Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,708 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

About to move in the Huntsfield division in Charles Town.

I am just trying to get an idea of (monthly) utility costs in that area as I am having a hard time getting good data.

Home has metered (I believe) propane coming in from storage tanks and a back-up heat pump for second floor.

Large house but most lights will be off and the thermostats will be set quite low 60 in the winter. Water use will probably be kinda high though.

any input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 PM

37 posts, read 111,141 times
I live there and we spend 165 a month on budget (read same cost each month) on propane but we also have the Heater to 72 in the winter. So you would be less by far.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:31 PM

537 posts, read 958,689 times
We average around $240/mo on our propane tank, and $130/mo on electricity. I'd venture to guess your amts will be lower than that though -- 60 in the winter? Yikes! (that's icicles hanging from my moustache)

Our water is free (sorta), we have our own well.

You'll probably also have to pay $27/mo for trash collection.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
We average around $240/mo on our propane tank, and $130/mo on electricity. I'd venture to guess your amts will be lower than that though -- 60 in the winter? Yikes! (that's icicles hanging from my moustache)

Our water is free (sorta), we have our own well.

You'll probably also have to pay $27/mo for trash collection.
Thanks for the info! I was under the impression it was natural gas and noticed a propane tank so I figured costs would be higher...we recently moved to the area from interior Alaska and 60-62 degrees should suffice for the winter...but we shall see.

Free water sounds like a plus but you kinda threw in sorta...lol...is it a case by case basis? Thanks again and what is your opinion of the neighborhood...too late to disuade me now.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 AM

37 posts, read 111,141 times
Water isnt free and as far as I know we cant have wells in Huntfield. Water is from the City and depending on how much you use it is metered at a steady rate per 1000 gallons. Worst bill we had was 125 for water and sewer. Trash collection is part of HOA payment.

You can pay propane in three ways...up front payment (cheapest rate they say) with what they believe will be your usage for the year, budget plan which is again based on what they think you will use but is charged monthly at a set amount which would only change once a year, and month to month which has a flexible rate based on monthly propane cost and the charge is you usage for the month so it can be REALLY high in winter and next to nothing in summer.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvaspartan View Post
Water isnt free and as far as I know we cant have wells in Huntfield. Water is from the City and depending on how much you use it is metered at a steady rate per 1000 gallons. Worst bill we had was 125 for water and sewer. Trash collection is part of HOA payment.

You can pay propane in three ways...up front payment (cheapest rate they say) with what they believe will be your usage for the year, budget plan which is again based on what they think you will use but is charged monthly at a set amount which would only change once a year, and month to month which has a flexible rate based on monthly propane cost and the charge is you usage for the month so it can be REALLY high in winter and next to nothing in summer.
Thanks a lot for the info. Helps out quite a bit.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 AM

537 posts, read 958,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtowv View Post
Free water sounds like a plus but you kinda threw in sorta...lol...is it a case by case basis? Thanks again and what is your opinion of the neighborhood...too late to disuade me now.
Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm not actually in Huntsfield, just live near Charles Town, thus I felt qualified to give estimates on utilities. Hope I didn't throw you off.

Where we live we have our own well, and by sorta free I just meant that we still have to pay for water softener salt and the water softener (conditioning) machine itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: