Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 AM

282 posts, read 484,997 times

Advertisements

West Virginia 2 upgrade to begin Monday - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel

Hopefully before I'm 90 it will be 4 lanes all the way from Parkersburg to Wheeling. A commitment to that would seem to give WV the advantage for cracker plants in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:28 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Exactly, that is very much needed. WV 2 needs to be 4 lanes from Parkersburg to Huntington too, and I68 developed between Morgantown and Moundsville through to I470 via Ohio 7. That would open up the entire Ohio Valley to make maximum advantage of the shale gas and open up direct transport links for finished products to east coast markets.

If the four communities involved with this thing could get together, they could make it happen. There would be enough political muscle between Morgantown, Huntington, Parkersburg, and Wheeling to get it through and reprioritize road construction. These developments, along with our pressing infrastructure needs in Morgantown need to be addressed before all the roads to nowhere. It is just common sense.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Exactly, that is very much needed. WV 2 needs to be 4 lanes from Parkersburg to Huntington too, and I68 developed between Morgantown and Moundsville through to I470 via Ohio 7. That would open up the entire Ohio Valley to make maximum advantage of the shale gas and open up direct transport links for finished products to east coast markets.

If the four communities involved with this thing could get together, they could make it happen. There would be enough political muscle between Morgantown, Huntington, Parkersburg, and Wheeling to get it through and reprioritize road construction. These developments, along with our pressing infrastructure needs in Morgantown need to be addressed before all the roads to nowhere. It is just common sense.
Agree 100%.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
Agree 100%.
I agree as well, it would be huge for the entire region.

Second on the list would be to complete Route 35 as 4 lanes on that 11 mile stretch from Buffalo to just outside of Point Pleasant. That would open up commercial trade between Southern WV and the Midwestern states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 AM

I've always felt that the Ohio River is one of the state's greatest assets, but I don't see the state doing a whole lot to capitalize on that. In this day and age you need good highways if you want to compete. The entire western part of the state has so much potential for growth with good terrain (relatively speaking for WV), very pretty country, and an abundance of natural resources.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
There is a reason for that. There aren't any real population centers in the state, so the power brokers have always been able to play one section off against the others. The real political power in our state is 1 - energy interests and 2- unions. Energy interests have more interest in development in the interior regions to support their mining efforts. Unions are largely controlled by energy interests since the "globalist" initiatives of the ruling elite. The result is little interest in developing the peripheral areas because that would be expensive, and because the real power is supporting the interest of energy investors, not the people of the state.

When the natives get too restless, they once in awhile throw out a bone but don't look for any change in the status quo until we start getting populists elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia