Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 05:07 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times

Advertisements

It seems like the two main job centers in Palm Beach County are in Boca Raton and West Palm Beach.

I've been focusing on West Palm Beach because it seems the northern part of Palm Beach county is much less developed and congested compared to the Southern Part of the county which seems to just be an extention of the horror that is suburban dade and broward county.

Anyone have opinions on the best places to find a decent sized townhouse (1200+ square feet) in the $200k-$250k range?

I've been looking at Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, and Tequesta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 05:33 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times
You could easily find a $200-250s townhome in Delray or Boynton Beach. That would put you about halfway between West Palm and Boca.

Oops, edited to add my apologies for overlooking the fact that you want to concentrate on the north side.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:41 PM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
I lived in Jupiter for 3 years and am returning in 6 months for good. I highly recommend Jupiter, Juno Beach, Tequesta, or Palm Beach Gardens. All are great places to live.

But I would rent for a year or three and see how the prices come down. You have lots and lots of rental choices right now. We can afford to buy but we are going to rent in Jupiter for a while. I have a feeling the prices will take a while, but eventually drop a ton. The insurance and property taxes have risen so much that the houses will end up below 2001 prices for them to start selling again. The inventory of homes for sale and rent grows every month and will soon reach the point where sellers and landlords have to realistically cut their prices 40-50% to move these properties.

Just in Jupiter, over 3000 properties are for sale and over 1000 for rent. Be patient, be a renter, the time to buy in will come in a few years.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Look at Abacoa in Jupiter. Prices have come down there a bit, but be careful. There's a huge high tech research park being built on site that could cause a new surge in demand for housing when complete.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:55 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
I wouldn't say I'm totally ruling out south county. Just from what research I've done, my preference would be for a less congested area and the northern part of the county seems to fit that.

What will ultimately decide things of course is where I end up finding a job since I won't be able to move until I get employment taken care of.

So I very well could end up in Delray or Boynton if I take a job in Boca. I'm only somewhat familiar with Delray Beach and that's because we visited very elderly relatives that lived in Kings Point. The whole area had the feel of death and was very depressing. At least this was the case in the late 80's and early 90's.

Has Delray Beach changed since then?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:04 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post

So I very well could end up in Delray or Boynton if I take a job in Boca. I'm only somewhat familiar with Delray Beach and that's because we visited very elderly relatives that lived in Kings Point. The whole area had the feel of death and was very depressing. At least this was the case in the late 80's and early 90's.

Has Delray Beach changed since then?
My goodness, yes.

At least, "Restaurant Row" along Atlantic Avenue was very much alive last winter.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:41 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Delray Beach is a very built-up and enjoyable city to live in. There is tons of stuff to do there. Unfortunately, the crime rates are also very high. West Palm Beach has the worst rates in Palm Beach County, though, and it's considered the 14th most dangerous city in the U.S. Boynton Beach is just like Delray but larger and more populated, but they're just as congested and crime-ridden, but lots of stuff to do as well.

If you're looking to live in the North and have lots of cash, I would recommend Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens. They're both very nice areas, but there's not *quite* as much to do there as in southern parts of the county if you're younger. Then again, if you're older you'll enjoy it more that way...

Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 PM

423 posts, read 1,643,258 times
Delray Beach is nice... i live here and enjoy it very much. There is tons to do by the downtown and the beaches are nice as well. Not to mention you will be stone through from Boca (more jobs) and very central to Broward as well as Northern parts of the county.

Having said than I like Palm Beach Gardens as well... it has a lot to offer. So I would say your choice should depend upon the location of your work. However if you have to pick one without finding a job first, I would suggest Delray due to its location. I am very familiar with the prices and you can certainly find a nice condo/TH for 200K - 250K in either city. You will probably get a better deal in PBG since there has been a lot of new construction there and lot of people put in money in these pre-construction/condo conversion hoping they will make mad money.... however due to the slowdown in the market buyers are calling in the shots which means better deals for buyers

Feel free to IM me if you have any questions or need more info on the pricing etc..

Old 04-12-2007, 05:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Take a look at this find in Abacoa in Jupiter: 1600 sq. ft, 2-3 bedrooms, 4?! baths, $239,000!!!!:

http://d.im.craigslist.org/J5/N2/PdwHG9KV4AVmlcag7XEMkwefHm9u.jpg (broken link)

http://westpalmbeach.craigslist.org/rfs/307169989.html (broken link)

Or this one in Timberwalk in Jupiter:

http://homepics.realtor.com/image10/http/westpalmbeach/listings/large/068/r2754551_1.jpg (broken link)

2 bedroom, 2.5 baths, 1417 sq. ft, $248,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach