Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:38 PM

13 posts, read 54,174 times

Advertisements

What is the total cost of tolls on the WV Turnpike from Charleston to the state line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
The World Wide Web is a wonderful source of information. For example, toll information for the West Virginia Turnpike can be found here.

If you're paying cash, it's $2.00 per toll plaza, or $6.00 end-to-end. If you have a WV EZ-Pass transponder, the per-segment cost drops to $1.30. But out-of-state EZ-Pass pays the same as cash ($2.00).

Old 04-17-2010, 05:58 PM

13 posts, read 54,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
The World Wide Web is a wonderful source of information. For example, toll information for the West Virginia Turnpike can be found here.

If you're paying cash, it's $2.00 per toll plaza, or $6.00 end-to-end. If you have a WV EZ-Pass transponder, the per-segment cost drops to $1.30. But out-of-state EZ-Pass pays the same as cash ($2.00).

Yes, the Web is a wonderful source of information: my History shows my having previously visited the site you've linked more than once, along with several other sites which popped up when I Googled "WV tolls". However, I found the data there a bit ambiguous. The heading lists ALL toll plazas - I questioned whether it was all combined or the price at each plaza. In my experience, every toll plaza on the same highway within a state may not have the same fee. That's why I looked for a definitive answer here. In a forum. On the Web.

I thank you for your response, but there was no need for you to get snide and superior.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:11 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post

That is definitely illegal. Discriminating against residents of other states on an Interstate highway is not going to cut it if anybody takes that to court. That's a certainty. You heard it here first.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:25 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That is definitely illegal. Discriminating against residents of other states on an Interstate highway is not going to cut it if anybody takes that to court. That's a certainty. You heard it here first.
I disagree because the extra charge could be considered an extra billing fee for the service of the convenience and would predict that the courts would uphold the fee. Also, the state of WV has a % of "credit" for bidding of contracts that favor in-state bidders. I see no problem here.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:03 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
I have EZ Pass. They couldn't substantiate an extra billing fee just because a particular pass is issued by WV. It is an automated system with automatic deductions from prepaid accounts. There is a difference between a State spending money, and charging money. Such a fee would likely fail on two counts... first of all it is discriminatory in nature and is being charged on a highway that is primarily maintained with Federal funds, secondly having differential fees for users of different states could be considered a restraint on interstate commerce.

I don't know if anybody would bother to bring suit for 70 cents, but if a regular user from another state were to do so I'd be surprised if they didn't win. Such a discriminatory arrangement is unprecidented as far as I know If they really want to charge less, they'd be ahead to reduce the overall charge for everyone to some degree.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
What about hunting and fishing licenses? There's a higher rate for non-residents for those, too.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,583 times
What's the cash fee for 5 axle 80,000# from south end to I-64 west.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

Its a pretty common practice nationwide

Old 07-07-2015, 10:58 AM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Semi-related. I was on Rt. 43 in PA a few months ago heading from Washington to Uniontown on the toll road and didn't have any cash on me. They only accepted cash or EZ Pass which is complete bs because no one carries cash anymore. And because I didn't have cash, the sent me a ticket in the mail for the price of the toll (around $1.35 or something) plus like a $25 processing fee. It wasn't a fine....it was a processing fee....because that damn state is too stupid to put card readers in at the unmanned tollbooths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: