Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 06:06 PM

583 posts, read 594,193 times

Advertisements

So I ran across this article in the WVGazette that mentions that Coors once wanted to build a brewery in WV...when was this?

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Daniel W. Martin II: All the stuff that turns millennials off WV, same goes for this Gen-Xer

Apparently they wanted to take advantage of the mountain water in that area. Could you imagine something like the Bourbon Trail over in KY existing in WV only instead of bourbon it would be beer? That area could have been a tourist destination for folks to visit the brewery and then take in some recreation that the area has to offer. Who knows maybe more breweries would have located here too. The locals shot this down so we'll never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
So I ran across this article in the WVGazette that mentions that Coors once wanted to build a brewery in WV...when was this?

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Daniel W. Martin II: All the stuff that turns millennials off WV, same goes for this Gen-Xer

Apparently they wanted to take advantage of the mountain water in that area. Could you imagine something like the Bourbon Trail over in KY existing in WV only instead of bourbon it would be beer? That area could have been a tourist destination for folks to visit the brewery and then take in some recreation that the area has to offer. Who knows maybe more breweries would have located here too. The locals shot this down so we'll never know.
Yeah, it's the old "If I didn't need a job, I would live there in a heartbeat" type article written by some semi-guilty native who left.

It is code for "The standard of living I want for myself is more important than living in my hometown." Nothing wrong with this type of sentiment, but I feel it is a more accurate way of describing the situation (looking inward at your own desires) as opposed to blaming the community (justifying a tough decision by casting the blame outward at economic and social factors beyond any one person's control.)

I work 2nd shift in a terminal position because it is what allows me to live where I want to live, my ancestral home. My salary and future prospects were much better when I lived in the D.C. suburbs, but jobs and $$$ matter less to me than supporting my home by sticking around, living here, and raising my kids here.

The truth is.......most people who live in Appalachia have to make this decision. I know for some it is an easy choice, one way or the other. For others the decision is fraught with constant relitigation and 2nd thoughts. Either way, I much prefer it when people understand the pivot point of the decision is rarely the community itself; it is nearly always the desires and expectations of the individual.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-17-2017 at 07:48 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
JohnNada,

I agree with you that the potential was off the charts. IF a trail could've been developed, it could've stretched from Fayetteville to Snowshoe and provided a nice economic spark to that area.

Turning Coors away is just another example of West Virginia getting in its own way yet again.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times
This is the first I have ever heard that Coors wanted to locate in Richwood. I graduated in 1966 and was going to return but things didn't work out.

I would love to read some accounts of this offer and the towns people who turned it down.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM

20 posts, read 18,527 times
There still is hope for beer tourism in WV. Vermont is the prime example. People travel to Vermont from all over the country to visit breweries throughout the state. Some of which are located in very rural areas without cell service. I actually made a trip up there specifically to go to breweries last year and it absolutely lived up to the hype. They have some of the best in the country. WV has come a along way in the last 3 years with respect to craft breweries. There continue to be new breweries opening but the quality isn't quite there yet to generate significant tourism specifically for beer. There are some things that need to happen to improve the climate for beer in the state: 1)raise the ABV limit from 12% to somewhere in the 20% range. This will allow WV brewers to make high ABV styles that can generate strong demand from the people who would travel for beer. 2) improve the growler laws that limit each person to 2 64oz growlers per day. There really shouldn't be a cap on growler fills. Breweries often set their own limits based on supply and demand. 3) The government should incentivize brewers who want to start a new brewery in WV. I absolutely hate corporate welfare and tax incentives but this is a case where it would help the industry develop within the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia