Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 02:38 AM

3,101 posts, read 2,005,662 times

Advertisements

I have a large # of new/newer computer books (languages, OS, software) & a few math & physics books, that I couldn't sell & would like to donate. I called the local library & was told they don't want them or anything textbook-like & if a book contains a software disc/CD, they definitely don't want it. I was surprised when told if I drop off books they don't want, they'll just discard them, rather than donate to the Goodwill. So, I don't want to take a chance they'll be discarded, because they'll certainly be a good resource for someone.

Since I also have 100 varying types of books, I'll give those to the Goodwill to sell, but I was thinking a school (or another organization) might benefit from the computer and/or math/physics books. I also have misc paper & envelopes (about 200 of each) & about 100 pens, pencils & highlighters to donate. Are there any parents in the area that think their school might like any of the above?

And, I might as well add the following to the post. I'm also in the process of selling a lot of (all new) small kitchen appliances, irons, small table lamps. For those that don't sell, again, is there any organization that might want those kinds of donations... like a place where women from shelters, who are now employed & setting up an apt could benefit from a few things? I don't know what those places would be called, so can't call around.

As a last resort, I'll donate the remainder to the Goodwill. But, they've gotten carloads from me recently, so I'm trying to spread it around.

Note: With household items & clothing, I was going to donate to the recent hurricane victims in TX, but I was in touch with 2 local organizations, that upon doing further research, found out were frauds. They've now "disappeared". So, if that's your suggestion, please offer a reputable organization.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
For ladies getting out of abusive relationships and starting over, there’s AVDA in Delray. Avdaonline.org. They will pick up your stuff or they have a couple of drop off points.

They’ve been around a long time. Have a great reputation.

VVA, an organization for vets and their families will come to your place and pick up your stuff, including textbooks.

Schedule at pickupplease.org.

That organization will redistribute your stuff to those that need it as well as re-sale.

If they can’t use it they will get it to those who can.

There’s also the Palm Beach county literacy coalition, the Delray Full Service Center, etc.

The Literacy Coalition has a program called After School Reads in which they teach kids math, science , etc.

The Delray Full Service Center is GED, headstart and community education, workplace reintegration, etc.

I know someone whose church group sets up shop in Delray to give clothing directly to the homeless/needy. If you dm me I can hook you up with her.

GoodLife SuperThrift in Lantana takes and sells everything, including magazines. Their prices tend to be lower than Goodwill’s as well.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-09-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I know someone whose church group sets up shop in Delray to give clothing directly to the homeless/needy. If you dm me I can hook you up with her.

GoodLife SuperThrift in Lantana takes and sells everything, including magazines. Their prices tend to be lower than Goodwill’s as well.
Wow! How wonderful, thank you BB for replying, with such a wealth of info. I've been giving away things in batches (basically, when I hit 2 large trash bags so full, I can barely lift them... I make a trip to the Goodwill), as it's too overwhelming to do all at once. I'll go through your list of places & separate out things accordingly, but if the last place in Lantana takes everything, that might be a good way to go with a lot of it.

Also, if the vet's org pick's up, that might help in gifting the bulk of it at once & if it helps vets & their families, even better.

This is so amazingly helpful. Thank you for taking your time!

I'll keep you posted & will let you know if I need your friend's # to donate to her church.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM

BB, I think I'm all set. The VVA will take everything, including clothing & shoes, books & the rest of the media I have & even all the small appliances & kitchenware. They'll also p/u, so it's very convenient. In fact, I just cleaned out the kitchen so I can stack everything in 1 spot, next to the front door.

I'll need time to sift through clothing & can donate some suits either to the VVA when they p/u or SuperThrift in Lantana.

I'd like to clean out most of it now, & when moving in Feb, I'll call VVA again to take the remainder.

Your info was very helpful. Thank you, I'm relieved. I was spending so much time searching & calling around. I'd never have found those places without your help!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:07 AM

So glad I could help!

The VVA organization has been a lifesaver for me when I just don’t have time to drop stuff off.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
So glad I could help!

The VVA organization has been a lifesaver for me when I just don’t have time to drop stuff off.
Then I found this... so perhaps, I'll call around & research some of the others you mentioned.

https://www.charitywatch.org/charity...-debunked-/142

Makes me wish I knew a family in need, who could just take it all... instead of going through a middleman who sifts the majority of profits off the top. Maybe your friend's church might be best... I'll check around a bit.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:12 PM

BB, I found AmVets' website, which has p/u available in Ft. L area... I'll have to call to see if they'll come to Boca or if they have drop offs nearby.

Thrift Stores - AMVETS National Service Foundation

Their programs receive 80% of their donations, which is great:
https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ry&orgid=11547

I just found charity navigator & other sites like it, so listed the links in the event you'd like to view it or if it will help anyone else reading the thread.

But, again, thank you, cuz I wouldn't have found it all without your initial help.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Yes I have found some other charities that just don’t pick up in Palm Beach county for whatever reason.

I believe Amvets picks up in Delray. I’ve seen the fliers.

Back in 2014 I think CharityWatch gave them an F rating, even though the director claimed 81% went directly to the programs. Another criticism was that they sold donors info.

I don’t know what’s changed or whatever.

I’m a textile artist , like gibbous or one-of -a -kind Magnolia Pearl-type stuff.
The bundles of clothes I buy from my wholesalers were bought from these donation programs and those boxes you see in the parking lot.

I guess at some point there are just things they can’t use.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-09-2017 at 02:48 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Yes I have found some other charities that just don’t pick up in Palm Beach county for whatever reason.

I believe Amvets picks up in Delray. I’ve seen the fliers.

Back in 2014 I think CharityWatch gave them an F rating, even though the director claimed 81% went directly to the programs. Another criticism was that they sold donors info.

I don’t know what’s changed or whatever.

I’m a textile artist , like gibbous or one-of -a -kind Magnolia Pearl-type stuff.
The bundles of clothes I buy from my wholesalers were bought from these donation programs and those boxes you see in the parking lot.

I guess at some point there are just things they can’t use.
Interesting info, thank you. Since I'm not in Delray, I'd probably need to drop off, in which case, there's a Goodwill 2-mi from me, so perhaps that'll be the best place after all. As for places which donate clothing to homeless, I'll have mostly suits & high heeled shoes to donate, so they're probably not appropriate for that community.

I'd never heard of CharityWatch before doing the recent search... but, we've all heard stories of orgs set up to benefit others or animals & how little trickles down to the actual cause. I've been heartbroken to find out horrible stories about PETA & the Red Cross. It's distressing to read.

In any event, I'll keep looking around. As far as paper & pencils, etc., I figured I'd bring them with me into the library little by little & just leave them on a table for people to take.

Your job sounds very interesting. Do you show locally?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
If you are looking to get rid of anything educational, research homeschool groups in your area. Sometimes they have sales, you may be able to post materials for sale, you will probably be swamped with people who will take them for free.

PBC has a HUGE homeschool population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
View detailed profiles of: