Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 7,342 times

Advertisements

I've been swimming in the info. on these boards for a while and now I would appreciate any help on an upcoming move.

This move will be based on a job relocation to Palm Beach (3999 RCA Blvd.) if I so choose to take it.

Right now, I live in Beverly Hills and am originally from Pittsburgh, PA. I don't really care about traffic because I don't think it can get any worse than Los Angeles. Coming from an earthquake area and blizzard area before, I'm not really concerned with the weather, but moreso on area safety (crime and etc.) and demographics. I was looking to rent before buying and have narrowed my search to North Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens (2 bdr or more). My wife and I are in our mid-thirties with no children. We aren't rolling in money, but do have expensive furniture, decor, and especially vehicles. We don't have an issue with the multi-cultural aspect of Palm Beach and are looking for a short commute if possible.

So based on this info, should we be looking in any other areas in addition or rather than the aforementioned areas? What are the good and bad points about NPB and PBG. Should we be considering an apartment, condo, or townhouse to rent? If anyone has any recommendations on a gated/guarded community, they would be greatly appreciated.

Even though I still have tons of questions, this will give me a good start. Also, if anyone thinks of any more pertinent things I maybe overlooking, please point those out. I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks to everyone for their time and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 PM

5,027 posts, read 10,755,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoFLA View Post
I've been swimming in the info. on these boards for a while and now I would appreciate any help on an upcoming move.

This move will be based on a job relocation to Palm Beach (3999 RCA Blvd.) if I so choose to take it.

Right now, I live in Beverly Hills and am originally from Pittsburgh, PA. I don't really care about traffic because I don't think it can get any worse than Los Angeles. Coming from an earthquake area and blizzard area before, I'm not really concerned with the weather, but moreso on area safety (crime and etc.) and demographics. I was looking to rent before buying and have narrowed my search to North Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens (2 bdr or more). My wife and I are in our mid-thirties with no children. We aren't rolling in money, but do have expensive furniture, decor, and especially vehicles. We don't have an issue with the multi-cultural aspect of Palm Beach and are looking for a short commute if possible.

So based on this info, should we be looking in any other areas in addition or rather than the aforementioned areas? What are the good and bad points about NPB and PBG. Should we be considering an apartment, condo, or townhouse to rent? If anyone has any recommendations on a gated/guarded community, they would be greatly appreciated.

Even though I still have tons of questions, this will give me a good start. Also, if anyone thinks of any more pertinent things I maybe overlooking, please point those out. I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks to everyone for their time and help!
I think that you are on the right track. Even if you weren't going to be working in the PBGardens area, I would suggest living there because it is very safe and has a great location (close to downtown WPB and Jupiter and 10 mins. from the beach). You can check out Wellington and Royal Palm Beach, which are also pretty safe (PBG is safer) but your commute will be at least 45 mins. to everything, as these areas are located farther west. You can also consider Jupiter, which is a little farther north of PBG but is also nice and safe. In Jupiter, Abacoa is the newer area/development that is quite popular.
In PBG, there are several gated communities that are very nice--San Matera and PGA National are two that I would recommend. I would try to stay in the PGA Blvd. area rather than the Nothlake area.
I really wouldn't consider a condo but only because they tend towards more restrictions, which I don't care for. It all really depends on your preferences. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,966,916 times
Although I'm opinionated I can't suggest anything there because I never really looked. I can tell you my dermatologist lives in PB Gardens and told me to move there LOL. I've been through PB Gardens and although it was nice, it just looked like suburbia to me and although I've been coming to FL all my life I wanted water.

North Palm Beach is ok too and closer to water. You could consider a great condo rental on water for a year or so.

I think you could check out Juno Beach to Jupiter ..it's very nice there... although in "commute times" I can't swear to the time. But it's only 5 or 6 miles. I guess it depends on what you want.

I'm guessing you'd want to avoid taking I95 because although the traffic is nothing compared to other places, PGA is where I notice it start to clog up. I forget if it's still under construction or not there. In PHila you can sit for 45 minutes on I95 in the morning to go 2-3 exits and I dont think PGA is that way, although I never took it in rush hour.

I have sat in traffic a long time in Jupiter trying to get ON I95 at rush hour when I found myself there at 5 pm by coincidence.

My idea of a relo to Florida is to be on water or as close as possible but not everyone agrees. BUT with NO KIDS you can chose just about anywhere so why confine yourself to "suburbia" since you dont have to ? That's how I see it anyway. I'd go for the fat condo on the water for now then decide later what you really want.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,204 times
I agree you want to be North of Northlake Blvd. There are a few small neighborhoods east of US 1 in North Palm Beach. They have smaller / older houses and are on (or close to the intercosatal).
Alot depends on your price range. You don't have to spend a million dollars.
I too am considering moving to WPB area with my 2 yr twins. I have alittle bit of an advantage because we have been vacationing there for at least 10 yrs now. I have friends that live in Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens. Both are nice areas. We want to live in Jupiter (schools, alittle less congestion,close enough to things)

Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,966,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
I agree you want to be North of Northlake Blvd. There are a few small neighborhoods east of US 1 in North Palm Beach. They have smaller / older houses and are on (or close to the intercosatal).
Yes I looked there too. My kid was living in WPB and I was considering moving to PB county and would have in a minute but he decided to move back to Phila LOL.

There are a ton of short term rentals in the condos from Lakeshore Drive up through Jupiter. A nice 3-4 month rental with gorgeous direct water view for 1200 or 1400 ? You can t beat that IMO. Of course the rent is less for annual versus seasonal but it's off season now. I seem to remember even less on some units in Old Port Cove. Any of those areas would be a really quick commute I'd think since RCA is right there. Unless it's bumper to bumper for some reason ...someone who knows for sure can advise.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,342 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and information! Keep it coming!

As long as RCA and PGA isn't like the 405 and 10 here in L.A. (an 8-10 lane parking lot), I'm happy. In L.A., your traveling is measured in time, not distance. For iinstance, on regular streets a couple of miles can be an hour or more and the highways, well sometimes it seems like you're renting a piece of hwy for the night.

I'm having a little bit of trouble finding a pet-friendly place for the moment and unfurnished at the same time, but think that that could be overcome. The 2 zip codes that have been catching my eye is 33408 and 33410. I'm searching San Matera too.

Due to weather, should I be avoiding first floor places or is that not going to be any problem?

Old 04-23-2009, 03:55 PM

5,027 posts, read 10,755,074 times
If you have pets then, yes, it will take you a bit longer. The only places that I know of that are pet-friendly are going to be out west (Wellington/Royal Palm Beach.) Lots of places have breed and weight restrictions. There is one place that I know of in Wellington that does not have breed or weight restrictions, is affordable and is reputable, but it will give you a longer commute (about 45 mins., maybe more--however, not on '95; you can take the turnpike, which you have to pay for, but it has less traffic than '95.)
I avoid first floor units because of the weather but also because the top-floor apartments usually have vaulted ceilings and I think that they are more bright and open. However, this does add to your electric bill, especially in the summer.
33408 is a great zip code. I had thought of moving there for awhile because of the location and its proximity to Juno Beach, which is the best beach in the area (also the only dog-friendly beach in the area.) I didn't move there because I couldn't find a place. There are some houses that have been fixed up and that are really nice. But then there are others that have had no renovations and are not ideal. In that neighborhood, it depends on the street or area within the zip. Some are fixed up, others are not. But if you can find something there that has been renovated, it is one of the best places to live. There is a park right around the corner and the [dog-friendly] beach is 5 minutes away.
Fortunately, I don't think that any of the traffic here will be as bad as it is in L.A.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:38 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 661,017 times
PGA can have traffic because of the bridge which is always being repaired or is always up while boats are going by. I have never seen traffic on RCA and I lived in PBG for 20 years.

I personally always avoid first floor places because they freak me out. People are walking by in the parking lot, it just doesn't feel private. San Matera is nice and they have a 100 lb and under pet policy so that is great for pet owners. I lived in Mira Flores for a few years and that was nice, it was built far before any of the other condos and was the only condo community in the mall area for a long time, I don't think there is much traffic or noice there now eventhough it has been built up. Best of luck to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach