Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 22,744 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to purchase a second home in Boca or Boynton Beach. We have two kids 13 and 16 but schools are not an issue as this would be used for vacations only. We are looking to spend up to 250,000. Would prefer a single family home but are open to a condo or townhouse. We would love to be in a gated community with a clubhouse and pool. Are there communities like this which are under 55 (we are 44 and 49) where not everyone is there year round? Ideally I would like to have this now for vacations and summer and in 5 years when both my boys are at college go during the winter. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,406,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2plan1 View Post
My husband and I would like to purchase a second home in Boca or Boynton Beach. We have two kids 13 and 16 but schools are not an issue as this would be used for vacations only. We are looking to spend up to 250,000. Would prefer a single family home but are open to a condo or townhouse. We would love to be in a gated community with a clubhouse and pool. Are there communities like this which are under 55 (we are 44 and 49) where not everyone is there year round? Ideally I would like to have this now for vacations and summer and in 5 years when both my boys are at college go during the winter. Thanks.

Boca will be more expensive than boynton..We are in the same boat we lived in Boca for 3 years recently left and moved back to NC our son is starting college in the fall and my daughter is 14..We are deciding if we want to head back to South Florida and buy a Vacation Home which would eventually be used full time as we are 44 and 46 and too young yet for a retirement community as once our daughter graduates from HS we will be leaving NC...In a nutshell since your too young for adult community most of your Housing will be people who live there full time and their kids attend school there etc...the adult communities most of them are Snow birds like my parents who are only there for 4-6 months out of the year...250k in a gated community in Boca will be a bit difficult, but Im sure they are out there...Boca point has townhomes in that price range but the community really is much older than you might want...I don't know much about Boynton Beach although I know haggan ranch area is really nice as we have a friend that just sold their townhome there but these people live there full time as well...

Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 AM

Thank you. Maybe we should wait a few years until we can buy into a 55 and over community.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Maybe we should wait a few years until we can buy into a 55 and over community.
thats what we are thinking, its tough at this age and still have school aged children..We are exploring other places like Charleston too..anyway you can look around and make trips and then decide what you guys would like to do, but its a matter if you want to live with families while your kids are young, and then decide on buying in an adult 55 or Just rent for a few years and then decide to buy...

Good luck

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM

Thank you I appreciate your insight.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Thank you I appreciate your insight.
My Pleasure...good luck

Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,837,790 times
Have you spent an extended time in FL? That is what I would do first and rent. Spending a week or 2 vs more time is very different and this will also allow you to get a feel for different areas. What one person enjoys another does not.
I had a neighbor in Boca who had young children but bought a retirement townhome which they used part time on holidays and summers. I also know some people who will rent it out and then use it when they are not. Your budget you also have to take in account HOA and with gated community etc this can add up even in a non country club. Boca Pointe that was suggested has small homes in the community of Panache I looked at that were cute. I would not buy a condo or townhome attached cause I have heard too many horror stories from leaks to horrible neighbors. I know this can be in a seperate dwelling but not as bad if you are not connected. The home though for the price would not have a pool but you could use a community one. Boynton I think ranges in terms of safety and how nice but would be less expensive. What about other areas like Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens?
If you wait and go to a 55 an older those seem to vary a lot. What is nice is they do offer activities and it makes it easier to meet people. I think some even have a van that could drive you places. That being said even my 90 year old grandfather says that they are depressing because some people are very old.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 PM

It depends where you chose to live...some of the adult communities are getting younger and younger...my parents friends are building in Delray I can't remember the name as they are late 50's and have met some people their age...New construction some of them also let you purchase at 48 yrs old..My parents are in an adult community in NJ and the new people moving in are much younger than what is living there and its a nice mix...they are also in adult 55 in delray but the people are quite old there but my parents have a few of their friends from NJ that live in both communities where they are...

OP I do think you guys should find a summer rental and spend some time in South Florida and get to know the area's before you buy anything anyhow....because again you will be in a different part of your life in a few years so to speak so your needs will be different than they are now and when your 14 yr old graduates HS you will be empty nesters..lol as will we...

We have decided to spend holiday's and Next Summer in Charleston since we lived in South Florida we already know what it's like to live there

Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,837,790 times
Well the 2 major ones King Point and Century Village the majority are not seniors in their 50s and 60s but seniors in the 70s and 80s. I went to 3Gs in Delray one day which is near Kings Point and I think another over 55 is near and basically it looked like a retirement community with seniors and their aids. I am not trying to be rude against moving to a senior community because I feel they have benefits in terms of being cheap and the activities they offer but some are depressing. I do know some non over 55 communities that seem to be filled with older people are trying to attract younger residents by redoing the clubs or areas like the pool/gym.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Well the 2 major ones King Point and Century Village the majority are not seniors in their 50s and 60s but seniors in the 70s and 80s. I went to 3Gs in Delray one day which is near Kings Point and I think another over 55 is near and basically it looked like a retirement community with seniors and their aids. I am not trying to be rude against moving to a senior community because I feel they have benefits in terms of being cheap and the activities they offer but some are depressing. I do know some non over 55 communities that seem to be filled with older people are trying to attract younger residents by redoing the clubs or areas like the pool/gym.
I was speaking of some of the upper scale 55 communities..I agree with you about Century and Kings Point hence my parents have their friends in Kings Point however they would never buy there full time, but they do go to the shows...kings Point is much older than they are, and since they live in a younger active community in NJ they dont seem to care too much...Their other friends are in Valencia and one other and they love it, and say that younger people are moving in as well...You cant compare these to a Kings Point or Century
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach