Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 AM

18 posts, read 47,072 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Im a 57 year old (active) semi retired bachelor wanting to buy a condo in the 35,000-60,000
cash range for winter use..My hope is for opinions about which place (or others) is a better financial bargain now.. and which in the future may have a better price appreciation?
Thankyou!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 AM

17,281 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleymc16 View Post
Hi,
Im a 57 year old (active) semi retired bachelor wanting to buy a condo in the 35,000-60,000
cash range for winter use..My hope is for opinions about which place (or others) is a better financial bargain now.. and which in the future may have a better price appreciation?
Thankyou!!
One visit to either and you will buy neither!

A. 57 is young enough to be most residents kid and in some cases grandkid!
B. Price appreciation?.....Unless you buy one on a tax sale you won't see any appreciation (unlikely on the tax sale because the taxes are ridiculously low, only a fool wouldn't pay them). These are old units and the 2nd floor stuff in non-elevator buildings are the least desirable and therefore the cheapest.
C. These are where poor people retire, often have oppressive HOA rules and aren't going to be the next South Beach anytime soon. SB was full of retirees in the 70s/early 80s before it became cool.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 AM

Default Re

Thanks..any suggestions for complexes in my price range? Lakeworth to Pompano Area?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:39 PM

21 posts, read 104,852 times
I have to disagree with City Guy. I am a resident of Kings Point and love it! I am 65 and wife is 66. We have lived here for 3 years and find it quite enjoyable. Yes it is not a new complex but they do a good job of keeping it well maintained. We just completed a 2 million dollar renovation of the indoor pool complex. A lap pool, a resistance pool, and a larger spa was added in addition to the regular style indoor pool. We chose Kings Point over Century Village because all the units in Kings Point have their own laundry facilities unlike Century Village where not all units do. The real estate market is always changing but I know for a fact that our values have increased since we bought our unit. And since when is low taxes a bad thing??? As far as the second floor, all units in Kings Point either have a elevator or a Lift (a 2 person elevator) so you do not have to take the stairs unless you choose. Some people I know feel more comfortable on the second floor, I prefer the ground level myself, it is a personal choice. I do not know where City Guy got his facts or definition of only poor people retire here but that is not true. People choose to retire where it fits their individual needs. I could have retired to another more costly and probably more affluent area and paid for the address but chose to live here where all of my needs are met and it does not break the bank
All condo have a HOA maintenance fee, they need it to maintain the grounds an building, our fee us $359 per month and that includes cable. So since it is a personal choice you should really check them out because everyone has their own opinion and yours may be quite different from mine or City Guy but for me it is the right decision and I could not be happier.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:37 PM

17,281 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysnowbird View Post
I have to disagree with City Guy. I am a resident of Kings Point and love it! I am 65 and wife is 66. We have lived here for 3 years and find it quite enjoyable. Yes it is not a new complex but they do a good job of keeping it well maintained. We just completed a 2 million dollar renovation of the indoor pool complex. A lap pool, a resistance pool, and a larger spa was added in addition to the regular style indoor pool. We chose Kings Point over Century Village because all the units in Kings Point have their own laundry facilities unlike Century Village where not all units do. The real estate market is always changing but I know for a fact that our values have increased since we bought our unit. And since when is low taxes a bad thing??? As far as the second floor, all units in Kings Point either have a elevator or a Lift (a 2 person elevator) so you do not have to take the stairs unless you choose. Some people I know feel more comfortable on the second floor, I prefer the ground level myself, it is a personal choice. I do not know where City Guy got his facts or definition of only poor people retire here but that is not true. People choose to retire where it fits their individual needs. I could have retired to another more costly and probably more affluent area and paid for the address but chose to live here where all of my needs are met and it does not break the bank
All condo have a HOA maintenance fee, they need it to maintain the grounds an building, our fee us $359 per month and that includes cable. So since it is a personal choice you should really check them out because everyone has their own opinion and yours may be quite different from mine or City Guy but for me it is the right decision and I could not be happier.

I'm glad you like your new place. I just glanced on Realtor.com and found 10 units for sale for less than $20,000 clearly not high end living. There are another 25 units available up to $35,000. When you can buy a home for less money than a mid-grade compact car then clearly Donald Trump and the rest of the 1%r's won't be living there!

Here is an award winning documentary on Kings Point, clearly these are not wealthy folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAureRakiSk

Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times
Quote:

I was in Florida earlier this year and met a lady who came down to see her Mom for awhile who lives in Kings Point. She told me the flood that came thru there last year destroyed her place and the maintenance crew or whoever there at Kings Point had to tear her walls out at the bottom end due to damage. Did this affect all of Kings Point or just one section of it~? I have driven thru there looking and the security guard let me thru cause I was going to look at a place there, but from the outside of the place looks like an army barracks. I never went to see the place that a lady was pushing at me too hard. It did have a nice entertainment/community center.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM

Default Re:

Quote:
Thanks for your input!
Do you foresee any other special assessments on the horizon..?
I know there are sub condo associations within Kingspoint ..Are the cheapest units not the best ones to buy?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:49 AM

194 posts, read 427,667 times
Being in your fifty's you will be on the young side for CV or Kings Point. They are good places and in your price range along with being a part-timer they could serve your purpose. You can buy one on the low end and you can make some money if you update it. They are all secure and pretty well maintained communities with a lot of amentities. To me CV Boca looks the best. CV in Deerfield has a "younger" crowd and is fairly close to the beach. The HOA is not oppressive but it is run like a business due to the communities massive size. HOA fees cover everything but electric. Depending on what you buy, $400-500 a month should be your costs complete. You may also want to look at Wynmoor Village in Coconut Creek although the numbers for two bedrooms have gone up starting in the 60's. They also have that "younger" crowd. There are plenty of other communities throughout Delray Beach and Boynton that are in you general price range.
The people living in these communities are predominnately in the 70 plus range and I been in them all and I never get the feeling that I am looking at poor people. If you are okay with that these places are a good economical way to get a cheap condo in a pretty nice area.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Yes CV in Deerfield is starting to make sense to me too.As I have family in Pompano but don't want to live there..I think $6000 +/- year to hold a clean condo in Florida is reasonable enough.

Wondering now whats the cheapest way of owning/leasing/renting a car.Dont want to drive down mine or ship it ..as I may come and go a few times. Any cheap long term leasing/renting outfits or other ways?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,994 times
Is a car necessary? I thought that the area has a decent public transit system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach