Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 22,631 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Wellington early next year. We have two small children (5 & 1). We would like to find a house with at least 4 bdrms in a nice family oriented community with good elementary school - perferrably within walking distance. We would like a newer home with a good size yard, or/and on a lake if possible. We looked at the Olympia community, it seemed very nice. But the houses are very close together. Can anyone give me some ideas on what other communities I should be looking into? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 19,981 times
Binks Forest Communities. Binks Forest is an A rated School, my children attended there.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,092 times
[quote=lvmy3grls;[COLOR="Red"]Orphaned post[/color]
Don't bite on that price, by next fall that price will look a lot better to you. You are far better off to rent while the market crashes and make a purchase when it makes sense to do so. It will make sense when the cost of renting the same house is more expensive than paying mortgage, taxes and insurance.

It will also make sense to pay 120-150 times that rent price for the home.

NEVER PURCHASE A HOME IN A DECLINING MARKET.

With the numbers of REO out there now and more on the way, the prices in Wellington have no place to go but DOWN.

Check this out:
PBC mortgage loan defaults (http://tinyurl.com/3xszq6 - broken link)

Last edited by sunrico90; 10-20-2007 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: orphaned post

Old 10-21-2007, 05:00 PM

156 posts, read 711,172 times
The thing is, you never know when it's finished declining, and if you don't want to move twice, you buy a home you love, then wait a long time to sell it. Wellington has many wonderful communities, look to Greenview Shores, Wiltshire village, Chatsworth village, Emerald Forest and others in that area. People are very nice, close to schools and shopping, and very reasonable homes.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:04 PM
SKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmy3grls View Post
The thing is, you never know when it's finished declining, and if you don't want to move twice, you buy a home you love, then wait a long time to sell it. Wellington has many wonderful communities, look to Greenview Shores, Wiltshire village, Chatsworth village, Emerald Forest and others in that area. People are very nice, close to schools and shopping, and very reasonable homes.
I guess one has to look at their own budget and income to be able to say what very reasonable homes look like in Wellington.
If you consider these facts:

Estimated median household income in 2005: $75,000 (it was $70,271 in 2000)
Wellington $75,000
Florida: $42,433

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $328,900 (it was $164,800 in 2000)
Wellington $328,900
Florida: $189,500

Homes went up double in Wellington and salaries went up 6%.

I do not see how anyone could say with a clear head that this is reasonable.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 PM

30 posts, read 91,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scvvoyager View Post
We are looking to relocate to Wellington early next year. We have two small children (5 & 1). We would like to find a house with at least 4 bdrms in a nice family oriented community with good elementary school - perferrably within walking distance. We would like a newer home with a good size yard, or/and on a lake if possible. We looked at the Olympia community, it seemed very nice. But the houses are very close together. Can anyone give me some ideas on what other communities I should be looking into? Thanks!
Olympia is mostly a 0-lot line community. WAY too many people bought on spec there during the boom. So many people are now trying to get out. I have a friend that finally gave up after trying to sell for about 7 months. Since the market is in flux, I'd suggest renting for a year or so. It took me months to sell my place. Take your time - it's incredible how many houses are for sale in the area - you'll have your pick. There are several good apartment communities. As for homes...I grew up in Wellington. The charm is not in the new communities like Olympia, it's in the older pine-tree sections of Wellington. You can find some great deals and good communities. The people who have been moving in over the past few years just don't seem to get that...they all want Olympia, Emerald Dunes, Black Diamond, etc. They're pretty, but a bit too cookie-cutter for me.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:15 PM
SKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamesq View Post
Olympia is mostly a 0-lot line community. WAY too many people bought on spec there during the boom. So many people are now trying to get out. I have a friend that finally gave up after trying to sell for about 7 months. Since the market is in flux, I'd suggest renting for a year or so. It took me months to sell my place. Take your time - it's incredible how many houses are for sale in the area - you'll have your pick. There are several good apartment communities. As for homes...I grew up in Wellington. The charm is not in the new communities like Olympia, it's in the older pine-tree sections of Wellington. You can find some great deals and good communities. The people who have been moving in over the past few years just don't seem to get that...they all want Olympia, Emerald Dunes, Black Diamond, etc. They're pretty, but a bit too cookie-cutter for me.
I completely agree 100%, we are currently living in Little Ranches and it is so lovely and loaded with pine trees and 3 acreage lots, horses everywhere and every house is different.
I also love the Acreage and Loxahatchee.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 AM

Note that the Acreage and Loxahatchee have lots of canals and dirt roads. If you're into rustic areas, it's definitely an area to check out. You can get really good deals on good size lots. If I were buying now, I'd definitely look there. Just be very aware of how your neighbors maintain their property. It's not fun having a perfectly landscaped yard and living next to a marsh or a junkyard! A good friend of mine grew up in Loxahatchee. I remember a few years ago, he was driving through the area and grazed an Emu that ran into the road with his car mirror (that doesn't happen just anywhere).

Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
I guess one has to look at their own budget and income to be able to say what very reasonable homes look like in Wellington.
If you consider these facts:

Estimated median household income in 2005: $75,000 (it was $70,271 in 2000)
Wellington $75,000
Florida: $42,433

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $328,900 (it was $164,800 in 2000)
Wellington $328,900
Florida: $189,500

Homes went up double in Wellington and salaries went up 6%.

I do not see how anyone could say with a clear head that this is reasonable.
Median single income in Palm Beach County is approx $35-40K tops

Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 AM

I don't know if the figures are accurate, but they are outdated. The market today couldn't be much more different than in 2005. It also doesn't take into account the size of Florida or the demographic (and changes in the demographic). I think you have to center in more on the county and community. Tallahasee, WPB, and Miami are all extremes - very different from each other. They look like different States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach