Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 AM

323 posts, read 634,135 times

Advertisements

I am currently in NC and was told for months that the kids here are sooooo....
"nice". We moved from the NE, north of NYC, and honestly, the kids were nicer there, in general.

We are not totally happy here, and we've had our sights on Jupiter for a while. I like the vibrant, NE feel to Jupiter. And, it gorgeous!

Are the kids super-competitive? Easy on newcomers? Snotty? Polite?
What words would you use to describe them?

Also, many NE's here have said that its hard to make friends, and connect with others. Do people/kids feel the same down there? We are not religious. Is this an issue?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
I don't know about Jupiter but my Son swam with kids from Jupiter and they were very nice...We live in Boca but we moved from Union County NC/Charlotte to here and my kids will tell you there is no comparison hands down the kids are nicer here than there...We were very unhappy there and for us this was a great move...

Good Luck to you

Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM

Hi swimmom32,

We chatted a while back! Thanks for the input.

My family moved to NC because from everything we heard, read, researched, etc... this was supposed to be a friendlier, family-oriented place with great schools. Well, we have been a bit disappointed, especially my daughter. She's at a tough age, but says the kids here are "hollow" and "robotic", and can be very mean. Like a movie, she says. I'm beginning to believe her opinion. (Thought it was just puberty!)

Even many adults say its hard to connect and make friends. But don't say that on the NC boards! People jump all over you. I have to resort to private messaging to have a conservation on it!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
Hi swimmom32,

We chatted a while back! Thanks for the input.

My family moved to NC because from everything we heard, read, researched, etc... this was supposed to be a friendlier, family-oriented place with great schools. Well, we have been a bit disappointed, especially my daughter. She's at a tough age, but says the kids here are "hollow" and "robotic", and can be very mean. Like a movie, she says. I'm beginning to believe her opinion. (Thought it was just puberty!)

Even many adults say its hard to connect and make friends. But don't say that on the NC boards! People jump all over you. I have to resort to private messaging to have a conservation on it!
Hat your so right about that!!! It just wasnt the place for us or our kids....We Moved for the similar reasons and I did quite extensive research and well after 2.5 yrs it was time to move on...My son had a hard time in school there with the kids he was bullied and well they are just Ignorant....Anyhow both of them think the kids are certainly nicer and more welcoming here than there....they are hollow and robotic and very superficial which is funny because people say all this stuff about Boca and the Kids and well my kids have made more friends here in the same time living here than we did there and your right you cant say anything on the boards about it....There are a lot of people who love it and a lot of people who are going back to where they came from it isnt for everyone Just like Florida isn't for everyone but I would never tell someone NOT to move to either place kwim?

Jupiter is very nice, Schools are good and people for the most part seemed friendly at least at our swim meets..lol

Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM

I'll be bringing the kids again for a visit, and maybe we can visit the school, for my daughter.

Thanks again.

I'm not looking for sticky sweet niceness, just conversation and the desire to have friendships.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM

unfortunately that you can't escape but my daughters friends are not like that....neither are the girls my son is friends with either

Old 04-17-2012, 05:31 AM

I think the ocean is good for people. All the oxygen in the air or something.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 PM

143 posts, read 472,006 times
My son plays travel baseball but we are in Boca...the kids in Jupiter are always friendly and so are the parents...we are only up there a few times a year but they come to Boca to our field a few times as well and I'm basically a "talker" (lol) and they are all very nice. Best of luck.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 PM

You and I would get along great then JC...LOL

Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
I am currently in NC and was told for months that the kids here are sooooo....
"nice". We moved from the NE, north of NYC, and honestly, the kids were nicer there, in general.

We are not totally happy here, and we've had our sights on Jupiter for a while. I like the vibrant, NE feel to Jupiter. And, it gorgeous!

Are the kids super-competitive? Easy on newcomers? Snotty? Polite?
What words would you use to describe them?

Also, many NE's here have said that its hard to make friends, and connect with others. Do people/kids feel the same down there? We are not religious. Is this an issue?

Thanks!
The last time I dealt with jupiter kids is when I lived in Boynton Beach and we had two new students from Jupiter who I personally didn't think were the nicest kids. One guy was a total douche. The other was his sister who never felt comfortable or tried to assimilate because she thought the school was "ghetto". Which I can understand because the high school I went to WAS ghetto but it wasn't that bad. You could find people with similar interest like yourself and hang out with them and have a good time. Plenty of other new students, such as myself, did it and we were fine. We got used to the school after awhile and it wasn't as bad as you would thought coming in. But those kids I guess thought they were too good for it and after a few weeks left and went back to Jupiter.

I can't say I blame them. But it goes a long way to at least try to assimilate to your environment. Whatever it may be. That way, you know how to deal with many different situations and people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach