Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:47 PM

94 posts, read 274,500 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I may be moving to Delray (hubby's job). I notice a dramatic difference in housing prices. Can someone tell me some nice areas to live where the prices aren't so high? Wish I could afford to be on the beach but wow.
We're looking for a home or condo with 3 bdrms, low maintenance yard, older community (not so much families with kids).
We have family that will visit, grown children, 2 grandchildren.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 PM

25 posts, read 106,454 times
Yes, I can tell you all about Delray. I need to ask you a few questions first. Do you qualify for a 55+ active adult community? Do you have any pets? What is your price range?

removed. Different communities command different prices. It sounds like you're leaning towards a 55+ community, which would be great. Prices tend to be lower there.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 11-03-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,830,458 times
Hi. I am not that familiar with Delray though I live in Boca. A lot will depend on the price you can spend. A few places one I had family live in years ago but it is a country club community which comes with high hoa is gleneagles. Another would be polo club but I think that is delray/boca border. Be careful in Delray because there are areas that are not safe. There are many good deals on the actual unit but many hoa fees are expensive. Sorry I wish I could be more help.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLoverInBoca View Post
Yes, I can tell you all about Delray. I need to ask you a few questions first. Do you qualify for a 55+ active adult community? Do you have any pets? What is your price range?

I am realtor in the Boca/Delray area. Different communities command different prices. It sounds like you're leaning towards a 55+ community, which would be great. Prices tend to be lower there.
Hi Doglover... My husband has an interview with the Delray Beach PD so I'm looking into the area Yes, we qualify for a 55+ adult community - but I'm not quite sure what that label entails? Is it one of the communities where everyone drives the little golf carts? We do have grandchildren that would visit from time to time so would want 3 bedrooms (one for an office/computer/hobby room)
I've heard the cost of living there is quite a bit higher than here (Portsmouth, VA) so I'm a bit worried about affordability (and my husband is quite concerned about it)! And also concerned with safety, of course.
We don't have a pet right now, but would like to get a dog - we had a chow for 15 years, she passed away 2 years ago and we're waiting for one of us to retire before getting another pet. Hopefully the cost of living isn't so high that I won't be able to do that.
Our house here is a 3 bedroom, 2 story - a great house in a nice neighborhood. We're concerned about trying to sell it and may just rent it out if we wind up moving out there.
thanks!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM

25 posts, read 106,454 times
Hi - In answer to your question about the active adult 55+ communities in our area, no, everyone does not drive a golf cart! These are communities with homes or villas that are made for today's active adult lifestyle. They offer 2 and 3 bedroom homes, and grandkids are welcome to visit. They are just not allowed to live there.

To be honest, I am not familiar with the cost of living in Portsmouth, VA. I would need to know what price range you are looking in in Florida. There are single family homes on streets, gated all-age communities and active adult communities. We have everything here.

I noticed you said you had a chow. Do you plan on getting another chow or just another dog? This is important to consider when buying in a gated community in south Florida as many communities have weight restrictions on pets.

I hope I've answered your questions. If you any other questions, please let me know.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLoverInBoca View Post
Hi - In answer to your question about the active adult 55+ communities in our area, no, everyone does not drive a golf cart! These are communities with homes or villas that are made for today's active adult lifestyle. They offer 2 and 3 bedroom homes, and grandkids are welcome to visit. They are just not allowed to live there.

To be honest, I am not familiar with the cost of living in Portsmouth, VA. I would need to know what price range you are looking in in Florida. There are single family homes on streets, gated all-age communities and active adult communities. We have everything here.

I noticed you said you had a chow. Do you plan on getting another chow or just another dog? This is important to consider when buying in a gated community in south Florida as many communities have weight restrictions on pets.

I hope I've answered your questions. If you any other questions, please let me know.
No, not another chow that was a rescued dog. We loved her to pieces but the breed is very obstinate!! Probably a more middle sized laid back kind of dog these days
Can you tell me which neighborhoods are ok? is it one side or another of the highway?
thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,577 times
The older 55 plus communities for the most part are only 2 bedrooms and a majority of them do not
allow dogs. so check that out first. West Delray has a lot of seniors..There are some communities
thrown in with no age restrictions...The zip for part of West Delray around Atlantic Ave. is 33484..go
into Realtor.com with that zip and see what comes up...tons of places for sale now and at good prices.
Remember condos have monthly maintenance fees and HOA (homeowners associations) also have
monthly fees...It depends what you want, If you want a house or you want to live in a condo...Condo's
can be difficult if you are coming from your own home...many do's and don'ts but the upside is for most
of them, your roofs are taken care of, your lawn maintenance, outside painting, etc...versus a home where all that is the homeowner's responsibility...The older I get, the less I want to be bothered with
all that, so that's why we opted for a condo...We have grandchildren visit too and for the most part
there's no problem. Of course the closer you get to the beach, the more expensive they become. but your
best bet is to call a realtor that knows the area, tell them your price and they can guide you in the right
direction. Good luck

Old 03-21-2010, 04:53 PM

thanks Delray Patty That's great advice.
Can you tell me about these Lakes they keep advertising with the houses? Are they really lakes? Can you swim in them, boat on them?
thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 05:04 PM

Is there a list somewhere of the "good" communities? I've read somewhere that some of the communities have gone downhill and have a lot of foreclosures and have undesirables moving in due to the low cost of the homes. How do you know which ones to avoid?
Thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 11:24 PM

152 posts, read 335,411 times
Most of the Lakes are man made and not for swimming. They are fed by canals for the most part and would have gators. They use screens at some lake entrances but that can not guarantee that gators could not be in the lakes. Most allow fishing, some allow boating. Lake Ida is a large lake. Most of the lake fronts are placed with homes all around and are very calming and create a breeze as well. They are considered a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach