Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,022 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old guy looking to move to Florida as soon as possible.

It is pretty foolish considering all my friends and family are over here as well as my career.

Moving would essentially mean, starting over from 0 and losing all the time, effort, and money i've put into marketing my business over here. (which is professional wedding and event photography)

It would also mean canceling all the weddings i've booked for this year, or traveling back and fourth to complete these jobs.

My main reasons for wanting to move are that I absolutely hate the cold weather here, the stench, and the people. Everyone is so up tight and in a rush all the time. Everyone is permanently stressed and depressed.

I'm also paying quite a lot. 1800 for my 2 bedroom apartment after bills, 500 for car insurance, 1000 for my office space.

If i'm not mistaken, rent, insurance, and office space is cheaper in florida, right?

I currently live in sheepshead bay. I guess i'm looking for somewhat of an equivalent place. Not far from the beach, nice safe neighborhood. Maybe a nice eastern european community somewhere nearby.

But i'm also curious to know what part of florida is considered "wedding central"..
you see... over here there's this area in long island, that has a wedding caterer on almost every single block for at least five miles. Most of my business is from that area because that's where everyone gets married. Is there an equivalent place in florida?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:50 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
And you want to be in miami or south florida? Growing up in Brooklyn myself lived in South Florida for 3 years I can tell you the people are not much different, your income more than likely will not go up, I hope you can make what you do in NY but I really dont thinknso unless you have an upscale clientel....S Florida in general is not much different than NY....doesnt mean that is a bad or good thinng its personal preference

good luck

Old 03-03-2014, 04:56 PM

61 posts, read 122,364 times
You will feel right at home because everybody in Boca Raton is from Brooklyn.

You say the reason you are moving is because "you hate the people, everyone is so up tight and in a rush all the time, and everyone is permanently stressed and depressed".

WELCOME TO BOCA RATON! Let me help you also with, BOCA IS VERY PRETENTIOUS !

I believe your rental may be a tad lower, but you will make up the difference in car insurance. The people down here are being extorted out of their money with insurance. The insurance lobbyist have paid off our elected members and those corrupt elected members have allowed the insurance industry to rape the people in Florida.

It's beautiful here, and the temperatures are amazing. I hate the cold also and this winter has been great. Today it was 85 degrees. : ) Good luck with your decision, but you will be moving around the people you hate. I'm still trying to get use to the mutha, fatha, "yo vinny these two yutes" sounding people here.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusnatc View Post
You will feel right at home because everybody in Boca Raton is from Brooklyn.

You say the reason you are moving is because "you hate the people, everyone is so up tight and in a rush all the time, and everyone is permanently stressed and depressed".

WELCOME TO BOCA RATON! Let me help you also with, BOCA IS VERY PRETENTIOUS !

I believe your rental may be a tad lower, but you will make up the difference in car insurance. The people down here are being extorted out of their money with insurance. The insurance lobbyist have paid off our elected members and those corrupt elected members have allowed the insurance industry to rape the people in Florida.

It's beautiful here, and the temperatures are amazing. I hate the cold also and this winter has been great. Today it was 85 degrees. : ) Good luck with your decision, but you will be moving around the people you hate. I'm still trying to get use to the mutha, fatha, "yo vinny these two yutes" sounding people here.
Great Post...

and boy are you right about the car insurance, its more there than in NJ at least for us....although insurance is high in NYC

Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 PM

Really? I understand my insurance is so high because I'm very young and haven't had my license for too long but when I discussed the possibility of me living in New Jersey or Miami to my insurance agents, they all gave me quotes that are less than half what I'm paying now.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyK6505 View Post
Really? I understand my insurance is so high because I'm very young and haven't had my license for too long but when I discussed the possibility of me living in New Jersey or Miami to my insurance agents, they all gave me quotes that are less than half what I'm paying now.
Im very surprised...my son is 19 drives a 2012 mustang and very reasonable here to insure compared to south florida, remember south florida has alot of insurance fraud and uinsured motorists geico raised our premium every 6 months it was awful...

Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Im very surprised...my son is 19 drives a 2012 mustang and very reasonable here to insure compared to south florida, remember south florida has alot of insurance fraud and uinsured motorists geico raised our premium every 6 months it was awful...

Surely not more than Brooklyn. About 80% our populations are scamming the government in one way or another. I know more uninsured hooligans than I care to admit.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 PM

Trust me south florida is just as bad

Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Trust me south florida is just as bad
I agree. There is a whole world outside of South FL and NYC if you preferred a more toned down less intense less stressed existence. I guess you can always do the laid back beachside thing in either Delray or Deefield for a few years crawl out of your shell into the rat race west of US 1 from time to time to make a living. OP sounds like a real go getter, will succeed no matter where he is, but if he wants something far different from Brooklyn he is looking in the wrong place.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
I agree. There is a whole world outside of South FL and NYC if you preferred a more toned down less intense less stressed existence. I guess you can always do the laid back beachside thing in either Delray or Deefield for a few years crawl out of your shell into the rat race west of US 1 from time to time to make a living. OP sounds like a real go getter, will succeed no matter where he is, but if he wants something far different from Brooklyn he is looking in the wrong place.
Completely agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach