Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 05:47 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,055,581 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an interesting read (couple of years old BUT it looks applicable today)...as to Why Palm Beach County is not growing?

PBC has less employers than Broward and looks like less opportunity (from what i can tell).

From what i can glean, the article is saying local Democrats in power are preventing growth and don't want to see another Broward County Debacle.

HOWEVER, from what i can observe, PBC has more poor and homeless that either Dade or Broward County.

LINK

What can be done to cure this?

What industry is present in PBC?

Here's another Article that explains the thought process of development and industry growth of PBC.

LINK 2

Thoughts / Comments?

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:39 AM

623 posts, read 971,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
I thought this was an interesting read (couple of years old BUT it looks applicable today)...as to Why Palm Beach County is not growing?

PBC has less employers than Broward and looks like less opportunity (from what i can tell).

From what i can glean, the article is saying local Democrats in power are preventing growth and don't want to see another Broward County Debacle.

HOWEVER, from what i can observe, PBC has more poor and homeless that either Dade or Broward County.

LINK

Here's another Article that explains the thought process of development and industry growth of PBC.

LINK 2

Thoughts / Comments?

H
This post is 100% nonsense

Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 AM

5,033 posts, read 7,498,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Agree!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Agree!
Really ???

100% non-sense ----->in what way peeps?

Seeking explanation on why PBC is not growing as fast as 2 southern counties...and all you got to offer is... ? ? ?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:24 AM

17,602 posts, read 22,370,507 times
Quote:
Really ???

100% non-sense ----->in what way peeps?

Seeking explanation on why PBC is not growing as fast as 2 southern counties...and all you got to offer is... ? ? ?

Dade and Broward have way way more homeless than PBC. Ever think those counties are more tourism related therefore grow faster? Ever consider the amount of foreign investors in those areas looking to be close to international airports? Think there could be a reason that the 3 sports teams are in those counties and not in PBC for a reason?

Old 02-18-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Dade and Broward have way way more homeless than PBC. Ever think those counties are more tourism related therefore grow faster? Ever consider the amount of foreign investors in those areas looking to be close to international airports? Think there could be a reason that the 3 sports teams are in those counties and not in PBC for a reason?
True...Yep, those are facts.

More Tourism in Dade/Broward ...and No sports teams in WPB (sigh)

International Airport--- Yep, true again. But doesn't PB have an international ?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:06 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,610,520 times
Quote:

LINK

LINK 2

Thoughts / Comments?

H
Population has been growing for years and a large influx of new Employers are not driving population growth, lifestyle and influx of people who do not need to rely on a job to survive are. I rented both my houses out in Wellington to people who do not work but have a very HNW, one is is a Polo Player from Argentina who is only here a few months out of the year, 29 years old and comes from a Wealthy Family. The other property was rented out to a retired couple in their 50's from Canada who are still not sure on buying and in what neighborhood. Having pulled credit, background and financial info on both, let's just say that they are a typical of the area and I know plenty more like them.

Quote:
True...Yep, those are facts.

More Tourism in Dade/Broward ...and No sports teams in WPB (sigh)

International Airport--- Yep, true again. But doesn't PB have an international ?
No Pro Sports Teams...but Spring Training MLB and Minor League Growth is coming, more teams are moving to WPB. The Miami Marlins would probably draw larger crowds if the Stadium was in WPB than where it is now.

PBIA is not on the same level as Miami International, if you want to fly to Europe, you can get a direct flight through Miami, but not through PBIA.

The amount of $ generated during season in PBC is quite high and I have not seen a decline, especially with the Equestrian season in Wellington.

Last edited by THX 1138; 02-19-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 06:00 AM

153 posts, read 262,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Population has been growing for years and a large influx of new Employers are not driving population growth, lifestyle and influx of people who do not need to rely on a job to survive are. I rented both my houses out in Wellington to people who do not work but have a very HNW, one is is a Polo Player from Argentina who is only here a few months out of the year, 29 years old and comes from a Wealthy Family. The other property was rented out to a retired couple in their 50's from Canada who are still not sure on buying and in what neighborhood. Having pulled credit, background and financial info on both, let's just say that they are a typical of the area and I know plenty more like them.

No Pro Sports Teams...but Spring Training MLB and Minor League Growth is coming, more teams are moving to WPB. The Miami Marlins would probably draw larger crowds if the Stadium was in WPB than where it is now.

PBIA is not on the same level as Miami International, if you want to fly to Europe, you can get a direct flight through Miami, but not through PBIA.

The amount of $ generated during season in PBC is quite high and I have not seen a decline, especially with the Equestrian season in Wellington.
Interesting comments. Makes sense. Retirees and and northern people migrating for warm weather.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Not sure about this (of course this is from observations only). I see more people with Homeless signs up in PB than i do in broward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

Interesting insights....thanks

BTW, where did you get that graph?

I see plenty of corps in PB COUNTY, but PB appears to have a lot more lower income people than BROWARD.

LINK

When driving the area, Its looks like the shrinking "middle class paradigm" is more STARK in PB, than the other counties (dade,broward).

Old 02-20-2016, 12:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,610,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
Interesting comments. Makes sense. Retirees and and northern people migrating for warm weather.
It's always been this way...but years back it was much more affordable and now only wealthy baby boomers/retirees can afford it.

Quote:
Not sure about this (of course this is from observations only). I see more people with Homeless signs up in PB than i do in broward.

Interesting insights....thanks

BTW, where did you get that graph?

I see plenty of corps in PB COUNTY, but PB appears to have a lot more lower income people than BROWARD.

LINK

When driving the area, Its looks like the shrinking "middle class paradigm" is more STARK in PB, than the other counties (dade,broward).

Graph came from a UF study.

Not sure where you are drawing your resources from but there are many affluent areas in PBC and many that look no different than parts of Broward, Lauderhill and Pompano, could as well be similar to Riviera Beach and parts of WPB and Lake Worth, near the water it's all wealth. Even Delray has become de-Ghetto'tised since 1990's, anyone that lived here back then will remember how bad Atlantic was between Doc's and 95, though they cleaned it up the hood is still prevalent to this day.

Toss in Wellington, Jupiter, Jupiter Island, Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Delray and Boca plus several other areas I am leaving out...I can tell you there is a lot of HNW from my business and customer base, I would not be coming back here still from p/t retirement from CA if not.

Area is changing and also keep in mind PBC is proposing a hike in the sales tax rate to pay for Fire Rescue services. 6% now, but could go to 8%, if if happens it will cut deeper into those already barely scraping by paying 50% of their income on rent.

Palm Beach County sales tax could increase to up to 8% - wptv.com

Aside from Palm Beach and Jupiter Island, there are seedy areas and section 8 housing in Wellington, Boca, Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter. So you will not escape poor people living in these areas nor will you not see crime, petty theft, car break-ins and etc. People are being pushed out of PBC, only those who can afford it or have good jobs can stay afloat, those who live in poverty will keep relying on government assistance and public transit to make a go of it, same can be said in Broward and Dade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach