are doing anything else besides swimming then it can get oppressive for a couple months (Jul-Sep).

Maybe it's time to go back to NY then?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 AM

207 posts, read 1,034,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Maybe it's time to go back to NY then?
Are you talking to me? I live here!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szito11 View Post
Hey All! We may be making a move from PDX to Jupiter Florida and I have several concerns about the area. We have a 3 year old and I want to live in a safe, family friendly community. My first concern is heat. We spend a lot of time outside in the NW whether sunny and 80 or raining and 40. the climate is temperate and I have gotten used to the rain and no sun Can you be outside everyday exploring nature? Not in a pool all the time? To kids spend time out in nature hiking and exploring?
Second is the culture. Is there a culture? I have read so many threads with people saying do not move to Florida period and if you have kids definitely do not. That is why we love Portland so much because there is such a diversity of people and lifestyles. People bike alot and recycle and live simply. NOt all of course but there is at least a community of like-minded individuals that love to get their kids outside every day, are vegan, recycle and do not spray nasty chemicals on their yards.
Can your kids play in the yard and run on hiking trails? or do you have to have them on a leash so they do not get eaten by a gator, attacked by fire ants or bitten by a poisonous snake. We love being able to let our son play in the backyard freely and run ahead on trails. I am not sure I would be comfortable letting him explore, jumping over rocks and just going outside without me having to go out there and search for anything with a rattle.
Cancer cluster in South florida? I hear that it may be due to water shortage short fixes in which they do not treat the water enough before sending it to the aquafiers. so all the pesticides and crap people spray in their yard and in their home end up in the water. Thoughts? I know we live in a toxic world but some places are more toxic.
Is there a homeschooling community in Jupiter?
Sorry for the long post! I am just so confused as I want to make a good decision for my son.
And any suggestion on other areas surrounding Jupiter that are family friendly would be great. We do not care for gated communities and would love to find a quaint family friendly town with local businesses and simple life. We are not into extravagance, chain restaurants and big shopping centers
OH and we are considering if we move moving to Jupiter Farms any thoughts on the area and commute time to Juno Beach during rush hour would be appreciated. Do you feel out there and isolated? Is there a sense of community at all and would you say people are accepting of biracial couples that eat vegan, recycle and try to live simply.

Thanks again!

Check out Abacoa ... a lovely master planned community .. great for kids and close to the beach ..... most of Jupiter is lovely .. so is Portland but they are two totally different types of beauty .. also Portland is a large city and Jupiter is not .. although it is upscale in may areas .

Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 39,880 times
Default THanks so much

Hey All! I wanted to say thank you for all of your thoughts and advice. It is wonderful to have this community to weigh in on a big decision especially since I have not lived in Florida. Thank you, Thank you! We have decided to stay put in PDX. Many factors including job travel were reason for our decision. We really have landed in a great place and the reason for such a long pause on this Florida opportunity was the great job. Best wishes to all and don't feel the need to post anymore. I will try and figure out how to take this post off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach