Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 06:38 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_Zoo

I wondered this after finding out not only that there's no zoo in Charleston, but also the "Hovatter's Wildlife Zoo" which is the only zoo in the state outside of the panhandle is over a half-hour away from any Interstate highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 07:34 PM

456 posts, read 602,982 times
there is the West Virginia wildlife center in french creek. it is considered a zoological park and has animals either in West Virginia or native to it. it is about 20 minutes south of Buckhannon. its a great day trip

Old 12-09-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
there is the West Virginia wildlife center in french creek. it is considered a zoological park and has animals either in West Virginia or native to it. it is about 20 minutes south of Buckhannon. its a great day trip
That's true, but I had the type of zoo that has animals from all over the world in my mind.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:49 PM

456 posts, read 602,982 times
unfortunately i don't think in terms of population we could have a large zoo. maybe if one had been built 60-70 years ago in Charleston it would be feasible to upkeep now. it would be nice to have a nice aquarium in the state also.at least in most parts of the state we are close enough to make a day trip to a major city zoo. although zoos are nice i am fortunate enough to live in Elkins and see wildlife daily. it may not be lions, tigers, and giraffes but i love it. hopefully someday we have some people in charge with some insight to make our state better.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
unfortunately i don't think in terms of population we could have a large zoo. maybe if one had been built 60-70 years ago in Charleston it would be feasible to upkeep now. it would be nice to have a nice aquarium in the state also.at least in most parts of the state we are close enough to make a day trip to a major city zoo. although zoos are nice i am fortunate enough to live in Elkins and see wildlife daily. it may not be lions, tigers, and giraffes but i love it. hopefully someday we have some people in charge with some insight to make our state better.
How well known is the "Hovatter's Wildlife Zoo" in your area?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:45 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
I had never heard of Hovatter's until I moved to Morgantown for college (born and raised in Parkersburg). Now that I live in Huntington, I don't hear anything about it at all again. I still haven't visited, either.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I had never heard of Hovatter's until I moved to Morgantown for college (born and raised in Parkersburg). Now that I live in Huntington, I don't hear anything about it at all again. I still haven't visited, either.
I'm guessing it's mostly known among people in the Morgantown area then.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:23 AM

632 posts, read 832,531 times
I grew up in Huntington. Never heard of it until I moved to Morgantown. I've been once. It's okay. Small but impressive selection of animals for something its size. Also nice how close you can get compared to other zoos.

But WV building a large zoo just isn't feasible. Most of WV population is within a couple hours drive to Columbus, Cincinnati, the National Zoo, Pittsburgh Zoo, and Baltimore Aquarium. Of which the first 2 are two of the best in the country as is the Baltimore Aquarium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia