Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:48 PM

9 posts, read 20,194 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Palm Beach County from Miami. He has a job in WPB and I have a job in Boca. We are in our early 30s with a 6 month old baby. We are trying to narrow down neighborhoods for our move keeping in mind that we will need a good school (though we are very open to private schools) and neither of us wants an awful commute.

We will likely rent for a few months to get to know the area but when we are ready to buy, our budget will be in the $575-650k range. We are outdoorsy and like to go for runs/walks as well as go out to eat and shop.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 04:10 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
Jupiter.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Jupiter.
Wouldn't that give me (with my job in Boca) an awful commute?

I'm not familiar with the traffic up there but I was focusing on areas south of WPB and north of Boca to split the commute for the two of us. Thoughts?

Old 05-27-2016, 06:32 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,814 times
Jupiter is very nice but would be a hike to Boca.
We're in our 30's (with a six month old) as well.
There's some nice newer neighborhoods in your price range zoned for good schools in West Boynton /Lake Worth, and Wellington that would make both your commutes relatively easily.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:37 AM

Sorry, seems I skipped over the Boca part��

A coworker commutes from Jupiter to Delray and is not pleased ;(

Old 05-29-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Jupiter is very nice but would be a hike to Boca.
We're in our 30's (with a six month old) as well.
There's some nice newer neighborhoods in your price range zoned for good schools in West Boynton /Lake Worth, and Wellington that would make both your commutes relatively easily.
I like Wellington for the schools and the lovely homes but it seems super far west. It looks like a somewhat long commute to Boca and I am I having trouble getting my mind around being that far inland.

On that note, when I search homes on the various listing sites, it seems like many of the nicer communities are west throughout PBC. Is that accurate?

I guess I'm just of the Dade County mindset where being east of 95 is much more desirable. Is that just something I have to get over? It seems odd to be so far from the water. And also it seems like it would be so much hotter moving so far inland.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:11 AM

293 posts, read 499,922 times
Yes think west, the farther west you go the nicer it gets quite often, especially in the Wellington area. You do not want to be east of 95 unless you are on the eastern side of the inter-coastal. Look into south-eastern wellington, communities are Isles at Wellington, Versailles, Oakmont Estates, Castellina, Grand Isles

Because Wellington is 12 miles west of the ocean you want to be in eastern wellington as western wellington will add 15 minutes more to the commutes. The communities I named above are all eastern wellington and all good communities. This would put you about equal commutes to Boca and WPB depending where in each city you are working. Figure 30-45 minutes commute for each during rush hour depending what part of the city you are working in

Old 05-30-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVG_Steve View Post
Yes think west, the farther west you go the nicer it gets quite often, especially in the Wellington area. You do not want to be east of 95 unless you are on the eastern side of the inter-coastal. Look into south-eastern wellington, communities are Isles at Wellington, Versailles, Oakmont Estates, Castellina, Grand Isles

Because Wellington is 12 miles west of the ocean you want to be in eastern wellington as western wellington will add 15 minutes more to the commutes. The communities I named above are all eastern wellington and all good communities. This would put you about equal commutes to Boca and WPB depending where in each city you are working. Figure 30-45 minutes commute for each during rush hour depending what part of the city you are working in
Thank you for the confirmation about the west vs east. That is very helpful.

Palm Beach County is only a 1-2 hours north of Dade and it seems like another world to me.

We will likely choose a 6 month rental in one of the areas all of you mentioned to get a feel for what/where we like before buying.

Any other PBC info or intel we should know would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, everyone.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 AM

There are some really nice communities off of Old Germantown Rd in Delray that seem to fly under the radar. Foxe Chase is most likely out of the ballpark , but there was an oddball for about 700 grand that would've been worth selling your proverbial eye teeth for.
Tropic Isle in Delray is nice. There could be something there. That's east of Federal. I know it can easily be twice your range on the intracoastal end but sometimes things come up.
Can't remember the names of the communities-I'd have to check but streets like Genoa Way are in a nice community east of Military near Linton. Straight shot to beach and Publix Trader Joes Michaels etc are right on the way. SW 35, 36 Ave, Whispering Oaks , Andover - lovely old oaks.
I'm not one for the western communities with surreal-looking entrances where beautiful old trees used to be,so I wouldn't be interested in most of those out west-but it's your call of course. If I could have 5-10 acres out there it would be different!

The communities are Oakmont, Verona Woods, Whispering Oaks, Andover and Rabbit Hollowe. Andover is gorgeous. Foxe Chase if you come into some cash�� If I were going to be south of Jupiter and could afford it, these would be my choices. When people find their pocket of paradise here they tend not to budge.

You can find nice communities in eastern areas- they're just hidden gems and it doesn't seem like there is too much turnover in them. Have lived here 40 years so I've seen a few things .around.

There may also be some nice places around west of Military in Lantana or Hypoluxo. There are some new communities off of Hypoluxo that I rode by yesterday but I didn't really look. They're not a huge hike to the beach, etc.
By the time you get here they should be further along. I did notice that one didn't have much yard space but that's not important to everyone!

Also new communities off of Lyons Rd in Boynton.

The new communities Capistara, Gulfstream Preserve and Silverwood by Lennar Homes might interest you. The drive from Military or Jog to the beach isn't that bad. Those are in west Lake Worth.
Don't know what you mean by "outdoorsy" but we do have some nice hiking up here.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 05-30-2016 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 AM

38 posts, read 54,103 times
There are lots of new construction in Lake Worth and Boynton off Hypoluxo. Very nice and in your price range. It's an easy drive to Boca as well. Take 441 and you are in Boca! :-) Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach